Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
May have to lay low for a while. All the RA’s and CVS stores including online Walmart are out of surgical face masks. I was told they are being bought by family relatives here in the US and sent to China. If it’s found out that this virus is weapons grade we are in for The Stand.

What I find scary is how quickly a virus could be spread ... We make an assumption that Corona was not manufactured in a laboratory and its origin is just what it is...
The Virus that is manufactured, weaponized that could be used for sinister purposes...
That would keep me up at night
To put the Corona virus in perspective — yes it can be a major problem, IMHO mainly because of the modern transportation systems that exist today.

However the influenza pandemic of 1918 infected approximately one-fourth of the 100 million population of the United States and killed an estimated 675,000 w/o modern transportation systems .
Globally, roughly 500 million people were infected, with a death toll estimated at 50 million out of a total of just over 2 billion (note that today China has around 1.5 billion) and in 1918 you couldn't leave China and be in the US the next day.
The corona virus is different from the 1918 flu in that deaths are primarily with people who are already medically compromised whereas the 1918 flu kill young healthy adults. For example some of the military boot camps were very hard hit and those that died were primarily healthy fit young men.

Let's hope this coronavirus stays relatively benign. A decade ago I had a tiny role planning avian influenza pandemic response for a northeast city. H5N1 had crossed the species barrier in Asia and was exceptionally deadly. A pandemic(s) could possibly come and go here - in waves of six and eight weeks. Only oseltamavir and zanamavir were deemed effective medications and supplies were insufficient for wide application. Daily necessities of life would be severely affected. Employers would be asked (told?) to furlough staff or have them telecommute. Zero public assemblies. Senior living and nursing facilities, a prep school and several colleges would be emptied - populations expected 'to go home' wherever that may be. Curfews, checkpoints and quarantine zones would be regulated by local, county and state officials including police. Martial law was not mentioned other than 'such planning is for others'.
-> What condition would trigger first actions from that plan? The mere appearance of infected individuals in any major travel hub one hop outside the US. No waiting for first cases in the US for H5N1. My plan? Vacate to a suitably stocked friend's place, way off the beaten track. The veneer of civilization is thin and fragile.

USA government jet loading up Americans locked in Wuhan, the epicenter. Not enough room for all. It will be interesting to see how many if any at all contracted the virus.

Chinese are germaphobes. It has been in their culture definitely before this outbreak. Even prior to this outbreak in China and surrounding Asian countries I have seen a very high percentage of people wearing surgical masks. All the doctors in all the hospitals well prior to this outbreak wore surgical masks even in pleasant conversation as well as all store clerks and at least half of the general public.

It always was very difficult to understand peoples' speech muffled through the mask.

A few months back I went for treatment in an Asian country for a muscle tightness issue and spoke to the doctor. After a masked conversation, I was a little annoyed because I could not understand everything being said to me. Anyway, she looked cute and I told her that I would love to see her with her mask off. Neither her nor the masked nurses found my cute joke funny. Now in Asia, getting a girl's mask off is more difficult than removing her bra and panties.

They are so attached to their masks. And if you don't wear a mask, you are considered belligerent
and selfish. I am in a neighboring nation and I might have to succumb to dawning a mask for fear of not the virus but peer pressure.

Secretly, behind closed doors, I fitted a mask on to see how it feels. Asia is a bit cold now and I was pleasantly surprised that the inhalation and exhalation of breath creates a lovely warm environment in and around the face, much like an English scarf. Kind of puts you in your own kind of isolated space, isolated from the masses. Very peaceful sensation. I could see where it can cause addiction to mask-dawning.

Would you believe there are people out there that think the Coronavirus is caught from drinking Corona Beer. I'm not making this up. On Google a large number of people are actually searching for Corona Beer Virus. Lately, for this and other reasons my faith in the Human Race sinks lower and lower. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are fleeing Corona Queens.

A short tour of the now closed Wuhan Wet Market. (supposed origin of the Corona virus) Not dissimilar from the thousands of other wet markets in Asia. Just really a memory of ancient life in modern times.

Ancient cultures would never be satisfied with meat slaughtered, preserved, packaged, frozen, sanitized and of unknown origin. They believed that the spirit, the qi in a fresh killed animal adds to their vitality and it is not just foodstuff and taste and protein.

Times have changed. But in the past to hunt and kill and eat a wild animal was a great event as that animal's will to survive would not make it easy for a hunter with spears. When they killed an animal every part was used and even the bones would finally be boiled for a great length of time until all the collagen and gelatinous material emerged and also reaping the benefits of the nutrient-rich marrow, the deepest part of the animals' structure.

But to see it in modern times is like visiting a zoo for the dead.

PETA disney world

Would you believe there are people out there that think the Coronavirus is caught from drinking Corona Beer. I'm not making this up. On Google a large number of people are actually searching for Corona Beer Virus. Lately, for this and other reasons my faith in the Human Race sinks lower and lower. I wouldn't be surprised if some people are fleeing Corona Queens.
60 million of them.

..... The veneer of civilization is thin and fragile.
I've said something like that to friends and they think I'm some kind of survivalist nut (I'm not — if I was I certainly wouldn't be living in such a populated place as LI with only a few pinch point ways to exit).
Also some people say best investment is to keep some gold to use to barter for essentials. I strongly disagree; best investment is some weapons and ammunition. Not joking.

I've said something like that to friends and they think I'm some kind of survivalist nut (I'm not — if I was I certainly wouldn't be living in such a populated place as LI with only a few pinch point ways to exit).
Also some people say best investment is to keep some gold to use to barter for essentials. I strongly disagree; best investment is some weapons and ammunition. Not joking.
Sure. Weapons would be needed for your survival as the neighborhood would become Dodge City.

If the social structure broke down and LE was non-existent, it would behoove us to have the foresight of Tony Montana (Al Pacino) in "Scarface" and pull out a Colt AR-15 with a mocked-up M203 grenade launcher and in your best Cuban accent announce "You wanna play rough? Okay. SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!!!!"

Wasn’t it during the SARS scare in China that signs were posted all around not to spit. Seems like their personal hygiene is questionable.
On another note google Black cloud over China. I’d never travel over there, due to air quality issues. Their coal fired power plants during Winter when Hydro’s cut back really pollute the air. 1.5 Billion people live in China.

Masks are ineffective, must be rated N95 respiratory and they tightly fit over nostrils and mouth. Frequently wash hands, no contact with mouth and get a flu shot if not haven't gotten one yet.

Food.

Masks are ineffective, must be rated N95 respiratory and they tightly fit over nostrils and mouth. Frequently wash hands, no contact with mouth and get a flu shot if not haven't gotten one yet..........
Even the N95 masks (these are medical masks rated to filter out 95% of 0.3 micron particles) would not be all that effective as even though the viruses in the coronavirus family are all quite large as far as viruses go they average a little over 0.1 microns.

However the N95 and even the non-medical paper dust and pollen masks you can get at a hardware store (average pollen size is 25 microns) would prevent virus that may be on your fingers from getting in your mouth and nose as the mask would be in the way. Of course they don't cover your eyes so that method of exposure is available to the virus.

Also masks may prevent large droplets from a sneeze of cough.

My take: waste of time, money and very inconvenient.

The Washington Times is not a reliable news source. There are a bunch of conspiracy theories about the origin of this virus. Now that Lunar New Year is ending there will be many people traveling and may be spreading this even more...
And coincidently the Chinese Lunar New Year for 2020 is the Year of the Rat. A real dirty rodent.

Status
Not open for further replies.