Coaching youth sports and "Is Baseball a real sport?"

Most kids are bored playing baseball.
They don’t want to be taught patience. They want to move, run, they like some contacts, high speed. Most, not all, but almost all of the athletes in school, play football, and lacrosse. Then soccer as a second sport. They don’t play baseball.
I didnt say they Like it. But that it helps them realize they Have to deal with it. And then may or may not like the action when it occurs.

Baseball faces big problems these days and pace of the game is right up there. The one saving grace on that is it might attract degenerate gamblers as sports books open up a multitude of in game things to bet on with plenty of time to get the bet down.

As far as using baseball to teach patience, um okay, that concept never occurred to me and I really don't buy it.

For youths, at an early age soccer is a much better game because it involve larger muscle groups, running to develop the legs and lungs.

Baseball is more about fine motor skills that most kids don't have at a younger age.

Back in the 70's in the high school team locker room one thing I heard often "baseball is a game, lacrosse is a sport".
That said, I don't see anyone on the Long Island Lizards making 20 million a year so if you have a kid who is athletically gifted have him choose his sport wisely.
At this point I look at any student getting an athletic scholarship being a total success. With that in mind a lot of the less popular college sports are helping kids get money.

I still wish Long Island High Schools brought back rifle team.

I see baseball teaching patience as basically teaching them to stand around. Cause https://utopiaguide.pl/forums/index.php?threads/coaching-youth-sports.58205/ a big part of baseball. I see baseball as more of a skill or hand eye coordination than a sport. But that's my opinion.
I think
people feel they have to like baseball cause their father did or it's American. I liken it to people from long island feel they need to like billy Joel or NJ people the same thing with Springsteen or bon Jovi.
My father was a baseball diehard (Brooklyn dodgers), till he saw lacrosse. He wished they had it in the city when he was a kid

As You Say...But what you think / your opinion/ or the way you see Baseball can be & in some cases Is Far from fact.

I'm from LI & I like Both?? Explain that...So why Do I like The Beatles, Eric Clapton, The Moody Blues & Pink Floyd Better I sure as shit aint from Liverpool....That part is just plain ignorant.

I coached travel sports for my kids at a regional level for many years, some overlapping with my early years on UG

Before that of course when they were younger we started at town ball where I also coached.

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the more the kids sucked the worse the parents were.
Town ball was much more of a headache because more kids sucked and I had to deal mostly with moms.

Travel ball once in a while you got a kid on a team, usually the last player on the roster who was only there because his or her mom was blowing one of the other coaches or a higher up in the organization.
I had one mom come to every practice and demand her daughter do more than serve as the dummy runner during run down drills. It got ugly when I threw her out of the gym but I had to be done.
Any hot moms you banged

@ The Ricker...
Not sure why #26 posted twice feel free to delete.
Also just so you know I don't really take the banter on here all that seriously. Kinda like banter at a bar or while watching a game with buddies. But it seems you may be thinking I'm taking your words to heart more than I do.I argue only for the sake that I will always call out in accuracies. But I lose no sleep over it.
However I'm womdering if you are upset that I do. And strangely in another thread, a rather inoccuos post of mine(quoting yours) has vanished into the ether. As a MOD I know you can message me. Feel free to do so if you have an issue with me.
Thanks
&/Or hopefully the above clears things up.

So you rather they learn to stand around then actually run and play a real sport?
Wow Sport Shaming Are we???
Clearly you missed the point.
And What exactly are the criteria to be considered a "Real Sport" ??
i played Little League 1 season when I was a kid.
Other than the pitcher, catcher, 1st base and perhaps SS, most of the guys were just standing around waiting for some action. The most exercise anyone got was running out to their position then at the end of the inning running back to the dugout. At bat most of the time we just sat around hoping that the guys ahead of us wouldn't get out so at least we could get our chance at bat.
I don't watch pro BB as (last game I went to was in Ebbetts Field) I found it too boring and the so called "interesting facts" spouted out by the announcers I found banal and seemingly just there to fill the void when nothing was happening.

Football was a bit better, as even as a lineman (I was) defensive and especially offensive, every player would see (and do) some action.

Compare to soccer.

billyS

Reign of Terror
@ The Ricker...
Not sure why #26 posted twice feel free to delete.
Also just so you know I don't really take the banter on here all that seriously. Kinda like banter at a bar or while watching a game with buddies. But it seems you may be thinking I'm taking your words to heart more than I do.I argue only for the sake that I will always call out in accuracies. But I lose no sleep over it.
However I'm womdering if you are upset that I do. And strangely in another thread, a rather inoccuos post of mine(quoting yours) has vanished into the ether. As a MOD I know you can message me. Feel free to do so if you have an issue with me.
Thanks
&/Or hopefully the above clears things up.
The post that disappeared that you are talking about in the other thread was deleted by me along with a few other posts that were taking the thread off topic and giving attention to a member that seems to go out of his way to get attention.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Yes. One divorced, one recently separated.
Like shooting fish in a barrel but comes with baggage.
@Bricktop both were very needy which is what I picked up and preyed on.
The problem was both needed a man for both dick and emotional support.
I was more than willing to supply the dick which both were very grateful for but I really didn't want to give long term emotional support as I was married at the time.
Mongering was so much easier but there is an ego thing, the conquest of another man's pussy.

I wanted to play Jai Alai professionally, but missed the tryout when the strike hit in the late eighties. Far and away my favorite sport to play. A bunch of my friends were hired and over time progressed to be decent players.

"After the Baldwin High School Marksmanship Team beat Glen Cove High School, and their season high score, they were treated by coach Mike Palumbo to McDonalds."

Wow What a guy!

Baseball faces big problems these days and pace of the game is right up there. The one saving grace on that is it might attract degenerate gamblers as sports books open up a multitude of in game things to bet on with plenty of time to get the bet down.

As far as using baseball to teach patience, um okay, that concept never occurred to me and I really don't buy it.

For youths, at an early age soccer is a much better game because it involve larger muscle groups, running to develop the legs and lungs.

Baseball is more about fine motor skills that most kids don't have at a younger age.

Back in the 70's in the high school team locker room one thing I heard often "baseball is a game, lacrosse is a sport".
That said, I don't see anyone on the Long Island Lizards making 20 million a year so if you have a kid who is athletically gifted have him choose his sport wisely.
That is part of the problem. Parent put him in baseball because he thinks he is great and I’ll become a pro. Meanwhile , the lactose player with get a 4 yr scholarship to a great university, then because of that line up a great job, while that baseball player who was the next Mikey Mantle, ctualky Ukraine and can only get into a community college or a division 3 School, realizes he isn’t on that quits, and good luck finding a job. I billy, they re choosing right. Nd it’s not baseball