German suggestion?

It's been a while since I had a good plate of spatzle, schnitzels & large Warsteiner bier. I've been to Zum Stammisch & 5 Corners in Queens & Rolf's in Grammercy Park. My eating like my hobbying requires me to try new places, so I would appreciate any suggestions from my fellow hobbyists and the lovely ladies in here as well.

Danke Shoen!

~Pudgy

I've been to Plattdeutsch Park in Elmont.
I went for dinner and it was very good even though the ambiance is a little "finished basement" looking.
They have a buffet I think on Thursday...it's tempting since they require reservations, but avoid it like the plague! Awful shit dried meat scanty portions ( plenty of sausage but only a couple of interesting varieties in the plate and the rest all the same type of ordinary weiner, infrequent replenishment, no choice for desert).

I used to go to Gebhardts in Floral Park, for $12 at the early bird they'd serve a succulent pork chop which was most of a pig it was so huge. Unfortunately they've been replaced by a yuppie restaurant. I think they have a branch in Ridgewood, never got to it.

WAS called Germantown.
There's still a vestige. There are even eastern European markets remaining from the old days.
Ther were dozens of breweries before "Microbrewery" became the standard.

Ive been to Zum Stam mentioned above many times. Standard fair and reliable. Last time though around 1030 at the end of meal, a few white mice scurried across the floor. and the waitstaff noticed that we saw them. I didnt mind but, needless to say they were very nice about it and drinks were on the house.
Id still go back though.

There was a very tiny and casual place between 9th and 10th or 10th and 11th around 50th or 51st (OK - right across the street from an old Julie's location). I stopped in a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed. I can't remember the name and have no other reason to be in that neighborhood anymore. Anyone know of it? Still there? I would go back if it is still there (please don't bother saying that Julie's is not at that location anymore - I know that).

billyS

Reign of Terror
I've been to Plattdeutsch Park in Elmont.
One of my best friends lost his virginity there. As teens, another friend worked there as a bus boy. We went to meet up with him after work one night and there were some 20-something straggles, really drunk.
While waiting for the bus boy friend, this other guy hit on the drunk girl and wound up taking her out back where he banged her. Her boyfriend went looking for her (he was a tweeb) and caught them in the act. We heard the commotion and went out there and had to give the guy a beating.
I used to go to Gebhardts in Floral Park, ....... Unfortunately they've been replaced by a yuppie restaurant.
Where was this? Tulip or Jericho?

Two of the best German restaurants around. Kinda hard to find better. There used to be a tiny hole-in-the-wall place in the city on 86th off of 2nd called The Ideal Restaurant. Great German food but long gone....that area is called German Town.
I remember that place well. It looked like a luncheonette. There were stools at the counter, and a small section on the mezzanine level with tables and waitress service. The place was not fancy, nor was the food. The menu was not very large, but they served all the basic German fare, their home fries were especially good and the portions were huge and delicious and the prices were very low. This was not a tourist trap, they mainly catered to locals, particularly elderly Germans who lived in that area for like fifty years. The owner took over from his father, who took over from his father. The place opened in 1932, the original owner signed a very long term lease that ran out in the mid 1980's. The landlord increased the rent by about 12 times, and that was the end of the Ideal Restaurant.

The Heidelberg Restaurant, a very expensive, dark, wood paneled typical high end German restaurant is on the next block is still around. They have a very extensive menu, and the food is very good.

When I used to live in Queens we use to go to Zum Stammisch and another place in College Point (now closed) all the time. I was never fond of the Plattdeutsch or Gebhardts. I recommend Koenings in Floral Park (just off of Tulip). There sit down dinners are much better than there catering.

Chalet Alpina, old school kraut chow on Metropolitan Ave around 70th rd in Forest Hills. Better than Zum Stam which hasn't been up to standards in a dozen years. Take Cooper Ave from Zums to Metropolitan make a right, cross Woodhaven and go about half dozen blocks, it'll be on your left side next to the public library.

I believe the same restaurant group runs Wallsé, Cafe Sabarsky and Blaue Gans. None of them are great, but they're all not bad. You can certainly satisfy your spätzle and German beer craving at any of them (Wallsé is much more upscale than the other two).

There are also down and dirty places, like Hallo Berlin (44th & 10th) and Loreley (Rivington and Bowery, LES).

Yes, but the food at Wallse and Cafe Sabarsky is Austrian, whereas the food at Blaue Gans is at least half German.

Rolf Bobiel, the propietor of Hallo Berlin, died two months ago. (The place still operates.)

Last edited:
Back in the 70's the was a chain of German restaurants called zum zum. They were almost as common as McDonald's. They were clean, modern, cheap and the food while simple, was very good.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Back in the 70's the was a chain of German restaurants called zum zum.
There was one in Roosevelt Field in the Petite mall. When they added the second level they needed more parking so they demolished the Petite mall.

BTW elmo... a little off topic but.....they closed the Bens in Baldwin Harbor, not sure why. I was in the one in Woodbury last week and the Pastrami is just as good.

Last edited:
There was one in Roosevelt Field in the Petite mall. When they added the second level they needed more parking so they demolished the Petite mall.

BTW elmo... a little off topic but.....they closed the Bens in Baldwin Harbor, not sure why. I was in the one in Woodbury last week and the Pastrami is just as good.
the Bens in Baldwin Harbor never did much business, the place was always mostly empty, the service was always bad. The bad economy was the final straw I guess.