Best Sandwiches in NYC

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Because I was too busy going to Mrs. Stahl's. Yonah had nothing on her. She was the DiFara's of knishes.
MEANINGLESS NAME-DROP:

I once sat at the next table from her family at the National.

(I'd get thrown out of Milk & Honey for saying that there.)

Ozzy said:
There's also a difference in the pastrami other than the hand cutting. I think Katz's is more fatty and moist than the rest. Remember I had Sarges hand cut a sandwich for my dad when he was in the hospital that time and he opened it, pinched a piece of pastrami and said "it ain't Katz"....
I like mine lean, and I am amazed at the length they go to to make it lean for me when that dollar bill crosses the top of the counter. Trimmed away the top and lower third of the brisket and hand sliced me two sandwiches from the center, almost no fat. Yum.

leighoswald3 said:
were still talking about sandwiches.....nobodies mentioned those prosciutto and fresh mozarella sandwiches in hoboken. I forget the places names, i know them by instinct. again its all about the bread and hoboken has the best bread in the world

Couple of places. Best is Fiora's, 4th and Adams.

Ozzy said:
With this jewish deli talk there is one place no longer around that needs be mentioned.... at least because of their cheese blintzes......

Ratners.

Although to be honest they weren't any good either their last 20 or so years.
Ratner's Menu should have been titled,"100 Things other than meat that will kill you."

I know this is a sanwhich thread - but the potato soup from Ratner's ona winter's day was a beautiful thing.

In re crepes - goto Little Poland on 2nd and 12th - also try the potato lamb soup.

Thorn said:
I like mine lean, and I am amazed at the length they go to to make it lean for me when that dollar bill crosses the top of the counter. Trimmed away the top and lower third of the brisket and hand sliced me two sandwiches from the center, almost no fat. Yum.
Some fat gives flavor.

True connoisseurs prefer a little fat on meat, esp. pastrami and bacon (try the bacon at Peter Luger's for a special treat). Asking for pastrami cut 'lean' is akin to going to a top-tier steakhouse and asking for a steak well done. Dry and flavorless.

Thorn said:
I like mine lean, and I am amazed at the length they go to to make it lean for me when that dollar bill crosses the top of the counter.
A couple of years ago, I was going to have my fav counter man make my pastrami sand. The guy ahead of me handed my guy $3. The counter guy said "hard salami" and the cust said yes. Then my guy cuts a huge chunk of salami and stuffs it in the bag. Then he not only made a great pastrami sandwich but cut about 1/2 lb. extra and wrapped it next to the sandwich. What a bargain. I whipped out my $3 and said "I'll have the same". I felt like I hit the lottery.

neilz said:
A couple of years ago, I was going to have my fav counter man make my pastrami sand. The guy ahead of me handed my guy $3. The counter guy said "hard salami" and the cust said yes. Then my guy cuts a huge chunk of salami and stuffs it in the bag. Then he not only made a great pastrami sandwich but cut about 1/2 lb. extra and wrapped it next to the sandwich. What a bargain. I whipped out my $3 and said "I'll have the same". I felt like I hit the lottery.
I did the same thing with a stripper and I got 1/2 lb. harder during the lapdance.

Mama's on 104 st & 46 av in corona.....

Italian roast beef (or chicken cutlet) with broccoli-robe sauteed in garlic and oil on semolina bread.

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
Mama's on 104 st & 46 av in corona.....

Italian roast beef (or chicken cutlet) with broccoli-robe sauteed in garlic and oil on semolina bread.
Is that a once a week special or is that available daily?

Today for lunch, I had proscuitto, sopressata, genoa salami, provelone, roasted red peppers, oil and vinegar on a semolina hero from Mike's Deli off Arthur Ave.

I pretty sure I heard one of my arteries choke.

Thats what I get there. Their sauteed broccoli-robe is fucking perfect... and they'll cook it fresh. I'll get it on anything they make including just that on semolina, but they have great chicken cutlets and their own Italian seasoned roast beef. All their hot dishes are good too but the pizza place across the street is even better with the hot plates.

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
Thats what I get there. Their sauteed broccoli-robe is fucking perfect...
I'm trying to decide whether "broccoli-robe" was a typo for broccoli rabe, or code for something like big balls. As in: "Hey, Baby, let me undo my robe and show you my broccoli."

justlooking said:
Ozzy, isn't it like painful for you to be writing this stuff down there?
Not when you're trying to lose weight its not. And it gives me something to look forward to on those NY visits.

But I've found some decent restaurants, deli's, a good Chinese market (though I have to drive 20 miles up to West Palm for it)... It's not a bad trade off considering this is like the strip club capital of the world and a giant stripper retirement community. Who ever is too old to get on a stage shaking her tits can be seen jogging around town near the 55 and over community... they aren't looking so bad. I've got that BMM mentality and started sizing up 40+ year olds to see if I'd consider fucking them. Quite a few would give Goldie Hawn or Kim Bassinger a run for their money. Still waiting to run into Shauna at the Publics though.

btw... Anyone visiting So Fla and wants to meet a mid 30's - mid 40's stripper/milf type... just shop at any Publics.