German suggestion?

Back in the 70's the was a chain of German restaurants called zum zum. They were almost as common as McDonald's. They were clean, modern, cheap and the food while simple, was very good.
There used to be one in the Pan Am building in Manhattan as late at the 1980s (when it was still called the Pan Am building).

All the Bens blow compared to the original "Bens Best" on Queens Blvd in Rego Park which btw originated in the Bronx in the 40's before moving to Queens in the 50's and has nothing to do with the chain whose claim to fame is living off the originals name. Matter of fact the new one they recently opened in Boca Raton patterned their layout after the orignal and has the exact same hot dog grill located in the front window behind the deli counter just as the Bens in Queens has for the last 50 or so years. If you want a real Bens pastrami on rye you need to visit the one on 63rd drive and Queens Blvd.

The original "original" was on Southern Blvd near the Bruckner Exp (Hunts Point) and moved to Rego Park in the early-mid 50's.

And lets not forget the late great Pastrami King which was a mile or so down Queens Blvd in Kew Gardens across from the court house. I know many ADA's who shed a tear when that closed about a dozen years ago and now are forced to eat lunch at the Burger King which sits at that location now.

The original "original" was on Southern Blvd near the Bruckner Exp (Hunts Point) and moved to Rego Park in the early-mid 50's.

And lets not forget the late great Pastrami King which was a mile or so down Queens Blvd in Kew Gardens across from the court house. I know many ADA's who shed a tear when that closed about a dozen years ago and now are forced to eat lunch at the Burger King which sits at that location now.
Pastrami King is now on Merrick Road in Merrick. Good but not the same.
I ate patrami in Ben's in Bayside recently. Just OK, not as good as Patrami King.
Katz's deli on the Lower East Side? Expensive, nothing to write home about. You've gotta like the ambiance, though. Abuse in the basement?

Ozzy do you remember the pool hall down the stairs to the subway right next door to Ben's?
Shot many a pool games down there. For a while the strip club next door leased it and put some bedrooms down there so when LE busted the upstairs joint they didn't find everyone fucking in the normal VIP rooms.

Pastrami King is now on Merrick Road in Merrick. Good but not the same.
I ate patrami in Ben's in Bayside recently. Just OK, not as good as Patrami King.
Katz's deli on the Lower East Side? Expensive, nothing to write home about. You've gotta like the ambiance, though. Abuse in the basement?

Katz is still king of them all. As for expensive.... last I was there it was about $11.95 for a pastrami on rye which is a far cry from the $25 Carnegie charges. And while you might get a lb of meat on a Carnegie the quality of Katz blows them away. And Carnegie will not hand slice like Katz.

All the Bens blow compared to the original "Bens Best" on Queens Blvd in Rego Park which btw originated in the Bronx in the 40's before moving to Queens in the 50's and has nothing to do with the chain whose claim to fame is living off the originals name. Matter of fact the new one they recently opened in Boca Raton patterned their layout after the orignal and has the exact same hot dog grill located in the front window behind the deli counter just as the Bens in Queens has for the last 50 or so years. If you want a real Bens pastrami on rye you need to visit the one on 63rd drive and Queens Blvd.
Of course nothing can compare to to the quality of pizza sold at Ray's Famous Original Pizza that opened at ... err ... let me think .... oh yeah ... EVERY WHERE!!

Katz is still king of them all. As for expensive.... last I was there it was about $11.95 for a pastrami on rye which is a far cry from the $25 Carnegie charges. And while you might get a lb of meat on a Carnegie the quality of Katz blows them away. And Carnegie will not hand slice like Katz.
Those were the days...$15 now (this fall).
Funny the way this stuff works...we took table service, the waiter added the tab in his head...I could see he was off in his addition, then at the end he slices off 15% or so in hopes that you'll give him a good tip. As I said, ambiance.
I haven't been moved by pastrami since the King was on Queens Blvd. I've eaten from Merrick...good but hardly transcendent.
The best I've had in recent years was actually from King David in Cedarhurst. Very good take out, then I had one in the restaurant, just ok.
I guess we've strayed from German?

billyS

Reign of Terror
I guess we've strayed from German?
Sorry, I guess that was my fault with my aside to Elmo.

BTW elmo... a little off topic but.....they closed the Bens in Baldwin Harbor, not sure why. I was in the one in Woodbury last week and the Pastrami is just as good.
That started us on the pastrami talk.
Pastrami actually has its own thread so lets go back to German (or as Ozzy in his wonderful Archie Bunker like speak put it..kraut chow LOL).

Chalet Alpina, old school kraut chow
....Ozzy, I'm not offended or trying to show disgust by this or when you use the term WOP. It actually amuses me that a man your age (I'm assuming 40's?) would use the terms that people from the WW II era would use. I think you took it wrong when I questioned your use of the term WOP a while ago.

With the PC and pussification of America today everyone is a racist or a bigot. It's unfortunate that perhaps the single greatest and influential TV sitcom in history would never see the light of day beyond the network censors if someone presented an All in the Family script to CBS today. I'm not PC nor racist and kraut, Jap, heb, wop etc are not the same as the term nigger. And the fact that there's no resolution or attempts to ban those words proves it. Unless whether or not a word or symbol is offensive or banned depends more on how powerful your lobby is, cause I know there's been attempts at both state and federal levels to ban the use of the N-word and the flying of the rebel flag but not the use of the word fag or the banning of the swastika. Should offense be taken when you incorrectly use the word Jews in political discussions when you should be referring to the citizens of that strip of sand as Israeli's.

Btw... if you've never been to Chalet Alpina, they have several items on their menu listed as "krauts" as a side dish instead of the typical coleslaw. Personally I recommend the spiced kraut... tastes a bit like kimchi. And did you know according to Wikipedia the word Hun is considered an offensive term. Does that mean I need to refer to Attila the Hun as Attila the H-word?

With the PC and pussification of America today everyone is a racist or a bigot. It's unfortunate that perhaps the single greatest and influential TV sitcom in history would never see the light of day beyond the network censors if someone presented an All in the Family script to CBS today. I'm not PC nor racist and kraut, Jap, heb, wop etc are not the same as the term nigger. And the fact that there's no resolution or attempts to ban those words proves it. Unless whether or not a word or symbol is offensive or banned depends more on how powerful your lobby is, cause I know there's been attempts at both state and federal levels to ban the use of the N-word and the flying of the rebel flag but not the use of the word fag or the banning of the swastika. Should offense be taken when you incorrectly use the word Jews in political discussions when you should be referring to the citizens of that strip of sand as Israeli's.

Btw... if you've never been to Chalet Alpina, they have several items on their menu listed as "krauts" as a side dish instead of the typical coleslaw. Personally I recommend the spiced kraut... tastes a bit like kimchi. And did you know according to Wikipedia the word Hun is considered an offensive term. Does that mean I need to refer to Attila the Hun as Attila the H-word?
Don't be a meat head! Edith, stifle yourself!

It’s my fault, but pastrami makes me emotional and let me explain why.

My father would take me to Katz’s on Saturdays (not every Saturday, but often enough). We would get the ticket that they always used from the machine. We would go up to the counter (we never sat in the waiters section). My father would order two pastramis on club. Before the meat cutter even began cutting our pastrami, my father would snarl at the cutter “don’t give me the crappy meat you guys always give me!”. Of course he would never tip the cutters. This would usually result in a loud angry shouting match between my father and the cutter. On more then one occasion, the police were called. On one occasion, we were thrown out of Katz’s and told to never come back.

I had to wait many, many years, long after my father passed. I was now a grown man, and I was sure that no one in Katz would remember me. I took my ticker, went to the counter and politely ordered my pastrami on club and a Budweiser (no Dr. Brown black cherry for me).

The pastrami was good, but some how the emotional scars remain to this day.

Who orders pastrami on a club and who drinks Browns black cherry... if it's gonna be Browns it's gotta be Cel-Ray aka Jewish champagne.... or is that offensive too.

Last edited:
Think about that one for a while! Lets see what come up with next, chuckle head.

Find a photo of Chuckles (the clown or the gum).

Last edited: