Double Life: General tips and tricks not covered in other Double Life threads.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Waterclone, what do you think about rolling to a new ***** address/phone number every once in a while? Is it more trouble than its worth?
I don't bother. It's probably not a bad idea. Especially if someone is actively suspicious of you and you need to cover your tracks better then most. But for me, I have not had any problems with my long lived alter ego.

Bandaid;

Another problem appears when you have to fill in the username. For example, in yahoo, when you go to enter the username and type one letter, it will fill it in. You will also have to clear forms also...

I know the SanDisk has a USB drive with software which allows you to install software like Firefox on it and it may not have these types of problems.

Then again, I have a Mac, so I use Safari web browser with the Private Browsing enabled....

:)

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Other ways to avoid browser memory difficulties.

1. Use 2 different browsers. Safari or IE for normal activities and Firefox for hobby ones. That way you never have anything untoward in your history on the "clean" browser. Of course a portable version of firefox on a usb drive is the safest way to do this.

2. Use the multi user features of your OS. On a Mac, create an additional user account called test. Most tech support folks advocate having a clean, unused account anyway. It's good for seeing if a problem is system wide, or preference related. Anyway, log into that separate account for all hobby activities and then log out when done.

Last edited:
1. Use 2 different browsers. Safari or IE for normal activities and Firefox for hobby ones.
This has the added advantage of preserving a "clean" browser history in Safari/IE, which looks a little less suspicious than a browser history that is constantly being cleared. XP users can also adjust their start menu properties to prevent frequently used programs from appearing in the start menu, so your use of Firefox will not be apparent to other users on the same machine.

Of course, different browsers ... different users ... all of this is relevant if and only if ...

you use a computer to which you and only you have exclusive access. Exclusive access is the ultimate control.

Here is a place to put general info on tools, tips and tricks on how to successfully lead a double life in benefit of this "thing of ours".

Rental cars

When going to liaisons where it is even remotely possible that someone might be checking license plates [other than LE who can trace it back through the rental company] I rent a car to use for the day rather than use my own.

Hotels vs Motels.

In general I will not see providers who use motels with outside parking lot access to the rooms. It is too easy to monitor who is coming and going from a distance. LE loves using these venues for stings.

I much prefer,if I am going to see a provider using a hotel, or set up a liaison with a provider, a business class hotel that has lots of foot traffic in the lobby. It makes it unlikely anyone will take particular notice of a non-guest coming up to a room.

Of course, different browsers ... different users ... all of this is relevant if and only if ...

you use a computer to which you and only you have exclusive access. Exclusive access is the ultimate control.

Absolutely.

Barring exclusive access to a system, exclusive access to the tools used is the next best thing.

For guys and gals who must surf at work what I recommend is either a personal laptop with tunneling software linked via encrypted tunnel to wi-fi or wired internet or a boot-able USB key-drive with tunneling software, a personal browser, and evidence/cleaner eradicator software.

You boot to the key-drive, if possible, use the encrypted tunneling software and personal browser and favorites on the key-drive, clean up using the cleaning software, leave no traces.

I.T. will be able to tell someone is on the internet at that node, but not what they are seeing. Even a packet sniffer will tell them nothing more than there is encrypted traffic going in and out through specific ports.

Now if the company has a written policy about encrypted traffic on their network... then you obviously can't use their network even in this manner. Most companies don't bother checking for encrypted traffic though [even though they should because it is a GREAT way to leak info and other acts of corporate espionage].

I really like Privacy View. What it does is allow you to have completely separate iteration of IE within PV with its own bookmarks and history that is invisible when PV isn't running, plus encripted file space and a handy database for retrieving pictures. If you add Private Proxy, (which I don't use) you'll be compeltely invisible. You can find it here: http://www.privacyview.com/

You can also get a prepaid credit card with no personal information attached to it, if you are doing a "date that includes dinner or you want to take your provider shopping and you don't want to carry cash. Treat it ike cash though because if you ost it it won't be replaced!
http://www.paidbycash.com/pbc/home.jsp?merchantId=560
I just read the terms & conditions. There are a lot of fees attached. It is NOT a good deal!

Question for a techie:

If I go to Google, search for a website, say, www.utopiaguide.com, and go there, can IT tell where I've gone? (When I do this, I've noticed that Google is the only URL Address that shows on the 'history list'. Also, someone else told me that they weren't able to access AOL at work, but could do so by going through Google.)

wolf5958

lil Fuzzybear
Google searches are stored on the google servers this is stored by IP access that is how it remembers your searches. To test this out do a google search from home and than the same search from work you will not see the history unless you use the same machine. This can be bad if you carry a laptop because of inbeded info in the windows OS google can see the laptop no matter the location. Just remember everyone windows XP and down keeps hidden history files that you can not get rid of without a third party software. It is how microsoft is able to track IE use and bug fixes. Bill Gates is still watching.....

What about EZ pass

Does anyone else worry about EZ pass statements causing a problem. For example, why were you crossing the Holland Tunnel at 12:30AM on a Thursday night? I have been careless with this, just wondered if others worry about it.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
The short answer is, Yes, IT can tell where you have gone. Information like that is stored in the firewall logs. It has nothing to do with your history list.

How invisible can we make ourselves?

When going to liaisons where it is even remotely possible that someone might be checking license plates [other than LE who can trace it back through the rental company] I rent a car to use for the day rather than use my own.
Thanks for some great suggestions throughout this thread Thorn and all the others who contributed!
Re the rental car, aren't you creating some kind of trail because you need to show ID to get the rental, at least any time I have rented. I imagine if someone really wanted to put in the effort with technology being what it is, a rental could be traced back to you with just a bit more difficulty than your personal vehicle.
Even using a car service or limo or even a taxithere is going to be a trail from the log the driver keeps
I was out in California in January & made a right on Red. No one stopped me, but about a month later I got a ticket in the mail from their redflex camera system. They got my info from the car rental company who charged me extra for providing the info. I know this is a law enforcement issue so it ws given priority, but with Internet technology & a few dollars can't you basically find out anything about anybody?
I believe one of the advantages of having a rental is that if you get caught in some kind of illegal activiity a rental car is released, rather than your personal vehicle which is impounded.

Last edited:
Does anyone else worry about EZ pass statements causing a problem. For example, why were you crossing the Holland Tunnel at 12:30AM on a Thursday night? I have been careless with this, just wondered if others worry about it.
I tend to use alibis that are consistent with bridge and tunnel usage, but if that's a problem you can either a) choose to receive electronic statements instead of paper and have them sent to an ****** account only you will see, or b) stick your EZ Pass inside one of those metallic envelopes and go through the cash lane.