Double Life: General tips and tricks not covered in other Double Life threads.

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
E-Z pass is a great time saver and unless you are really that worried about an So tracking your every move it is the best time saver when traveling in the tri state area. If your So is watching that close you have bigger problems than just an ez pass bill.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Never, ever, share your real identity with anyone in the hobby.
Something is seriously wrong with me.

For some reason, I have this very strong urge to "facebook friend" this one girl. I don't know why. She doesn't know my real name though I know hers. I just have this crazy desire to do it.

I am not, but I can't for the life of me think why I would want to do such a thing.

If your traveling the toll roads and dont want to be tracked pay cash. It costs more and you spend more time traveling but you dont need to worry about the EZ pass statement.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
I just don't get facebook. I have a myspace profile and a facbook profile which are almost identical. i have over 10,000 views and about 400 friends on myspace, and prettymcuh zero on facebook.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
MySpace is so 2002. :)

I never like MySpace. It always looked clunky and seemed like a poor substitute for having your own web page.

Facebook makes the social networking aspect much easier. People can tag you in a photo and you get notified and that photo becomes a part of your profile, if you want.

I just find it much easier to keep up with everyone on it.

franca

<color=pink>Silver</color>
part of the problem with Facebook is they don't let you view someone's profile unless you're friends with that person.
That is completely up to the individual's preference. Some users set their preferences so anybody can view their profile. Others, so that their networks, friends of friends, or only their friends can view their profile.

Some firewalls can monitor and log all traffic transparently. At my last day job I had the firewall set up to send a syslog message that was logged to a sql database of each and every URL visited using the company internet connection (Dual T1's). Of course the damn log was something like 32 gigs after 6 months.

No proxy was involved. No way to tell from the internet settings on the desktop PC's that we did this.

No technical reason an ISP could not do this as well, but they would have no incentive. Costs money, and they have no legit use for it.

I'll differ with you here. If you access the internet directly thru cable or a T3 and such than there is no record except with the ISP the same as if from home. If your company uses a proxy server than your network admin can keep and have logs of your network and internet use. Always always always remove your cookies and browser history at the end of the session and never ever allow windows to save your passwords. There is clean sweep software that will clean you history and cookies for you it just means you have to memorize all the site addys you use..

For guys and gals who must surf at work what I recommend is either a personal laptop with tunneling software linked via encrypted tunnel to wi-fi or wired internet or a boot-able USB key-drive with tunneling software, a personal browser, and evidence/cleaner eradicator software.
There are of course ways this sort of thing can be defeated.
Firewalls can be set to block tunelling (most types - socks, http proxy, GRE/RAS tunnels. ssh, l2tp, ipsec, etc.)

Higher end firewalls can redirect all HTTP traffic to a login in page first for authentication before passing traffic. Or some can even pull user credentials straight out of IE on that redirect page and authenticate them against the domain (or ldap, or radius...). Unless a good user ID and password are supplied, no traffic passes. So unless you know someone else's ID (whom you don't mind getting nailed for your activities), it still lays a trail back to you. How's it look when a strange MAC address tries to open an encrypted tunnel after giving the firewall your credentials?

I nailed a guy doing exactly that in fact. One of the nails in his coffin when he was let go (that, and running a side business out of his office, using company resources, vehicles and employees on the company clock)

Better way is if you can finagle an analog modem at your desk...Slow, but then they can't trace what you are doing.

This isn't a job-related issue, but I would like to keep my websurfing on the downlow:

I rent a workspace in a building full of artist's studios. The landlord provides free WiFi service. So it isn't an employer and there's no life-or-death reason I have to worry about the landlord knowing what I look at online. But I'm friendly with him & his wife and there's an embarrassment factor involved.

So with Wi-Fi, how much do I have to worry about them knowing exactly what I'm logging into, and can I subscribe to some sort of proxy service that will make this a non-issue?

Thanks for any info.

This isn't a job-related issue, but I would like to keep my websurfing on the downlow:

I rent a workspace in a building full of artist's studios. The landlord provides free WiFi service. So it isn't an employer and there's no life-or-death reason I have to worry about the landlord knowing what I look at online. But I'm friendly with him & his wife and there's an embarrassment factor involved.

So with Wi-Fi, how much do I have to worry about them knowing exactly what I'm logging into, and can I subscribe to some sort of proxy service that will make this a non-issue?

Thanks for any info.
Depends on how they have their wi-fi set up. If server logs are involved than the sites you visit are logged.

A "web tunnel" fixes that. That is software that opens an encrypted pathway through a network in which only the encryption server is logged. Even if a packet sniffer is online nothing you move though that tunnel is going to get detected.

Anonymizing via websites that perform that service will work as well, logging only the anonymizing site.

I actually like the portable "OperaTor" browser which fits easily on a USB key, with enough room to put a full evidence eliminator [I like 'Evidence Eliminator"] to clean up after yourself and some other software to remain safe. Like a personal down and dirty word processor and room for its data files created. Even a small Unix boot-up kernal.

So you can boot from the key, run your stuff, and leave without anyone even knowing you were one the system to begin with.

I have one on my key ring at all times. Its only 8/G but its gold-plated. :)

Link for mobile "OperaTor: http://deviant-art.org/deviant-art-browser-portable-operator.html

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
Tor can be slooooow. And it only does what it does. It should only be seen as one part of a total security strategy.

I stopped using it because it is so heavily associated with a few kinds of traffic that I had no desire to be associated with.

Thanks, gentlemen, for these suggestions.

I haven't been able to get Tor to work on my computer. I'm a hopeless fucktard when it comes to anything involving networks, but I'll keep working at it.

In the meantime, I don't really require a major security lockdown; like I said it's not a workplace, I'm not married, and I'm not looking at anything really beyond the pale. I doubt my landlord really even gives a shit what we look at, I just don't need my clicks on juicytits.com staring him in the face.

So for those limited purposes, can I just use an anonymizing website like www.freetoview.net or www.letmeby.com and will that be enough to keep juicytits.com from showing up on his logs if he even keeps them? Remember this is Wi-Fi, and yes, as I said, I am hopeless about this stuff so please forgive my naivete.

Tor can be slooooow. And it only does what it does. It should only be seen as one part of a total security strategy.

I stopped using it because it is so heavily associated with a few kinds of traffic that I had no desire to be associated with.
????

I didn't know Tor had any associations with particular traffic [does that apply to OperaTor as well?], and even if that is so it only means anything if the logs at the other end are showing the web browser you are using. If one is also using a web tunnel, as I suggested, the browser would be invisible to the logging system's software.

Thanks, gentlemen, for these suggestions.

I haven't been able to get Tor to work on my computer. I'm a hopeless fucktard when it comes to anything involving networks, but I'll keep working at it.
That is why I suggested OperaTor to you. The install puts Opera on your system with the Tor client built in and preconfigured for it. You don't have to do anything. Its perfect for people who don't know how to set up proxy servers, etc.

Last edited: