judge crater

i would surmise:

sexy whore
occassional hobbyist
rajah
buddyyyyy
caitlin
kate courtesan

and even cloud nine, though he'd probably deny it.

i'm sure i missed a number of other people.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
"It [parentheses] reminds a person of those dentists who secure your instant and breathless interest in a tooth by taking a grip on it with the forceps, and then stand there and drawl through a tedious anecdote before they give the dreaded jerk. Parentheses in literature and dentistry are in bad taste."
-- Mark Twain "That Awful German Language"

Heh.

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by PetiteFantasy
But, the way you spaced your post does exactly what the parenthesis do--separate out different thoughts. It's repetitive, which I think is one of the reasons I dislike that style so. Actually, in this case I think your post would've made a whole more sense and had much better flow if you had simply used some commas, even though that could have made a run-on sentence.
I forced the issue in that post.

I used to use commas, but it got really difficult to keep track of subthoughts so I switched to nested parentheses which were more visually delimiting.

The use of multiple parenthesis that aren't nested is more to delimit asides to asides.

Ultimately the parentheses are just lazy writing. I should be able to sort out all the asides in the flow of the narrative. Alas, I rarely edit my posts, preferring to spew them out. Maybe if I typed as fast as JL evidently does I could spend more time on the posts. If I tried to do that now, however, HvB and JL would post three pages in between.

(Note that computer programmers (who aren't known for their verbal skills to begin with (but who cares because it isn't a skill terribly critical to what they do for a living (as if that's all that mattered))) do terrible violence to the proper use of parentheses (because they are under the influence of computer language syntax)).

rajah:

short list re: those who care about grammar. 1st mitzvah and now this. i know you're nearing senility but please keep up.

melanie, justme and anyone else who cares:

i favor the dash (as did my idol emily dickenson) to set off expositional phrases.

Originally posted by justme
HvB and JL would post three pages in between.
good typing skills are essential to au courrant lawyers -- what with the secretarial cutbacks (and the diminished skills of the current secretarial pickings [damn, all the really good ones go to law school])* and the death of those dictaphone-toting elder partners.

*i'm sure there still are lawyers who could wax rhapsodic about the good old days b/f women went to law school. (when their radcliffe-educated secretaries would catch grammatical errors in their cover letters [but i digress. i do.].)

note melanie, period within and without the paren or i suppose to be more accurate -- square bracket.

Last edited:

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by h. von bingen
i favor the dash (as did my idol emily dickenson) to set off expositional phrases.
William Saffire ranted on about hyphen usage in the place of parentheticals somewhat recently.

justme

homo economicus
note melanie, period within and without the paren or i suppose to be more accurate -- square bracket.
Brackets (and braces) have fallen out of favor in technical writing as they often have symantic meaning other than as a delimitor.

That came off as much more snottish than I intended. I generally don't care about anyone else's bad grammar... just my own.

rajah:

short list re: those who care about grammar. ...
1. I think of "short list" in a different context, you see.

2. Quote from a post in the Memory Lane thread:

"Those fortunate few who remember the legendary Mick--her of the twinkling personality, the cheery smile, the exquisite breasts, and the idiosyncratic use of the razor, not to mention sundry skills ..."

Note scrupulous use of appositive in the objective case.

Status
Not open for further replies.