Burner Phones

@Monty_monty : does a cell phone "turned off" still try and ping the tower? If so if it is in a Faraday bag as I understand, if the phone tries to ping and doesn't get a response, I thought the phone ups the transmit power (it "thinks" the tower may be too far away)in this case. So if true would not the phone on "off" then use more battery power than usual?

This is how I understood the operation when cell phones became popular years ago.

Yes, Sands Shopping Center in Oceanside. It was the only place I went to that day. My credit card statement, which I now check often online, always states the names of the merchants for each transaction, these entries just said purchase.
FWIW, I set up my cards such that I get a notification whenever there is a charge made.
The notification comes in literally withing seconds of the charge being swiped, tapped or the card chip read for a charge. For example, at the supermarket I tap the card and between the receipt being printed and the clerk handing it to I feel the buzz on my cell.

IMHO, this is far superior to checking a statement online "often" as you only get to see the charges after they post to your card as opposed to a few seconds after they actually happen.

I don't bother with my Target card as it requires me to enter a PIN for verification.

@Monty_monty : does a cell phone "turned off" still try and ping the tower? If so if it is in a Faraday bag as I understand, if the phone tries to ping and doesn't get a response, I thought the phone ups the transmit power (it "thinks" the tower may be too far away)in this case. So if true would not the phone on "off" then use more battery power than usual?

This is how I understood the operation when cell phones became popular years ago.
the general answer is no, your phone cannot be tracked when switched off. But this has been called into question numerous times.

certain authorities still being able to track your phone when turned off. For example, various reports have come out over the years claiming that the NSA (National Security Agency) can track a turned-off device. For example, Slate published a piece in 2013 discussing the NSA's alleged tracking of phones, as briefly mentioned in a Washington Post story.

In the same piece, Slate mentioned that in 2006, it was reported that the FBI had "deployed spyware to infect suspects’ mobile phones and record data even when they were turned off". A CNET post was referred to here as the source. It is not known if the NSA is truly capable of tracking phones while turned off, but the reports mentioned seem to indicate that this is the case to some extent.

law enforcement, have also been known to use Trojans to monitor the activity of criminals, with rumors circulating about the possibility of tracking devices when switched off. But, again, this is yet to be officially confirmed

For any regular individual or company, tracking your location with your phone turned off would be an extremely difficult task, so you likely don't need to worry too much about apps or your cell service provider keeping tabs on your location if you've shut down your phone.

Can You Be Tracked With Airplane Mode On?
Note that turning your phone off is not the same as enabling airplane mode. While airplane mode disables various wireless connections, it does still allow for GPS tracking. Although apps won't be able to transmit your location in real time, they will be able to continue to maintain a profile of exactly where you've been.

note that your phone can also be tracked with the location services turned off. If you're connected to a mobile network then cell towers will continue to collect the information. Or in more extreme cases, a malicious operator may be able to track your location using malware that is not affected by the deactivation of location services.

Sources:
https://slate.com/technology/2013/0...-cellphones-even-when-they-re-turned-off.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...c93cf4-f0b1-11e2-bed3-b9b6fe264871_story.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/privacy/fbi-taps-cell-phone-mic-as-eavesdropping-tool/

Also to address separately what your referring to is an activity parameter set by the network carriers; there are no universal standards but typically "how often does your phone ping the towers" work as follows:

there is a parameter that can be set by the carrier. It is basically an activity timer. Say for instancer, at 8 hours. So you turn your phone on, and it pings once, to tell the network it's on,and where it is. With the activity timer set at 8 hours, unless the phone moves to another cell, makes or recieves a call or text, or starts a data session, nothing happens.

After 8 hours, the phone will ping again, then be dormant for 8 more hours.

The purpose of the timer, is to not use network resources for a phone that has been off for more than 8 hours. As long as the 8 hours hasn’t passed, everytime an incoming text or voice call comes, the network will “page” the phone, in an attempt to complete the call.

If the timer expires, and the phone doesnt’t ping again, the network won’t bother to look for it. You can tell when you call it.

If you call, and the phone rings 3 times (again, a timer and paging protocol defined by the carrier. Most carriers “page” twice, before routing to voicemail, about 3 rings worth), then goes to voicemail, it is likely off, but has been off less than 8 hours. If it has been longer than 8 hours, the caller won’t hear a ring at all, the network already knows it hasn't “pinged” at the appropriate time, 8 hours. So no network resources are wasted looking for it.

If you get 4, or 5 rings before voicemail, the phone is on, but no one is answering.
Again, there are no “standards” for how these timers are set. The standards make them available, and specifies how they work. Each carrier has internal,practices for how they are set.

The only exception to the above, is if your phone is on a border between two “location areas”, which again are the defined by the carrier according to their preferences. If so, all phones periodically rescan, periodic registration, looking to be sure it's on the strongest cell (the rescan time is also defined by the carrier). If that timer is set at let’s say 5 minutes, every 5 minutes your phone will scan a list of towers, sent to it by the network, to see if it is still on the best tower. If on one scan, tower A is strongest, it will register (ping), and the 8 hour clock starts. 5 minutes later, the phone scans again. If tower A is still the strongest, nothing happens. If for some reason (you moved the phone, even slightly) on the next scan Tower B is now strongest, and B is a different location area, it will register again, pinging tower B, and updating its location in the network. Now, if a call comes, the network knows not to look for you on tower A, so it won’t waste paging resources, it will page on tower B, and any other towers sorftware defined as being part of the same location area. So if your phone is smack dab between two towers, with nearly equal signal strength, the phone could “pimg” every 5 minutes, or whatever rescan time is set. Note that while the phone is scanning, it can’t receive calls, which is why sometimes you call a phone and it goes to voicemail, but you try a minute later it rings.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Also to address separately what your referring to is an activity parameter set by the network carriers; there are no universal standards but typically "how often does your phone ping the towers" work as follows:

there is a parameter that can be set by the carrier. It is basically an activity timer. Say for instancer, at 8 hours. So you turn your phone on, and it pings once, to tell the network it's on,and where it is. With the activity timer set at 8 hours, unless the phone moves to another cell, makes or recieves a call or text, or starts a data session, nothing happens.

The purpose of the timer, is to not use network resources for a phone that has been off for more than 8 hours. As long as the 8 hours hasn’t passed, everytime an incoming text or voice call comes, the network will “page” the phone, in an attempt to complete the call.

If the timer expires, and the phone doesnt’t ping again, the network won’t bother to look for it. You can tell when you call it.

If you call, and the phone rings 3 times (again, a timer and paging protocol defined by the carrier. Most carriers “page” twice, before routing to voicemail, about 3 rings worth), then goes to voicemail, it is likely off, but has been off less than 8 hours. If it has been longer than 8 hours, the caller won’t hear a ring at all, the network already knows it hasn't “pinged” at the appropriate time, 8 hours. So no network resources are wasted looking for it.

If you get 4, or 5 rings before voicemail, the phone is on, but no one is answering.
Again, there are no “standards” for how these timers are set. The standards make them available, and specifies how they work. Each carrier has internal,practices for how they are set.

The only exception to the above, is if your phone is on a border between two “location areas”, which again are the defined by the carrier according to their preferences. If so, all phones periodically rescan, periodic registration, looking to be sure it's on the strongest cell (the rescan time is also defined by the carrier). If that timer is set at let’s say 5 minutes, every 5 minutes your phone will scan a list of towers, sent to it by the network, to see if it is still on the best tower. If on one scan, tower A is strongest, it will register (ping), and the 8 hour clock starts. 5 minutes later, the phone scans again. If tower A is still the strongest, nothing happens. If for some reason (you moved the phone, even slightly) on the next scan Tower B is now strongest, and B is a different location area, it will register again, pinging tower B, and updating its location in the network. Now, if a call comes, the network knows not to look for you on tower A, so it won’t waste paging resources, it will page on tower B, and any other towers sorftware defined as being part of the same location area. So if your phone is smack dab between two towers, with nearly equal signal strength, the phone could “pimg” every 5 minutes, or whatever rescan time is set. Note that while the phone is scanning, it can’t receive calls, which is why sometimes you call a phone and it goes to voicemail, but you try a minute later it rings.
Sometimes the it scares me that you know all this.

Sometimes the it scares me that you know all this.
My day job to afford my mongering is making technology work and getting systems that are built or developed by people that didn't account for systems to work together. To now work together... need to know lots about everything but also to not specialize in anything and thusly know nearly nothing at all.

Jack of all trades vs the super brilliant but only knows their tech inside and out

Yes, Sands Shopping Center in Oceanside. It was the only place I went to that day. My credit card statement, which I now check often online, always states the names of the merchants for each transaction, these entries just said purchase.
They got me at the outback down the road. Damn kids

This is why I never use my cellphone to contact a provider nor take it along with me when seeing a provider. The government can find you when and if they want. Just ask Ghislaine Maxwell. I only go to places that take walk-ins.

Phone's/PC's are absolutely capable of pinging when they are off. I've tested myself. Getting pretty deep in the weeds for us mere philanthropists, though. There are always faraday bags.
Incidentally, I have received an accidental group text (MMS) from a provider before. If it was my main line, i might be concerned. Happy Easter, folks.

I try not to overthink things. Nobody’s coming for you bruh
Joseph Heller — 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'

If anything you might not be the subject yet, but they most certainty will come after you. Just look at the history of the DEA (the mongers may not be the focus today), with its long history of faking investigations they call it “parallel construction”, even the FBI has employed this 4th Amendment violating tactic [and both agencies have used it to manufacture evidence of a crime for local PD's to use in court], this practice was hidden from US Courts and was kept from the public and both innocent and guilty defendants.

https://www.techdirt.com/2018/01/22...ment-routinely-engages-parallel-construction/

https://www.businessinsider.com/dea-agents-cover-up-spying-program-2013-8

Or that they knowingly hire "witnesses" and "informants" to lie in court
https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...for-paying-confidential-sources-idUSL2N1C50VR

A lot of government's illegal unconstitutional spying came to light in 2013 (from the parallel construction program, to EzPass and ALPR monitoring of cars)

Many times the alphabet soup agencies manufacture this evidence isn't even to pursue criminal charges, being innocent doesn't matter under the "civil asset forfeiture law" when they want your money and do they steal, famous organized crime syndicates and families wish they could do 5% of what our government does.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-cash-from-people-not-charged-with-a-crime/

https://www.aier.org/article/innocence-doesnt-matter-when-the-government-wants-to-steal-your-money/

Google abusive civil asset forfeiture law; just to see all the ways cops make 'traffic stop' and steal, so long as they do it for the police department bank accounts and not their personal bank accounts 'directly' [they get a cut indirectly with bonuses and wage increases, later].

Also see my other posts for far more detailed information about these programs.
Follow the conversation link look back for the full text. Post number 1272331 in "Reddit… Underutilized opportunities"

It's a long lengthy [wordy post] with lots of URL Sources take the time to read it
Follow the conversation link look back for the full text. Post number 1180908 in "NYPD texts..."

It's a long lengthy [wordy post] with lots of URL Sources take the time to read it
As New York state chief judge, Sol Wachtler, famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.”

Joseph Heller — 'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'

If anything you might not be the subject yet, but they most certainty will come after you. Just look at the history of the DEA (the mongers may not be the focus today), with its long history of faking investigations they call it “parallel construction”, even the FBI has employed this 4th Amendment violating tactic [and both agencies have used it to manufacture evidence of a crime for local PD's to use in court], this practice was hidden from US Courts and was kept from the public and both innocent and guilty defendants.

https://www.techdirt.com/2018/01/22...ment-routinely-engages-parallel-construction/

https://www.businessinsider.com/dea-agents-cover-up-spying-program-2013-8

Or that they knowingly hire "witnesses" and "informants" to lie in court
https://www.reuters.com/article/usa...for-paying-confidential-sources-idUSL2N1C50VR

A lot of government's illegal unconstitutional spying came to light in 2013 (from the parallel construction program, to EzPass and ALPR monitoring of cars)

Many times the alphabet soup agencies manufacture this evidence isn't even to pursue criminal charges, being innocent doesn't matter under the "civil asset forfeiture law" when they want your money and do they steal, famous organized crime syndicates and families wish they could do 5% of what our government does.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...in-cash-from-people-not-charged-with-a-crime/

https://www.aier.org/article/innocence-doesnt-matter-when-the-government-wants-to-steal-your-money/

Google abusive civil asset forfeiture law; just to see all the ways cops make 'traffic stop' and steal, so long as they do it for the police department bank accounts and not their personal bank accounts 'directly' [they get a cut indirectly with bonuses and wage increases, later].

Also see my other posts for far more detailed information about these programs.

As New York state chief judge, Sol Wachtler, famously remarked that a prosecutor could persuade a grand jury to “indict a ham sandwich.”
I stand by my previous statement. I’m not trying to play spy. Just trying to get some gooooood pussy.

WADR, even though they were not involved (other than have a call history tracked to their phones) some of the guys outed in the news during the Gilgo Beach murders might disagree with you.
I would dare say this has leSS to do with the cell phone than being stupid enough to bring a paid companion to YOUR HOME.

I would dare say this has leSS to do with the cell phone than being stupid enough to bring a paid companion to YOUR HOME.
However, they did find his HOME from the call history on her cell. What would be the difference if he arranged a meet at the Oak Beach parking lot or at his nearby house. In either case they would trace the phone to him, and if he owned his home, to his home.
Detectives went to his HOME to talk to him and the guys NAME was in ND even though apparently he had nothing to do with murdering the girl — all he wanted to do was to f**k her for pay.

However, they did find his HOME from the call history on her cell. What would be the difference if he arranged a meet at the Oak Beach parking lot or at his nearby house. In either case they would trace the phone to him, and if he owned his home, to his home.
Detectives went to his HOME to talk to him and the guys NAME was in ND even though apparently he had nothing to do with murdering the girl — all he wanted to do was to f**k her for pay.
Not going to rehash GB again . Needless to say if the circumstances warrant it there are so many ways to find you. I only do one crime at a time so I’m good