Colonoscopy

I had one once. It wasn't bad. The drugs they pumped into me were great. When I woke up, I felt unsteady but not in a unpleasant way. I guess you could say I was walking into walls, but I was thoroughly enjoying it.

Interestingly, I was later told by somebody that the drug in question doesn't put a person out, but makes it so that they have no memory of a certain period of time. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, I can only imagine what I said while they had a tube up my ass. One of the nurses in the room was VERY cute.

The worst part about the procedure was the preparation. I don't remember the exact details, but aside from the usual fasting, I had to take something that was supposed to clean me out, and I had to use a fleet enema at least once. I could have done without the enema.

Take a day off to fo the bowel prep properly so they can get a proper look at things.

I received Propofol for the procedure (Just like Michael). As it was administered by an anesthesiologist (unlike Michael) I had the good fortune of waking up afterwards (and feeling fine). Afterwards I went out and had a big lunch.

Well, i was told to drink an entire bottle of mucilex and take 4 pills of Ducolax the day before, starting 1pm. I can come home early from work and drink this stuff and just sit on the bowl. I heard this part was the worst. I just don't do well with anesthesia. Thats what I'm afraid of.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I had one last year for the first time. The worst was the day before. The concept of giving yourself diarrhea is pretty fucked up. I did mine on a Monday morning and they had me start a liquid diet on Saturday, only clear liquids on Sunday then start drinking that nasty stuff Sunday night. Something with the word Phosfo in it. That was the worst part.

I was out cold for 99% of it, i came out at the end and felt him taking the tube out. I had a lot of gas as he was pumoing air into my colon for a better look. The nurse told me to fart it out and even pushed down on my back as I layed on my stomach.

Last edited:
I had the fasting thing, and they gave me several cans of a phospho-soda drink I had to take an hour apart in the evening to clean me out. I was told not to drink anything red, because it interferes with them seeing what they need to see or it's confusing for them.

The procedure itself wasn't a big deal for me, either. They took three benign polyps out, so getting the colonoscopy was a smart thing to do. They didn't let me drive myself home or take a cab, so I had to get the Red Cross to do it. It's one of the things they do.

I've had the procedure twice. The night before is the worst part of it. You must drink this gross tasting liquid which really cleans out your system. The actual procedure is so easy. You get into a gown and they wheel you into the room and give you an anesthetic. The next thing you know, you're waking up in the recovery room. They give you juice & cookies and wait until you are alert. You must have someone to take you home (you can't drive after the procedure). That's it. Well worth the discomfort to avoid (or detect early) cancer.

Don't worry about the procedure... that part is a piece of cake. it's the prep that is bad. even the not eating isn't an issue... just stay home during the prep...

My family has a history of colon cancer, and I have had this procedure done three times. The procedure itself was not a problem. The Dr. I go to administers an anesthetic, and I sleep. One time I did wake, and looked up to and saw the the image of inside my colon on the TV. That was cool.
The worst part about colons copy's is the prep. Like everyone esle stated stay home and buy tucks.

Last edited:
The Dr. I go to administers an anesthetic, and I sleep. One time I did wake, and looked up to and saw the the image of inside my colon on the TV.
It wasn't cool if you were under anesthesia. Your anesthesiologist didn't do his job well. You are lucky you weren't getting surgery.

It wasn't cool if you were under anesthesia. Your anesthesiologist didn't do his job well. You are lucky you weren't getting surgery.
No this is not an operation with a full staff. The procedure is done in the doctor's office.
I know some people have gone through a colonoscopy without any drugs be administered.

I walk up, about half way through for a moment, and went back to sleep.

Well, i was told to drink an entire bottle of mucilex and take 4 pills of Ducolax the day before, starting 1pm. I can come home early from work and drink this stuff and just sit on the bowl. I heard this part was the worst. I just don't do well with anesthesia. Thats what I'm afraid of.
Good luck and I hope everything turn out okay. I do not do well anesthesia also, they never give me enough.

I had it done twice, best sleep I've ever had. Lay down, count backwards from 100. Got to 92 both times. Next thing I knew, all done. My only problem was on the second one, they seem to pump you up with air to view things better. It took a little while for the farting to relieve all the pressure.
It wasn't a horrible experience, even drinking all that stuff.

Hey Emily,

The anethesia always gets me sick. Even when they give me the anti-puke stuff, i still puke. Seems that they give me too much. My first operation on my shoulder, it wasn't that bad but i was still woozy. The second time for my gall bladder, i was so sick.

As mentioned, dont worry about anything prior to the test. Your in good hands and whatever minor discomfort you have prior or after out weighs by far the extreeeem discomfort on you and your family if you dont do it and come up on the bad side of the deal for neglect.

I always schedule the test first thing in the morning. And do the prep the evening before. That way the whole thing is over fast.

My gastro used to do it without anesthesia, but with a heavy dose of demerol (synthetic morphine) and valium. Even with the drugs, the procedure was uncomfortable at times. You don't have any nerve endings in there, but they pump air into your colon in order to open it up so they can image more of it at one time, and it's kind of a nasty sensation. Also, coming off of the drugs was a drag. Now he has an anesthesiologist put me out, so I don't feel a thing. Much more pleasant experience.

It is no problem. Just drinking that shit the night before is ruff but that is it.
Unless you wake up from the procedure with the doctor in back of you with his hands on your shoulders, then you know it did not go too well.