Coaching youth sports and "Is Baseball a real sport?"

I've often said(after coaching for 25 years) that Every parent should have their child play at least 5 seasons of Baseball in between the ages of 5-12. It is the only sport that at it's core teaches a child patience.
  • You wait your turn for drills
  • You wait you're turn at bat
  • You wait for the Pitcher to start the action
  • You wait for the chance the ball "May" come your way
Long waits for moments of precise, splendid athletic outcomes.
Kinda like getting Laid!

I've often said(after coaching for 25 years) that Every parent should have their child play at least 5 seasons of Baseball in between the ages of 5-12. It is the only sport that at it's core teaches a child patience.
  • Long waits for moments of precise, splendid athletic outcomes.
Coached girls, K through 8th grade. Wasn't as much fun the last two years but some of the younger years were memory lasting. One in particular was a "Sandlot" moment when my centerfielder, who never caught a ball the entire season, "robs" the batter of what surely would have been a grand slam, making the catch to end the inning. The entire team ran out to congratulate her. The kids rallied to win the game to boot.

• You wait your turn for drills
  • You wait you're turn at bat
  • You wait for the Pitcher to start the action
  • You wait for the chance the ball "May" come your way
Long waits for moments of precise, splendid athletic outcomes.
Kinda like getting Laid!
And then you have the parents- Yelling shit from the sidelines, thinking their little Joey is making it to the big leagues, best suited for a playing a position that they really suck at—- Shall I continue..
Coaching I found was one of the most fulfilling things I could do as a parent, yet one of the most thankless

Coached girls, K through 8th grade. Wasn't as much fun the last two years but some of the younger years were memory lasting. One in particular was a "Sandlot" moment when my centerfielder, who never caught a ball the entire season, "robs" the batter of what surely would have been a grand slam, making the catch to end the inning. The entire team ran out to congratulate her. The kids rallied to win the game to boot.
So you rather they learn to stand around then actually run and play a real sport?

And then you have the parents- Yelling shit from the sidelines, thinking their little Joey is making it to the big leagues, best suited for a playing a position that they really suck at—- Shall I continue..
Coaching I found was one of the most fulfilling things I could do as a parent, yet one of the most thankless
Agreed
While I had my share of "Those parents" If you are lucky enough to have good support around you then it is Not Thankless"
As I write this I'm looking at the plaque that the parents gave me one year, and the bat that is signed by all my players(from their only truly horrible season) another year. Nothing like hearing some 25-33 year old still refer to you as "Hey Coach" even though you don't expect them to.
Probably too late for this advice. But Every year started with a Parent meeting where I gave them the rules(written for them to sign off), as to what they can expect from me and what I expect from THEM. I think that helped a bit.

Wow Sport Shaming Are we???
Clearly you missed the point.
And What exactly are the criteria to be considered a "Real Sport" ??
America's past time has been passed by. It's a dying "sport" . Look at little league numbers, they are having a bigger drop off than youth football. And youth football has parents scared of concussions and CTE.

America's past time has been passed by. It's a dying "sport" . Look at little league numbers, they are having a bigger drop off than youth football. And youth football has parents scared of concussions and CTE.
Again that was NOT the point.
My point was what values playing the game & learnning the game helps to teach young minds. Not all but some....Patience

And you did'nt answer the question.
How exactly is Baseball Not a "Real Sport"?

Because it's a "Dying Sport" has Nothing to fucking do with it. Unless you're saying in some way that by virtue of dying it has become less "Real" .
But That makes no sense either

Again that was NOT the point.
My point was what values playing the game & learnning the game helps to teach young minds. Not all but some....Patience

And you did'nt answer the question.
How exactly is Baseball Not a "Real Sport"?

Because it's Dying has Nothing to fucking do with it.
Relax tiger. Your obviously a baseball lover. No need to curse.

I think parents should teach their kids patience, not a coach.

I think at a young age they should be taught teamwork. Baseball is more or less a individual sport, especially at younger ages.

And curling, curling is a real sport.

Relax tiger. Your obviously a baseball lover. No need to curse.

I think parents should teach their kids patience, not a coach.
I think at a young age they should be taught teamwork. Baseball is more or less a individual sport, especially at younger ages.
And curling, curling is a real sport.
Actually Yes but Not just Baseball. The only sport I don't like is Soccer and not that keen on hockey. I'm impressed by it just not into it.
I Coached Baseball, Football & Wrestling. Played all 3 as well. I take away from & love all 3 equally but different Just like my children LOL
OF Course Parents should teach patience, One last attempt at this: As a Sport the one that naturally "Helps" teach patience most is Baseball.(it also teaches Teamwork if taught properly) But Football best does that.
You just seemed to be arguing my point for no reason by bringing into it irrelevant arguments.
Curling has grown in popularity you know.

Oh yeah

Arrrrgggghhhhhh

Actually Yes but Not just Baseball. The only sport I don't like is Soccer and not that keen on hockey. I'm impressed by it just not into it.
I Coached Baseball, Football & Wrestling. Played all 3 as well. I take away from & love all 3 equally but different Just like my children LOL
OF Course Parents should teach patience, One last attempt at this: As a Sport the one that naturally "Helps" teach patience most is Baseball.(it also teaches Teamwork if taught properly) But Football best does that.
You just seemed to be arguing my point for no reason by bringing into it irrelevant arguments.
Curling has grown in popularity you know.

Oh yeah

Arrrrgggghhhhhh
I see baseball teaching patience as basically teaching them to stand around. Cause that's a big part of baseball. I see baseball as more of a skill or hand eye coordination than a sport. But that's my opinion.

I think people feel they have to like baseball cause their father did or it's American. I liken it to people from long island feel they need to like billy Joel or NJ people the same thing with Springsteen or bon Jovi.

My father was a baseball diehard (Brooklyn dodgers), till he saw lacrosse. He wished they had it in the city when he was a kid .

Most kids are bored playing baseball.
They don’t want to be taught patience. They want to move, run, they like some contacts, high speed. Most, not all, but almost all of the athletes in school, play football, and lacrosse. Then soccer as a second sport. They don’t play baseball.

Seeing young kids on the outfield bored looking at everything around them except home plate is hysterical. The most boring game ever.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Baseball faces big problems these days and pace of the game is right up there. The one saving grace on that is it might attract degenerate gamblers as sports books open up a multitude of in game things to bet on with plenty of time to get the bet down.

As far as using baseball to teach patience, um okay, that concept never occurred to me and I really don't buy it.

For youths, at an early age soccer is a much better game because it involve larger muscle groups, running to develop the legs and lungs.

Baseball is more about fine motor skills that most kids don't have at a younger age.

Back in the 70's in the high school team locker room one thing I heard often "baseball is a game, lacrosse is a sport".
That said, I don't see anyone on the Long Island Lizards making 20 million a year so if you have a kid who is athletically gifted have him choose his sport wisely.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I coached travel sports for my kids at a regional level for many years, some overlapping with my early years on UG

Before that of course when they were younger we started at town ball where I also coached.

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that the more the kids sucked the worse the parents were.
Town ball was much more of a headache because more kids sucked and I had to deal mostly with moms.

Travel ball once in a while you got a kid on a team, usually the last player on the roster who was only there because his or her mom was blowing one of the other coaches or a higher up in the organization.
I had one mom come to every practice and demand her daughter do more than serve as the dummy runner during run down drills. It got ugly when I threw her out of the gym but I had to be done.