Hair Transplants Anyone have Experience to Share

I still have enough hair left on my head, that am not called boldy, but I must face the fact in a few years, it will be apparent that I am going bold.

I thought about shaving my head, but because of my facial features, I doubt if I could pull it off.

I think hair transplants may be a good answer. I know it takes time to grow and fill in, so if I get them done now, it will give me the time needed.

Anyone out there had transplants? Do you know someone who has? I am interested in any and all information you can share.

It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EddyBear

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
You see, Eddy, you are tall enough that you can start out by buzzing your hair. Go to the barbershop and tell your guy to start off slow. Tell him to use a "3" on the clipper. Try it out. What's the worst that is going to happen, you don't hit the scene for 10 days.

I held on for the longest time, Eddy. I started losing my hair around 22/23 years old. Then I got fat. I held on for the longest time. And from the years of 27/28, I looked completely ridiculous. I strated going real short in 2003 (age 29/30). Then, in November of 2004 (age 31), I started buzzing it at a "0" and had the "peach fuzz" look going on.

In July 2006, my clippers broke in the middle of the night. (You know I hit the scene at 3 AM). I was meeting up with bunyon on Roosevelt. We were trying to hook up with the "rocker chick" and her extremely hot friend. Anyway, I was in a panic because I hadn't buzzed my head in 3 days and the growth looked strange. What was I going to do at 3 AM? So I took my Gillette and shaved my head bald.

And I've been doing it ever since.

Eddy, going completely bald won't work. It is too much of a shock. Start buzzing it short, get used to it. Start off slow; use a "3" on the clippers. Get a crewcut and tell people you wanted to see the change. I will bet that you will be told that:

• you look younger
  • you look thinner
  • you look great

Bald is beautiful, Eddy. And one thing that you'll get with going real, real short or completely shaving it off? It opens up a whole new opportunity of women that are into bald guys. No joke. I have gotten more sex and more women from 2003-present than I did when I was younger in the years 1999-2003.

Start off slowly. There are stages to it, Eddy.

Hair transplants look ridiculous.

Gavy

billyS

Reign of Terror
Eddie, I agree with Gavycrav. My story is once I hit about 35 my top scalp was thinning out. My barber was letting the front (which was still thick ) grow long and giving me a comb back. I never really noticed, although I knew I had a bald spot in the back. But I never realized how stupid the comb back looked until I was re-doing one of the bathrooms in our house and as I was walking around the vanity section I saw some side views of myself. I was like, shit, this looks like Jeff Van Gundy. So that summer I asked for a buzz which he tried to talk me out of. People (friends, family, co-workers were shocked at first (I went right to a 1), but I liked it. The hair on my sides goes up to the top so I don't have the classic horseshoe bald look plus I still have some on top, but basiclly I'm bald. In the summer I go to a zero, In the winter a 1.
I think if you keep it clean looking it looks much better.

I think toupee's look ridiculous and transplants unless done right look really bad. I can always spot a guy with 'plugs'.
Plus with plugs you have to remember that you will keep loosing your hair so you will need to keep re-doing it. Be prepared to spend around $30,000.
The guys who look the worse bald are the ones who let their remaining hair grow long and shaggy. This only accents their baldness.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
But I never realized how stupid the comb back looked until I was re-doing one of the bathrooms in our house and as I was walking around the vanity section I saw some side views of myself.
I had a moment like that as well. Not only was I fat, but I was bald. I was in the bathroom of a client's house and they had mirrors on both walls. Yikes!

I went in stages; Billy went rigth for the gusto. I think in your case, stages will work better for you. Being self conscious myself, I know how hard it will be to make that decision.

Gavy

Actually I like to hear from out female members on how they feel about rugs, plugs and buzz (cuts).
I'm repulsed by fake hair of any kind - plugs, rugs, extensions, weaves, tracks, wigs, etc. Going bald seems terrible, but there's nothing you can do about it and it's not your fault - and we women know that. So yeah, just embrace it and move on. The further the lengths you go to try to cover it up or counteract the problem the more pathetic and insecure you look, and trust me - those transplants always look like shit and are completely obvious. I agree with Gavy and Billy, just start clipping it close so that you don't look like a french poodle or something.

You see, Eddy, you are tall enough that you can start out by buzzing your hair. Go to the barbershop and tell your guy to start off slow. Tell him to use a "3" on the clipper. Try it out. What's the worst that is going to happen, you don't hit the scene for 10 days.

I held on for the longest time, Eddy. I started losing my hair around 22/23 years old. Then I got fat. I held on for the longest time. And from the years of 27/28, I looked completely ridiculous. I strated going real short in 2003 (age 29/30). Then, in November of 2004 (age 31), I started buzzing it at a "0" and had the "peach fuzz" look going on.

In July 2006, my clippers broke in the middle of the night. (You know I hit the scene at 3 AM). I was meeting up with bunyon on Roosevelt. We were trying to hook up with the "rocker chick" and her extremely hot friend. Anyway, I was in a panic because I hadn't buzzed my head in 3 days and the growth looked strange. What was I going to do at 3 AM? So I took my Gillette and shaved my head bald.

Eddy, going completely bald won't work. It is too much of a shock. Start buzzing it short, get used to it. Start off slow; use a "3" on the clippers. Get a crewcut and tell people you wanted to see the change. I will bet that you will be told that:

• you look younger
  • you look thinner
  • you look great

Bald is beautiful, Eddy. And one thing that you'll get with going real, real short or completely shaving it off? It opens up a whole new opportunity of women that are into bald guys. No joke. I have gotten more sex and more women from 2003-present than I did when I was younger in the years 1999-2003.

Gavy
Gavy - I tryed short hair cuts, I do not look good. I have a big nose and big ears. I need the hair.

• you look younger
  • you look thinner
  • you look great

Gavy
Gavy - It is also scary to shave it off.

Last edited:
I think toupee's look ridiculous and transplants unless done right look really bad. I can always spot a guy with 'plugs'.

Plus with plugs you have to remember that you will keep loosing your hair so you will need to keep re-doing it. Be prepared to spend around $30,000.
The guys who look the worse bald are the ones who let their remaining hair grow long and shaggy. This only accents their baldness.
The problem with a toupee is you need 8 of them. One for each day, then you bring them in at the end of the week for treatment, and you start over agian.

Also, even with the best toupee, what happens when a girl runs her hand through your hair?

They do not use plugs anymore for transplants, the process is different, and harder to detect

Have you thought about rogaine or other medication?
I never tryed rogaine, I do not think it would work on my problem. I asked my doc about propecia. He said it works, but one of the side effects is that it could mask problems with the prostrate. He did not think it was a good idea.

I'm repulsed by fake hair of any kind - plugs, rugs, extensions, weaves, tracks, wigs, etc. Going bald seems terrible, but there's nothing you can do about it and it's not your fault - and we women know that. So yeah, just embrace it and move on. The further the lengths you go to try to cover it up or counteract the problem the more pathetic and insecure you look, and trust me - those transplants always look like shit and are completely obvious. I agree with Gavy and Billy, just start clipping it close so that you don't look like a french poodle or something.
Masq - I have to wonder, if done corectly, maybe you cannot notice them.

billyS

Reign of Terror
They do not use plugs anymore for transplants, the process is different, and harder to detect
Thats what they want yo to believe. Again, if you do it now and you are just starting to go bald, what happens in a few years and you loose more hair? Now you need more transplants.

billyS

Reign of Terror
The further the lengths you go to try to cover it up or counteract the problem the more pathetic and insecure you look
I agree and it also seems to hi-light the fact that your going bald. For me the worse was when I first started thinning out. I wore my hair the same way as when I had thick long hair. Woman would always notice it. Now I just wear a buzz cut and they notice my facial features or other positive things about my appearence. I can also pass for ten years younger then my real age.
Honestly, I get more Non-PFP play trim* now, then with the comb back.

*More complicated then just the buzz cut, but the fact that I'm bald on top does not hinder me since I don't even think about it anymore.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Honestly, I get more Non-PFP play trim* now, then with the comb back.
Two of us saying the same thing, Eddy. And listen,we aren't prize catches by any stretch of the imagination; going bald "ADDED" to our game.

Gavy

Last edited: