Hair Transplants Anyone have Experience to Share

Eddy,

The hair transplant industry has radically changed since "plugs" were routinely used. Now the docs use "micro-grafts" which only one or two hair folicles are put in one spot. The up-side--looks natural; the down-side--one set is not enough to give you normal density, and each procedure is ridiculously expensive (like $5K - $8K, in fact I talked to one of the big names in the field who want $15K for one set of micro-grafts). If you want to make an intelligent decision about it, go and do a consult with a hair transplant guy/gal and see what they say!

Zeek

Thats what they want yo to believe. Again, if you do it now and you are just starting to go bald, what happens in a few years and you loose more hair? Now you need more transplants.
I have very little trust myself. I suspect most are greedy liers.

It is now called hair grafts. Instead of the plug, which left a round mark on your scalp, they now take a cluster from the back of your head were the hair is thick, and make a thin slice in the front, and transplant it.

Once it the skin recovers, and the hair grows out, it is said to be undetectable

I have no idea, which is why I started this thread.

Eddy,

The hair transplant industry has radically changed since "plugs" were routinely used. Now the docs use "micro-grafts" which only one or two hair folicles are put in one spot. The up-side--looks natural; the down-side--one set is not enough to give you normal density, and each procedure is ridiculously expensive (like $5K - $8K, in fact I talked to one of the big names in the field who want $15K for one set of micro-grafts). If you want to make an intelligent decision about it, go and do a consult with a hair transplant guy/gal and see what they say!

Zeek
I did, it is a lot of money, but I have this health care credit, that offers 0 percent interest as long as you pay within one year.

I used it to finance my dental work. When I am finished paying that off, I fiquired I could use it for the hair transplants. So it is more of a quality concern, then cost.

I have very little trust myself. I suspect most are greedy liers.

It is now called hair grafts. Instead of the plug, which left a round mark on your scalp, they now take a cluster from the back of your head were the hair is thick, and make a thin slice in the front, and transplant it.

Once it the skin recovers, and the hair grows out, it is said to be undetectable

I have no idea, which is why I started this thread.
Don't do it Eddy. A friend of mine had the procedure a few years back and now has a huge horseshoe shaped scar on the back of his head. For it to be successfull for him, he would have needed numerous sessions, which i am told are painful and expensive. He has since given up, and now shaves it close, but if you look closely, you could see little dots where the new follicles were planted.

Don't do it Eddy. A friend of mine had the procedure a few years back and now has a huge horseshoe shaped scar on the back of his head. For it to be successfull for him, he would have needed numerous sessions, which i am told are painful and expensive. He has since given up, and now shaves it close, but if you look closely, you could see little dots where the new follicles were planted.
That may of been a scalp reduction.

Eddy, I really wasn't trying to be funny. There are two main reasons why I thought of it.

A) Most nose jobs/plastic surgery looks better than hair transplants IMO
B) Probably less expensive than hair transplant in the long run.
PB - Nose jobs can effect your breathing and talking;

I really wish I found someone who had them done.

Many people say they can tell, but what I am thinking is that the ones that look good, you can not tell.

Uh Hum - From the Bald One

Eddy you anti-baldite bastard!...:)

The best thing you can do for yourself is shave it all. Its fun, its liberating and the women really dig it.

So join the revolution. SHAVE IT ALL

I have had two hair transplants - both enormously successful. Not any worse
than going to the dentist for some basic work. They grafted hair from the back
of my head onto the front/top. There were stitches that had to be removed -
no big deal. So what grew was my own hair, natural as can be.
Requires no maintenance. I wore a hat for a couple of days after each time,
(OK, here come the jokes) and there was nothing bad about the way it looked
in those first few days. It's pricey, but I think very worthwhile.

Last edited:
I have had two hair transplants - both enormously successful. Not any worse
than going to the dentist for some basic work. They grafted hair from the back
of my head onto the front/top. There were stitches that had to be removed -
no big deal. So what grew was my own hair, natural as can be.
Requires no maintenance. I wore a hat for a couple of days after each time,
(OK, here come the jokes) and there was nothing bad about the way it looked
in those first few days. It's pricey, but I think very worthwhile.
Ryan - Thanks, I was looking for someone who had the experience. I know everyone is advising me not to do it, but I can not pull of the bold look. I know one guy who had it done and it looks good, would never know. He has different hair texture then mine, and darker skin color, so I am not sure if it is a good comparison.

Few questions:

What was the price?
Did it leave scars?
Does the new hair have the same texture?
How hard is it to detect?

thanks

If your talking about transplants....which according to the title of the thread I assume you are, unless you are planning on transplanting pubic hair I guess the answer to that would be yes.
I asked this question, because the guy who does my hair told me that from his experience, it is not like the original hair. This may be due to the fact that it is transplanted.

Few questions: (See my answers next to your questions)

What was the price? The price usually depends on how many grafts are done, but I will say that for the average transplant, the cost would range between $1500 - $3000. Often, there is another transplant done at a later date to fill in further. This was done by a dermatologist. Since this was several years ago, it is very possible the price has dropped as techniques get better.

Did it leave scars? Yes, there were small scars at the back of my head, but ya gotta look close to see them - they are virtually undetectable.

Does the new hair have the same texture? Yes, same texture.

How hard is it to detect? Impossible - once it grows in, there is no way anyone could possibly guess I had a hair transplant.

Let me know if you have more questions.

And if you think it is expensive - well it is - but the results, as described
above are terrific. I wound up having two transplants. Earlier this year I
had chemotherapy and lost all my hair - when it grew back, all of it grew back,
included the transplanted areas.

Last edited: