Burner Phones

With @JimmyJam77 having posted this the other day, @ https://utopiaguide.pl/forums/index.php?threads/burner-phone-or-prepaid-etc.59100/ where he was looking for this thread @ https://utopiaguide.pl/forums/index.php?threads/burner-phones.51031 ....

I read through my previous comments to see if anything needs to be updated or is out of date/incorrect. Instead I found 2 posts I had replied to that instead caught my eye that I was curious how my "information" has worked out for you @OSMonger and @genius

Thank you! I’ve set it up and should hopefully have some new reviews shortly!
@Monty_monty
Outstanding treatment of the subject.

I completely forgot about the possibility of matching up the burner with the personal phone being in proximity. This probably would not be done with minor crimes but would be done with the very crimes that I bought the burner for, e.g., something very serious happens to the provider and LE needs to track down every lead

Looks like I will need to replace my current burner with a new one that I will use only when my personal phone is in as you put it, a Faraday bag (one comes with your E-Z pass or you can use a metal box or aluminum foil in a pinch)

Why you need a burner.

In today's Newsday some quotes:
Through the information stored in the phone, police and Drug Enforcement Agency agents traected her contacts, activities and text messages to drug dealers and men who bought sex from her..."

billyS

Reign of Terror
Why you need a burner.

In today's Newsday some quotes:
Through the information stored in the phone, police and Drug Enforcement Agency agents traected her contacts, activities and text messages to drug dealers and men who bought sex from her..."
I glanced at the front page but didn't read it yet, is that the article about the girl who OD'd and they have like 12 arrested?

Reasons not to see drug attics
Also within the story,
"... had only worked on and off as an informant because law enforcement rules bar people who are actively using drugs from being informants."
And this - so apparently undercover cops, don't know what "trade" meant; until they had to read all the other text threads to learn this point in context.....

A doctor a month after ......'s death, her phone received a text out of the blue: “Tonight, trade.” The agents had no idea who it was. They rushed to track down to whom the phone number belonged. When they realized they were dealing with an elected official, Suffolk Legis. William “Doc” Spencer, they were stunned. They immediately alerted the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Public Corruption Unit, which declined to comment for this story.

Looking through past texts, agents understood what Spencer wanted.
Through a search warrant, they got Spencer’s phone. Detectives discovered that he had patronized more than 150 prostitutes
So much for the SC DA's Public Corruption Unit as the corruption continued... they slow walked the indictments so that "Doc" could earn enough time on the Legislature to get lifetime taxpayer health and pension benefits. As the late George Carlin would say "It's a BIG club and you ain't in it!"

More than a year elapsed from Spencer’s arrest to the unsealing of the indictment against him. Because Spencer did not resign from the county legislature, the delay enabled him to accrue the 10 years he needed in the system to qualify for a pension and lifetime health benefits

I went back and forth on the need for a burner phone and finally decided just to get one for piece of mind. Prior to that I was using Google Voice on my phone, and then realized that that was too easily attached to everything. Of course I believe and know that if you are really up to something horrible the government can see all messages easily. But what I'm trying to avoid is mixing work with hobby, and getting wrapped up unintentionally with texting someone who gets in trouble and therefore my identity is easily found. So I followed instructions on reddit and:

- went to target, bought prepaid phone and card to fund it using cash
- turned on wifi on public phone to active the phone and then never turned it on again
- turned off location services all the time
- didn't create a google account to download apps, side loaded apps

Its not perfect, but it does feel more sensible!

billyS

Reign of Terror
I went back and forth on the need for a burner phone and finally decided just to get one for piece of mind. Prior to that I was using Google Voice on my phone, and then realized that that was too easily attached to everything. Of course I believe and know that if you are really up to something horrible the government can see all messages easily. But what I'm trying to avoid is mixing work with hobby, and getting wrapped up unintentionally with texting someone who gets in trouble and therefore my identity is easily found. So I followed instructions on reddit and:

- went to target, bought prepaid phone and card to fund it using cash
- turned on wifi on public phone to active the phone and then never turned it on again
- turned off location services all the time
- didn't create a google account to download apps, side loaded apps

Its not perfect, but it does feel more sensible!
I don't get step 2

A bit of deciphering and I came up with "Turned on the wifi in the public to activate the phone and then never turned it on again".
All phones will keep a history of Wifi networks, and nearby bluetooth in their audit/logs files whether you connect or not- never turning on either (after the initial set-up/configuration) will prevent this "list of names of Wifi/Bluetooth" nearby radios - leaving only the Cellular network pings and typical government surveillance tracking; only way to defeat is keep the burner in a faraday bag/cage even when off or entirely pull the battery (many phones fake "off" still keeping the cellular radios on for tracking). Only taking the burner phone out of the faraday bag/cage when you are ready to call/text and are willing to let Big Brother know where you are geolocation wise...

additional precaution is to also put your real life cell phone in a faraday bag/cage at least 5 miles away (or 20 minutes before) activating your burner phone otherwise it takes no effort for any surveillance monitoring to match the profile cell tower history as always being together or nearby that the probability that the person using the burner and the known phone are being associated as the same person.

For an Android phone, it means installing an app from somewhere other than the Google Play store. You can download an app elsewhere, usually in the APK format. In the phone's security settings, allow "Unknown Sources" must be selected or the app won't load. It's more complicated for Apple devices, but the same idea.

Amazon will sell the Faraday bags or the signal blocking fabric but then you got to figure out how to get that transaction done.
Not like you can go down to the bodega or bestbuy and buy this stuff.

I use the e-z pass bag since my burner is a small flip phone fits fine.
however you can always make one quick and dirty with some window screen material. Make sure it is aluminum and not fiberglass material. You can cut it to size with scissors. Aluminum foil will work too as would a metal cookie tin.

If you are completely paranoid you may want to keep your E-Z pass there too (except when going over a toll bridge or toll road of course.

Didn't think of the ez-pass bag had the full block but that is an option. see a few posts about tracking ez-pass data too so I can see that being used if something major is involved- ie co-relate ez pass driving data with the cell phone data and you can put someone at a time and place

Faraday bags aren't just too block big brother spying/surveillance.... they're practical also for keeping your "new" keyless cars from being stolen as well, or your wallet RFID/contactless credit card.

thieves have found a way around security measure and have started using devices called code grabbers to perform what is called a SERA (or ‘Signal Extender Relay Attack’).

It also protects electronics from being damaged by radio frequency interference (RFI) or from an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) by not allowing radio frequency or electromagnetic pulse waves to pass through the material.

In a nutshell, they block all radio signals ranging from Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to RFID (used by credit cards and car keys) and GPS. Especially since most electronics devices still broadcast even when powered "off", which they only pretend to be unless you're able to pull the physical battery.

In an era when the largest majority of phones, tablets, GPS gadgets, smart watches, and remote controls come with unremovable batteries, being able to have a physical “off” switch is a blessing.
And having a Faraday bag to completely block all signals is precisely this shutdown button.