Double Life: General tips and tricks not covered in other Double Life threads.

Question for a techie:

If I go to Google, search for a website, say, www.utopiaguide.com, and go there, can IT tell where I've gone? (When I do this, I've noticed that Google is the only URL Address that shows on the 'history list'. Also, someone else told me that they weren't able to access AOL at work, but could do so by going through Google.)
Yes, absolutely. Your IT department is able to see everything you do online, and quite possibly everything you do on your PC offline. Not every company does this kind of surveillance but some do!

-nycoder

... but with Internet technology & a few dollars can't you basically find out anything about anybody?
The issue isn't whether information exists, but how easy is it to access.

The problem with all these networks being connected now-days is all this info that use to exist a little bit over here, a little bit over there, are not able to be "mined" and cross collated into a single data picture of an individual.

It is absolutely shocking what one can obtain as far as information if one knows how to look.

It is absolutely shocking what one can obtain as far as information if one knows how to look.
Indeed. If you're in the mood for a scare, check this out:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2162061/aol-user-identified-search

AOL released some anonymous search logs for research purposes and it turned out to be possible to trace individual search histories back to the people responsible!

I use Tor to work-around problems like this, but I'm not deluding myself. If someone was sufficiently motivated they could certainly trace it all back to me. Nothing we do online is completely anonymous.

-nycoder

...Nothing we do online is completely anonymous...
Not only that but consider this:
- EZ pass has sensors all over the place not just toll booths which are used to monitor traffic flow. Your movements are being stored on some server somewhere.
- Security cameras & facial recognition software are watching more places than we realize.
- Cell phone conversations are captured in the name of National Security and dialogs are scanned thru software to catch potential security threats.
- Satellite cameras can read the writing on a pack of cigarettes.

OTOH there is so much data being captured there's too much to look at. However if necessary it's stored for future retrieval.

So, bottom line, if you think no one is watching......think again.

As far as "this thing of ours" my best advice is to keep your fucking mouth shut. Never discuss your hobby with anyone. Not even your asshole buddy. The tiniest hole in the hull of a ship can potentially sink it!

oops!

Not only that but consider this:
- EZ pass has sensors all over the place not just toll booths which are used to monitor traffic flow. Your movements are being stored on some server somewhere.
- Security cameras & facial recognition software are watching more places than we realize.
- Cell phone conversations are captured in the name of National Security and dialogs are scanned thru software to catch potential security threats.
- Satellite cameras can read the writing on a pack of cigarettes.

OTOH there is so much data being captured there's too much to look at. However if necessary it's stored for future retrieval.

So, bottom line, if you think no one is watching......think again.

As far as "this thing of ours" my best advice is to keep your fucking mouth shut. Never discuss your hobby with anyone. Not even your asshole buddy. The tiniest hole in the hull of a ship can potentially sink it!
i wonder how many time they caught me getting head going through the E-Z pass lane!

E-Zpass, schmeezypass

Damn thing nearly cost me big time... the price of a guilty conscience.

I get a letter in the mail, from E-Zpass, notifying me that I was recorded speeding (40 mph) through an E-Zpass toll lane. Stupidly, I showed it to my wife, saying something like "look what they can do with this technology." She takes the letter, turns to me and asks what I was doing on the Throgs Neck Bridge last Saturday. I of course have no answer. This fans the embers of her suspicions big time.

Some time later in the evening, I re-read the letter, and noticed the time of the alleged offense: 5:30 a.m. on this Saturday morning. I point out to my wife that I've been in bed next to her on every morning at 5:30 a.m., but she's not buying it.

Finally, the light bulb goes on, and the truth comes out. My daughter has an E-Zpass tag which naturally is billed to my account. On the Saturday morning in question, she joined some friends on a hiking trip upstate, which required an early departure. But wait, wife says, you didn't drive your own car. Daughter owns up to the fact that she used her (my) E-Zpass to pay for the tolls on this ride.

Meanwhile, my conscience has cost me five years of my life.

It's fascinating to see that EZ-Pass is clearly a failure, but it's promoters either dont want to admit it, or it's become another boondoggle that nobody wants to do away with. It's a failure because when you're racked-up bumper-to-bumper at a toll plaza, take note of how few are using it! It doesnt relieve traffic at all AND few use it. Time to get rid of it, which of course means it will be with us forever no matter how many consumers flip it the middle finger. Fucking DOT!

Last edited:
It's fascinating to see that EZ-Pass is clearly a failure, but it's promoters either dont want to admit it, or it's become another boondoggle that nobody wants to do away with. It's a failure because when you're racked-up bumper-to-bumper at a toll plaza, take note of how few are using it! It doesnt relieve traffic at all AND few use it. Time to get rid of it, which of course means it will be with us forever no matter how many consumers flip it the middle finger. Fucking DOT!
I guess it depends on which toll plaza you go to. For me, at the midtown tunnel, it is a godsend, and seems to get a lot of use from other drivers. And, FYI, there is a move afoot to make EZ-Pass work with NYC parking meters. That would be another godsend.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
I love the EZPass. I am one of the people who zips through the tolls. I don't think that it's not being used, as you assert. I think that the speed it affords mean that even with people using it, there aren't lines at the tolls for the EZPass users.

billyS

Reign of Terror
It's a failure because when you're racked-up bumper-to-bumper at a toll plaza, take note of how few are using it!
I think you are wrong on this. I guess since I have one and never sit in traffic at the tolls, this doesn't bother me and don't think of it as a failure, rather the people sitting in the traffic as the failures for not getting one.
It doesnt relieve traffic at all AND few use it. Time to get rid of it, which of course means it will be with us forever no matter how many consumers flip it the middle finger. Fucking DOT!
That is really backwards thinking. So because people aren't smart enough to get one then it is the Easypass that is the failure?

EZ pass

I think the biggest reason people don't use EZ pass, is they are afraid of big brother watching. I have people telling me that all the time. Hell I use it ,my wife uses it, I get the statements online and only I have the pass word to retrieve it. You guys are too paranoid. LE doesn't have the resources or the desire to hunt down us mongers. Most of the cops and civilians I know have babes on the side anyhow. They usually set up a sting in response to a complaint from neighbors, business or other individual who frown on such activity. If course, its easy for me. My home is in the middle of PA, I don't monger at home or anywhere near home. In NYC, that's a whole nother issue.

It seems to me that at least half of the cars I see have an EZ Pass on the window, and I bet most of them don't realize how they can be watched, or, like me, don't care.

jwills is right. All of the things that can be done are done when there's a serious crime, but unless you're wealthy and your wife is really after you with pro help, not that much effort is going to go into it. And as far as the cops are concerned, don't forget these are misdemeanors.

I think many here would worry less about Big Brother accessing the information than they would about significant other accessing it. Especially if they are a joint accunt holder on whatever account your ez pass charges are charged against, which is usually a credit card.

If I had an SO I'd have separate accounts, and the cover story is fairly easy: I need a separate account because of reimbursable tolls for work. Otherwise, I'd use the cash lane when discretion is necessary. As stated before, with online delivery of the statements. Also, you can go to their storefront in College Point and charge up with cash.

EZ Pass saves a lot of time. It only looks like people aren't using it because they, and I, just zip through the tolls.

I'm on the road quite a bit and I find it saves me a lot of time. Especially the few sites that have the sweeping style readers that can check the EzPass unit at highway speeds.

I do have a special sleeve I can pop the unit in if I decided I don't want to be tracked and at those times I pay cash.

I'm on the road quite a bit and I find it saves me a lot of time. Especially the few sites that have the sweeping style readers that can check the EzPass unit at highway speeds.

I do have a special sleeve I can pop the unit in if I decided I don't want to be tracked and at those times I pay cash.
i agree with Thorn and Billy it shaved 45 minutes off a trip! Just keep the bag handy and put it in when you don't want to be tracked