Craig's List - cheapee's review

Originally posted by pswope
My experience has been in the affirmative.......if her eyes were closed

(perfect Susan imitation. Are U Rich Little?)

No, I went by "Bill" and I think that was before "Furniture." Its all coming back now-- remember the Kleenex room?

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
Originally posted by Cat_Ballou
I've felt more dehumanized and under-valued in most of the corporate jobs that I've had than in sex work. And while there are certainly assholes in this world who will attempt to make you feel bad about yourself -- in fact, feel entitled to do so -- at least in sex work, you can refuse to book another session with him; his corporate doppelganger signs your check and your annual performance review.
I think the difference here is not the nature of the work, but the context. As a corporate type, you were doing "respectable" work, but had no control over who you had to do it with. You were told who by the guy that signed your performance review. Contrast that with your sex work where your work is less "respectable" (per society at large), but you make all the decisions. You have control of your life.

Guys on whoreboards are always talking about how they are the customer and as customer, the experience is all for them and their enjoyment. That may be true, but the lady makes all the rules, so she is in charge.

I've had a similar experience in my professional life. I've worked for corporations and big consulting firms doing virtually the same stuff I do now. But, I'm much more satisfied with my life now, because I get to pick and choose who I want to work with. I've fired more prospects and clients than I can count. It is no fun to work with assholes.

p.s. Oops, I forgot. This is a serious comment.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Wwanderer
Imo, ther reason that people see commercial sexual transactions as so different from other types of commercial transactions is most often rooted in hang-ups about sex, in feelings that one somehow does not deserve sexual gratification unless one loves and is loved, not about using other people for gratification (something that happens all the time in many different contexts).
I'm so dense that I can't see the difference between what you wrote and what I wrote.

Originally posted by justlooking
I'm so dense that I can't see the difference between what you wrote and what I wrote.
JL, I think you've just achieved Nirvana, total One-ness with the Universe. Or at least, One-ness with Wwanderer...

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
Originally posted by justlooking
Deep water lies in this direction, but in brief, not all hang-ups or negative feelings or aversions have anything at all to do with feelings of guilt.

-Ww

Wwanderer

Originally posted by Cat_Ballou
JL, I think you've just achieved Nirvana, total One-ness with the Universe. Or at least, One-ness with Wwanderer...
The above is a pretty good candidate for the single most unexpected thought I have ever encountered online or elsewhere...

"Suffering alone exists, none who suffer;
The deed there is, but no doer thereof;
Nirvana is, but no one seeking it;
The Path there is, but none who travel it."
- The Visuddhimagga (16)

-Ww

Wwanderer

Originally posted by pjorourke
Contrast that with your sex work where your work is less "respectable" (per society at large), but you make all the decisions. You have control of your life.
Imo, PJ is dead on target here. A lot of people, men and women, cannot see prostitution as anything but degrading and immoral, or at least as an unpleasant and undesirable way to make a living. But it is my impression that a woman who gets past the cultural stigmatizations and conditioning re selling sex can sometimes find power, independence and freedom (not to mention wealth) which is unrivaled by any other option that is open to her. This is not so common imo, but I have met quite a number of examples in my hobbying career.

-Ww

Last edited:
The above is a pretty good candidate for the single most unexpected thought I have ever encountered online or elsewhere...

"Suffering alone exists, none who suffer;
The deed there is, but no doer thereof;
Nirvana is, but no one seeking it;
The Path there is, but none who travel it."
- The Visuddhimagga (16)

-Ww
Maybe you should change your name to Siddhartha.

pswope

One out of three
Imo, PJ is dead on target here. A lot of people, men and women, cannot see prostitution as anything but degrading and immoral, or at least as an unpleasant and undesirable way to make a living. But it is my impression that a woman who gets past the cultural stigmatizations and conditioning re selling sex can sometimes find power, independence and freedom (not to mention wealth) which is unrivaled by any other option that is open to her. This is not so common imo, but I have met quite a number of examples in my hobbying career.

-Ww
While I agree with you, in my 20 something years of commercial sex I have met maybe 2 handfuls of working girls,who were together enuf to use commercial sex as a vehicle of empowerment as opposed to one of enduring harm. Most of them were from Susans,over a decade ago. A greter number are harmed to the degree that they are almost incapable of having an intimate relationship w/ a SO,but at least obtain greater wealth than they could have in the square world.

pjorourke

Thinks he's Caesar's Wife
swope,

I was not being perscriptive -- i.e., saying that whoring was a road to better control of a woman's life. Rather, I was commenting on why I thought Cat felt better about her sex work than her straight work. Maybe she is just part of your rare two handfuls.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the current historical thought is that sex work was among the first, and to a good extent the only, way in which women could obtain personal property and some degree of control over their own lives.

Originally posted by John75
is there a way to lock this topic out? it is way off topic and becoming an 11page bore -- hopefully the moderator will take care of this.
If you don't like the topic, or the trend of the conversation, you're certainly free to introduce a new subject, or go to another thread, of which there is an embarrassment of riches. Your interjecting simply to complain, without offering any remedy (other than to hope someone else will take care of it for you), is a bit silly...

I'm as big a fan of thread drift and general discussion (and as much an un-fan of "Greek In New Jersey" posts) as anyone.

But there's some prudence in:

Originally posted by paulie_walnuts
As interesting as this and any number of other drifting threads are...and I've been as guilty as anyone...my sense is that maybe a dozen people are just talking (a lot!) about random topics in random locations. It's a bit rude to the 15,000 lurkers who likely don't want to read every single word here and would like to be able to use thread topics to find the info they need.

After a few drifted posts folks should have the good manners to start a new thread (most likely in the off-topic section) and invite everyone to continue over there.
(Obviously in this case the drift isn't Off-Topic.)

Last edited:
understand that it's a few of the similar pseudo intelligent , multilple k posted members who love to pontificate about thier superior vocabulary and/or wisdom and experiance. This is where they vent because no human in thier right mind would audibly listen to thier gibberish for more than 3 minutes.

I have been on this board for about 4 months, and they do it on other threads as well. Think about thier place in this world, and be grateful your not in thier shoes.

Originally posted by sininnyc
understand that it's a few of the similar pseudo intelligent , multilple k posted members who love to pontificate about thier superior vocabulary and/or wisdom and experiance. This is where they vent because no human in thier right mind would audibly listen to thier gibberish for more than 3 minutes.

I have been on this board for about 4 months, and they do it on other threads as well. Think about thier place in this world, and be grateful your not in thier shoes.
As I am grateful to not be in yours...

Listen, I'm sympathetic to issues of thread drift, and I'm willing to follow the game plan, but worrying about 15,000 people who refuse to participate in the conversation is just not a challenge I'm willing to take on, nor do I see why I should feel responsible for whether their needs are met or not. You don't like they way things are happening? Get off your ass and do something about it, don't say "Gee, I hope the moderator takes care of it" and whine at people simply because you don't have anything to contribute to what they're talking about...

Hell, start your own thread and police it like the nation's security depends on it, if you're that bothered...

Wwanderer

Originally posted by pswope
While I agree with you, in my 20 something years of commercial sex I have met maybe 2 handfuls of working girls,who were together enuf to use commercial sex as a vehicle of empowerment as opposed to one of enduring harm.
My experience, over about 30 years, is not so grim as yours, but since I have the impression that we have been hobbying in rather different venues and styles and markets, maybe there is no reason to expect that we would have similar impressions in this regard.

-Ww

Wwanderer

Originally posted by John75
is there a way to lock this topic out? it is way off topic and becoming an 11page bore -- hopefully the moderator will take care of this.
Originally posted by sininnyc

The things that always astonish me about posts such as these are 1) that anyone imagines that such complaints will have any effect at all on other participants' posting habits and 2) that it does not seem to occur to those who do not like certan posters or types of threads or whatever that they can simply refrain from reading the offending material.

And, fwiiw, the idea of trying to take into account the interests of lurkers is way too hypothetical for me. They can be imagined to like or dislike anything at all, and of course they too have the option of not reading what does not interest or please them.

-Ww

The things that always astonish me about posts such as these are 1) that anyone imagines that such complaints will have any effect at all on other participants' posting habits and 2) that it does not seem to occur to those who do not like certan posters or types of threads or whatever that they can simply refrain from reading the offending material.

And, fwiiw, the idea of trying to take into account the interests of lurkers is way too hypothetical for me. They can be imagined to like or dislike anything at all, and of course they too have the option of not reading what does not interest or please them.

-Ww
As the great JL would say: Ditto...