Coaching youth sports and "Is Baseball a real sport?"

billyS

Reign of Terror
That is part of the problem. Parent put him in baseball because he thinks he is great and I’ll become a pro. Meanwhile , the lactose player with get a 4 yr scholarship to a great university, then because of that line up a great job, while that baseball player who was the next Mikey Mantle, ctualky Ukraine and can only get into a community college or a division 3 School, realizes he isn’t on that quits, and good luck finding a job. I billy, they re choosing right. Nd it’s not baseball
What the hell does the Ukraine have to do with any of this?

While your scenario are true they are not the ones I was alluding to in my comment about choosing a sport. I was talking about elite athletes who will wind up playing professional sports. Not johnny wannabe.

Even in your case, the lacrosse player who goes D1 vs the baseball player who isn't good enough to play D3 no matter which sport either one picked the results would have been the same. One kid has talent, the other one doesn't.

But the scenario of the lacrosse player brings up a good point. Playing professionally doesn't have to be the goal for a scholarship athlete. But rather a tool to get a good education.

...... Playing professionally doesn't have to be the goal for a scholarship athlete. But rather a tool to get a good education.
Here are sobering facts that few think about:

There were a total of 906 players on opening day rosters of Major League Baseball teams ahead of the 2021 season. Of these players, 650 were from the United States and 256 were from countries and territories outside the United States.

The average career of a Major League Baseball player is 5.6 years, according to a new study. The study also revealed that one in five position players will have only a single-year career, and that at every point of a player's career, the player's chance of ending his career is at least 11 percent.

It's even worse for basketball: a maximum of 510 players are in the NBA at the beginning of a new season. There are 60 players in each draft and the average NBA career is about 4.5 years.

The NBA was formed in 1949. There have been, aAccording to Stathead Basketball, a total of 4374 NBA players have played at least a single NBA match in the tournament's history

So unless you are unbelievably exceptional, it is simply not reasonable to place one's hopes on being a professional played and you had better have a really solid plan B — as Billy put it "a tool to get a good education".

As a further perspective 6 million people in the US are at genius level of intelligence, so it is much, much, much more likely to be a genius than it is to be a professional player and you be at that level for more than 5 to 6 years.

Just the facts, ma'am.