Football

In the fourth quarter of the 1990 NFC Championship Game, Montana was hit so hard by New York Giants defensive end Leonard Marshall he suffered a bruised sternum, bruised stomach, cracked ribs and a broken hand. Montana missed all of the 1991 season and most of the 1992 season, never starting another game for the 49ers.
And, the next two seasons, Joe was welcomed with open arms to Chiefs Nation. The Big Red Kahuna Coach under the tent of Arrowhead at that time was Marty Shottenheimer.

Joe Montana took his Chiefs to the playoffs both years. He also faced his old team, the 49ers in both years. He beat the Niners in ‘93, (a sweet revenge victory, after SF dumped the aging legend to make room for the rising talents of Young and Bono) but lost in ‘94.

Young and the Niners won the SB in ‘94, with that unforgettable scene of Young asking his teammates to engage in that playful skit of take the figurative monkey off of his back, free from the shadow of the memory of Joe Montana.

I don’t know what was worse
First half
Commercials
Halftime show

Although 49 defense superb
But, the way the Niners started that game was vicious and scary. It looked like a massacre in the making. The only question being, how many points would KC lose by?

Credit to KC for having the wherewithal to ride out the storm and stay competitive until adjustments were made.

And, the last drive for the win was pure poetry in motion, backed by a symphony. Classic Mahomes’ brains, bravado, brawn and swagger.

That chubby lumberjack is surely fleet of foot. So deceptive and cunning. Exhibiting strategic timing in his bursts, leaving the Niners helpless and flabbergasted. So essential when the Niners were stuffing the Chiefs’ RB’s and their run game.

But, as a Chief’s fan, not an easy game to watch. For a Niner’s fan, not an easy game to live with.

And, amazingly, I thought that the refs got out of the way, and let the boys play. Not much controversy from what I could see.

And, the next two seasons, Joe was welcomed with open arms to Chiefs Nation. The Big Red Kahuna Coach under the tent of Arrowhead at that time was Marty Shottenheimer.

Joe Montana took his Chiefs to the playoffs both years. He also faced his old team, the 49ers in both years. He beat the Niners in ‘93, (a sweet revenge victory, after SF dumped the aging legend to make room for the rising talents of Young and Bono) but lost in ‘94.

Young and the Niners won the SB in ‘94, with that unforgettable scene of Young asking his teammates to engage in that playful skit of take the figurative monkey off of his back, free from the shadow of the memory of Joe Montana.
Not sure I would call Bono a rising talent. He 9 years in on his career and the 49ers were his third team in 4 years. He actually ended up being Montana's back up in KC in 94.

But, the way the Niners started that game was vicious and scary. It looked like a massacre in the making. The only question being, how many points would KC lose by?

Credit to KC for having the wherewithal to ride out the storm and stay competitive until adjustments were made.

And, the last drive for the win was pure poetry in motion, backed by a symphony. Classic Mahomes’ brains, bravado, brawn and swagger.

That chubby lumberjack is surely fleet of foot. So deceptive and cunning. Exhibiting strategic timing in his bursts, leaving the Niners helpless and flabbergasted. So essential when the Niners were stuffing the Chiefs’ RB’s and their run game.

But, as a Chief’s fan, not an easy game to watch. For a Niner’s fan, not an easy game to live with.

And, amazingly, I thought that the refs got out of the way, and let the boys play. Not much controversy from what I could see.
agreed.. the 1st half, led me to believe a KC rout…
Speaking to a few football colleagues this morning, they reminded me that Mahomes has/will have the potential to be labeled as one of the all time greats ..
He certainly stepped up his game in the 2nd half…
Great ending and all in all a great game

Another thought- Kelce’s viva Las Vegas rant after the game and his locker room antics remind me why I have such a distaste for some professional sports and athletes..
Otoh, maybe I’m just gettin old and have become a crusty old man

agreed.. the 1st half, led me to believe a KC rout…
Speaking to a few football colleagues this morning, they reminded me that Mahomes has/will have the potential to be labeled as one of the all time greats ..
He certainly stepped up his game in the 2nd half…
Great ending and all in all a great game

Another thought- Kelce’s viva Las Vegas rant after the game and his locker room antics remind me why I have such a distaste for some professional sports and athletes..
Otoh, maybe I’m just gettin old and have become a crusty old man
Got to cut Kelce some slack. He is a powerful leader in that locker room. He and Mahomes are like blood brothers. Unbelievable pressure on Kelce.

Kelce’s emotions erupt like a volcano. And, that energy makes him great on the field. Can’t shut that off like a light switch. He just won the Super Bowl in O/T after being down for most of the game, and, most of the year.

He was yelling at “The Big Kahuna Coach Reid” on the sidelines, “and almost knocked the old man over. And, Andy didn’t care. He’ll take that kind of crazy spitfire spirit because it takes some powerful animalistic tendencies to compete on that level.

They just knocked out a better favored team, while KC was running on fumes. And, most of all, while belting out his Elvis impersonation, the guy looked like he was soaking up copious amounts of alcohol, on his way to becoming stinking drunk.

Why not? The season is over. It’s done and they won. And, his favorite slogan, “YOU’VE GOT TO FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT TO PARTY!!!”

He acts like a football player. What goes on in practice, in training, on the field, in the locker room would be considered to be absolute insanity to normal people. (many of you who have played, know this)

.....He acts like a football player. What goes on in practice, in training, on the field, in the locker room would be considered to be absolute insanity to normal people. (many of you who have played, know this)
I was on Varsity football in HS. At least there and then ( 1960's) it was not "absolute insanity". Maybe in pro ball a player could push the coach. IMHO, It wouldn't happen to me if I was a coach (or any pro coach) more then 1 time with a player.

I was on Varsity football in HS. At least there and then ( 1960's) it was not "absolute insanity". Maybe in pro ball a player could push the coach. IMHO, It wouldn't happen to me if I was a coach (or any pro coach) more then 1 time with a player.
Andy Reid was never known to be a disciplinarian. He has dealt with plenty of over the top players and has never really came down on them for anything as long as they produced on the field. The fact that Kadarius Toney, who might be the most ignorant person I have ever heard speak (aside from politicians), wasn’t immediately cut a few weeks ago is proof of that. He also allowed T.O. to destroy the Eagles before finally suspending him. Buddy Ryan would have slapped the piss out of Kelce.

It pisses me off that Kelce is a “media darling” because of his flat assed girlfriend. Almost any other player would be raked over the coals for that shit.

Andy Reid was never known to be a disciplinarian. He has dealt with plenty of over the top players and has never really came down on them for anything as long as they produced on the field. The fact that Kadarius Toney, who might be the most ignorant person I have ever heard speak (aside from politicians), wasn’t immediately cut a few weeks ago is proof of that. He also allowed T.O. to destroy the Eagles before finally suspending him. Buddy Ryan would have slapped the piss out of Kelce.

It pisses me off that Kelce is a “media darling” because of his flat assed girlfriend. Almost any other player would be raked over the coals for that shit.
He wasn't raked over the coals because he's a media darling. He wasn't raked over the coals because his team won. Had the Chiefs lost, it would been a much bigger story. Winning papers over a lot of abhorrent behavior.

Don’t you think the SF coach Kyle Shanahan would have gladly suffered the indignation of being nearly tipped over by his own well-meaning player, if it resulted in a change to spark a Super Bowl win?

Instead of the embarrassment of losing to the same team twice?

The greatness of Andy Reid allows him to set his ego aside for the sake of the whole.

Kelce saw the game and the season slipping away when his far-younger and less-experienced replacement, Noah Gray, missed a key block that caused Pacheco to fumble. Kelce knew for sure that he would never miss that block. He let Reid know rather emphatically to get him, Kelce, back in the game.

“Sir, I respectfully request to be allowed admittance back into the sporting match,” whilst standing erect and astute before his honored commander/coach, in a soft but stern respectful tone, would have been more in accord with the 1960’s era military approach in that forgotten era of football.

But, this is 2024. And, what we saw was not violence, but an overly-enthusiastic man/child’s desire to avert the disaster of a monumental loss. He had to smash into his coach’s awareness at that instance when his coach was so entangled in analytical and tactical schemes, that he was missing the simplicity of a proper block.

Reid, a man with knowledge of human nature and a great strategist, put his ego aside, realized that an intelligent, passionate highly capable player saw something that the HOF-bound coach missed and allowed himself and the team to be contributed to for the sake of the team, the franchise, during this rare legacy run. That’s called teamwork. It may appear as disrespectful. But, Andy, sees it in a very holistic way.

For a guy like Andy Reid, an overly-emotional Yeti like Kelce demanding “put me in coach” and pushing Andy, is trivial and petty to a man of Reid’s withering “ego.”

He has been humbled by football and life, losing a son to drugs, and another doing time in a Missouri prison for DWI, severely injuring a child.

He knows that his dedication to football has prioritized his time and impaired at least some of his attention to family. A shove by Kelce is meaningless to him in light of the man Reid has become.

Kelce was not really reprimanded for his crudeness, although probably warned to not try it again and set a precedence in the league. Although, players have inflicted far worse physicality on coaches than this.

I don’t get why everyone is hating on the Chiefs .
They have a likable coach that is probably underrated and a great Quarterback. Even if you’re not a fan of this team like me. It’s still special and fun to watch.

It’s not like the smug New England teams we’ve been watching for the past 20 years.

They beat some pretty good teams this run. The Ravens were stacked and were embarrassed by a team with less talent
Same with San Francisco.

Kelice got into the heads of the Ravens defense and fucked with them the whole game.
Even with all of the off field stuff with his girl and media, he was one of the best players on the field that day.

I guess Hater’s are gonna hate.:)

Sorry @mugi I take issue with your thinking about Andy Reid being assaulted by a player on TV viewed by 120 million people.

The coach is responsible for which players are on the field and not a player.
" He is the only NFL coach to win 100 games and appear in four consecutive conference championships with two different franchises.
Hired as the head coach of the Chiefs in 2013, Reid helped revitalize the struggling franchise into one of the league's best. In 11 seasons with Kansas City, he has led the Chiefs to 10 postseason appearances, eight consecutive division titles, six consecutive AFC Championship Games, four Super Bowl appearances, and three Super Bowl titles. Reid also won the Chiefs' first playoff game since 1993 in the 2015 season, clinched their first consecutive division titles between 2016 and 2017, and won their first Super Bowl in 50 years in Super Bowl LIV. " (Wikipedia)

Yes, Reid has an impressive record but he doesn't get to call the shots. Perhaps he can be traded to another team where they allow the players to do that.

note that "During a Christmas Day game against the Las Vegas Raiders, Kelce spiked his helmet on the sideline, and Reid grabbed the helmet and refused to give it back.

Yes Coach Reid handled it (this time) "'You know, I was a little off balance..." .

I guess Hater’s are gonna hate.:)
I believe that if it weren’t for the Chiefs, the Bills would have at least one Super Bowl win. Specifically the :13 seconds year. That is when I be came a Chiefs hater. I wouldn’t care if Dalton Kincaid stabbed McDermott on the sideline to get back in the game, if it led to a SB win.

So you are correct, I am just a hater

I believe that if it weren’t for the Chiefs, the Bills would have at least one Super Bowl win. Specifically the :13 seconds year. That is when I be came a Chiefs hater. I wouldn’t care if Dalton Kincaid stabbed McDermott on the sideline to get back in the game, if it led to a SB win.

I’ll focus my hatred towards the red Sox and cowboys. :)

I think if it weren't for the NFC east, the bills would have won a couple Super Bowls. But that was 30 years ago.

If your aunt had balls she would be your uncle.

Sorry @mugi I take issue with your thinking about Andy Reid being assaulted by a player on TV viewed by 120 million people.

The coach is responsible for which players are on the field and not a player.
" He is the only NFL coach to win 100 games and appear in four consecutive conference championships with two different franchises.
Hired as the head coach of the Chiefs in 2013, Reid helped revitalize the struggling franchise into one of the league's best. In 11 seasons with Kansas City, he has led the Chiefs to 10 postseason appearances, eight consecutive division titles, six consecutive AFC Championship Games, four Super Bowl appearances, and three Super Bowl titles. Reid also won the Chiefs' first playoff game since 1993 in the 2015 season, clinched their first consecutive division titles between 2016 and 2017, and won their first Super Bowl in 50 years in Super Bowl LIV. " (Wikipedia)

Yes, Reid has an impressive record but he doesn't get to call the shots. Perhaps he can be traded to another team where they allow the players to do that.

note that "During a Christmas Day game against the Las Vegas Raiders, Kelce spiked his helmet on the sideline, and Reid grabbed the helmet and refused to give it back.

Yes Coach Reid handled it (this time) "'You know, I was a little off balance..." .
Unbelievably, people will choose a word or label to best fit their agenda and sentiments.

In this instance, the word some chose to use to describe the incident between Coach Reid and Travis Kelce is “assault.”

The word “assault” has massive egregious, nefarious, criminal connotations and implications.

Yet, the very man, Coach Andy Reid, the man involved in the incident calls it a “bump.” Yet, the media labeled it “assault” to ensure plenty of mileage for those that revere and embrace negativity and drama.

If this were a true “assault,” the game should have been abruptly canceled and the sideline where the incident occurred, treated as a crime scene, and cordoned off with yellow tape.

You can go to jail for “assaulting” someone. Not for bumping someone to get their attention in the biggest commercial sporting event on the planet with, like you alluded to 120 million people watching, the game in jeopardy of being lost, the losing of which deeply affects Coach Reid’s legacy and many others.

So, he startled him with a bump or a push. Definitely not an “assault.

Much like if any of us felt the bus we had boarded, a fast moving Greyhound bus, (“Go Greyhound and leave the driving to us”) headed due south, and it begins to swerve and sway dangerously, and we notice that the bus driver is “highway weary,” nodding off, falling asleep. Dammit, which one of us would not yell at him, lose our composure momentarily, and somehow jar him, push him, bump him, to wake him up to the impending danger that affects him and the bus load of people and their families? That is not called an “assault.”

If the man (Coach Reid) who was bumped into, calls it a “bump,” he is describing his experience of the physical contact. Baffles me how non-experiencers of the event have the audacity to reinterpret the event to support their beliefs, feelings, agendas and needs. Those watching on their screens are merely onlookers with not an inkling of the dynamics between the coaches and players.

THIS IS FOOTBALL!!!

My “football buddies” are unlike any other of my friends. After 50 years, we curse and ride and push and talk straight to each other, hiding nothing, not holding our cards close to our chest, transparent, loose, real. Outside of that camaraderie, that “football” demeanor with regular folks would be considered crude and vile.

I think that the use of the word “assault” with respect to the incident between this coach and this player is disingenuous.

The dictionary definition for “assault” is “Assault:
A violent physical or verbal attack; a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person, as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner, that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension.”

Another AI source indicates that “assault” typically implies the intention to hurt or harm someone. It involves a deliberate act of violence or aggression towards another person, whether physically or verbally. So, in most cases, when someone is accused of assault, it suggests that they had harmful intentions towards the victim.”

I think we can agree that Kelce in no way meant to “assault” and injure his beloved coach, Andy Reid.

I am not condoning what occurred as acceptable behavior, but it has occurred in the past without backlash with other players and coaches.

One such incident happened during a game between the Seattle Seahawks and the New England Patriots in 2015. In an intense situation on the sidelines, Seahawks cornerback, Richard Sherman, known for his passionate and emotional style of play, was seen grabbing the arm of his defensive coordinator, Kris Richard, during an intense moment trying to make his point in an urgent game situation. There was physicality and it was confrontational. It wasn’t blown out of proportion, and later explained as Sherman’s desire to emphatically communicate and provide input into the game.

Another incident that was heated between player and coach occurred between the New England Patriots and the Buffalo Bills in 2017. On the sidelines, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was seen out of control, yelling at his offensive coordinator, Josh McDaniels to “let me go, come on, wake up!”

This genre of men have a camaraderie that is tougher, more rambunctious and visceral within their team dynamics, playing an extremely violent sport. There is a massive amount of “tough love” involved.

The way I see it, the dynamics between coaches and players vary greatly, and vary greatly from era to era. A player could never act as Travis Kelce did with coaches like: Vince Lombardi, Bill Parcells, Tom Landry, Bill Belichick and most others. But, I can see it more acceptable with coaches like: John Madden, Dick Vermeil (KC Chiefs’ coach), Mike Vrabel, Doug Pederson, Bruce Arians (no risk it; no biscuit) and others whose egos aren’t built merely on desiring authoritative respect, but a desire to win in close camaraderie with his family of players.

Andy Reid runs his team in his own unique style, a close-knit bond between player and coach. It should also be noted that a franchise with its logo creates a unique brand. And KC coaches like Hank Stram had a similar rapport with his players, not as great a gap between coach and player as with other organization. In the early days, the Kansas City Chiefs were often referred to as the Wild West of the American Football Conference (AFC) reminiscent of the Wild West era in American history.