Flushing, Bayside and Jackson Heights

I think some burning tenants out so they can sell the space to developers. Look at the one from March, it just sit there no real construction going on. I think someone looking to buy out the space but doesn’t want any tenants before buying . That’s my 2 cent on all these fires

billyS

Reign of Terror
I think some burning tenants out so they can sell the space to developers. Look at the one from March, it just sit there no real construction going on. I think someone looking to buy out the space but doesn’t want any tenants before buying . That’s my 2 cent on all these fires
That's some sick Chinatown shit.

Look at the one from March, it just sit there no real construction going on. I think someone looking to buy out the space but doesn’t want any tenants before buying .
I think a lot of the fires are just because the buildings are pretty run down to begin with and they do a shitty job to maintaining the building to begin with. Also, a lot of times, the tenants will cut corners. A friend of mine was the insurance broker for the business where the fire originated from for the March incident. They told me that they had a barebones policy and there's no way their insurance was sufficient to cover all the damages to their neighbors' businesses. I assume the neighbors didn't have sufficient insurance either. Most of the buildings probably didn't have anything.

Another broker I know said they had a client who owned a home that burned down. They had like $300K in coverage, but the city sent them a letter saying they'd have to demolish what was left or they'd do it for them. Client didn't have enough time to find a demolition contractor and the city hired someone - client got a bill for over $200K for that.

I've got a client that also told me she had a fire nearly 2 years ago - their insurance paid out, but she wants to upgrade the home into an apartment building. She's been dealing with the permit process and the process of getting a construction loan for the past 6 months and she's still not even done yet.

NYC has always been a shit show for people who don't know someone at the Dept of Buildings, between permits and inspections.

I think a lot of the fires are just because the buildings are pretty run down to begin with and they do a shitty job to maintaining the building to begin with. Also, a lot of times, the tenants will cut corners. A friend of mine was the insurance broker for the business where the fire originated from for the March incident. They told me that they had a barebones policy and there's no way their insurance was sufficient to cover all the damages to their neighbors' businesses. I assume the neighbors didn't have sufficient insurance either. Most of the buildings probably didn't have anything.

Another broker I know said they had a client who owned a home that burned down. They had like $300K in coverage, but the city sent them a letter saying they'd have to demolish what was left or they'd do it for them. Client didn't have enough time to find a demolition contractor and the city hired someone - client got a bill for over $200K for that.

I've got a client that also told me she had a fire nearly 2 years ago - their insurance paid out, but she wants to upgrade the home into an apartment building. She's been dealing with the permit process and the process of getting a construction loan for the past 6 months and she's still not even done yet.

NYC has always been a shit show for people who don't know someone at the Dept of Buildings, between permits and inspections.
You hit it it not for the insurance money but to get tenants out and the developers will pay more then market rates to get the land provided that he get all the lots in the area. So if there’s more fires then you know what’s going on.

Maybe.
I remember a story back in the day about a builder who wanted to tear down an old apartment building to build a much larger luxury apartment building. He made a substantial offer to all the tenant s to buy out their leases. The offer was so good that all but one of the tenants immediately accepted the offer and moved out.
The builder had all plan approved by the city, construction equipment and demolition contracts were let. Equipment was outside the building including a crane with a wrecking ball.

The last holdout saw all this and figured how much the builder would lose if the tenant held out until the end of this lease and figured he could hlod out for a majority of those $'s.

Well the builder said no go and ordered all the equipment to be removed. During the removal and when the tenant was out, the crane "accidentally" hit the corner of the building with the wrecking ball, not enought to cause a collapse but hard enough to make it unsafe.
The city ruled the building unsafe for occupancy and the tenant was not allowed back in. The builder had to reimburse the tenant for the cost of finding another apartment, much less that the other tenants got and certainly much, much less than the tenant wanted.
the building was torn down.

Moral: accidents happen including wrecking balls and fires.

That happens to every red light district eventually when it becomes a blight on the neighborhood.

There has been major improvements in Flushing to upgrade it to a near Manhattan quality, which was halted by COVID.

Well, the puritans feel it is not quite sanitized enough and some of the streets like 40th Road remain among the last vestige of The Good Old Flushing.

In my travels, sadly for us mongers, I have seen wonderful flourishing red light monger paradises that were traditional pleasure zones for many decades, dismantled over night by whatever means for gentrification.

How many of you remember Times Square up until the 80’s and in the heyday of the 70’s before Giuliani cut a deal with Disney.

I've found that it is available (easily about half of them) and has nothing to do with how well you tip.The thing is when you find one you like and she is non-rush, you get her # . I hand them my burner and have them call themselves, and then they watch me add their name to my contacts They now have your number, and not just a piece of paper, they know you really want to see them again. I guess it's much nicer for them to have someone call them instead of just standing on the sidewalk soliciting.
I usually drive past this are on my way to work is and I don't see much. Is this in the building with scaffolding?

Maybe.
I remember a story back in the day about a builder who wanted to tear down an old apartment building to build a much larger luxury apartment building. He made a substantial offer to all the tenant s to buy out their leases. The offer was so good that all but one of the tenants immediately accepted the offer and moved out.
The builder had all plan approved by the city, construction equipment and demolition contracts were let. Equipment was outside the building including a crane with a wrecking ball.

The last holdout saw all this and figured how much the builder would lose if the tenant held out until the end of this lease and figured he could hlod out for a majority of those $'s.

Well the builder said no go and ordered all the equipment to be removed. During the removal and when the tenant was out, the crane "accidentally" hit the corner of the building with the wrecking ball, not enought to cause a collapse but hard enough to make it unsafe.
The city ruled the building unsafe for occupancy and the tenant was not allowed back in. The builder had to reimburse the tenant for the cost of finding another apartment, much less that the other tenants got and certainly much, much less than the tenant wanted.
the building was torn down.

Moral: accidents happen including wrecking balls and fires.
That sounds like the place on corner of 34st and 10ave

The big one at restaurant on corner of QB and Grand ave in elm hurst was a doozy

That’s why you use a good expediter

Can’t blame landlords wanted to burn down these building when some of these apartments tenants are paying like $75-$350 a month.[/QUOT
Can’t blame landlords wanted to burn down these building when some of these apartments tenants are paying like $75-$350 a month.
dont believe this myth. Places where the girls work pay rent daily some $100. The pre 1974 places have regulations but the rent control places are built pre 1947 and there’s only 16,000 left.