Best Sandwiches in NYC

From "On the Town"

HILDEY THE CABDRIVER (as they're trying to escape the police): I know a place on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge where they'll never find us.

ONE OF THE SAILORS: Where is that?

HILDEY: Brooklyn!

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
Bens is not what is was 20-30 years ago. The one in Carle Place completely blows and the old one in Rego Park is still ok, but has been living off it's name at least a decade. Bens now is just an over priced name brand. From what I'm told they are also owned or operated by different people which is why they may vary depending on location. Last time I was at the Bens in Rego (jan 06) their brisket was dry (too dry) and they now use the worst rye bread... it's almost like white and shaped like a rye.
I was actually talking about the one in Manhattan, in the Garment District (I think it's 37th between Eighth and Nineth). Never been to the ones on LI or in Queens.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
If I remember correctly 2nd Ave Deli was at one time Kosher, but later decided to drop it in favor of being open on Saturday. Carnegie, Sarge's, Stage and most of the "Jewish Style" Deli's will serve milchik with fleishich.

When I was around 17 I walked into the deli where I lived with my first shiksa GF. She ordered a corned beef with swiss cheese...... and they gave me a dirty look.

A Stripper Friend of mine once told me that she had expanded her horizons by going to the Second Avenue Deli. She said she thought it would be too obvious to order a sandwich, so she decided to show her sophistication by ordering cheese blintzes. "That place is way overrated," she said. "The cheese tasted terrible."

Last edited:
slinkybender said:
When I was around 17 I walked into the deli where I lived with my first shiksa GF. She ordered a corned beef with swiss cheese...... and they gave me a dirty look.

Would that have been Surrey on Union Tpk?

With this jewish deli talk there is one place no longer around that needs be mentioned.... at least because of their cheese blintzes......

Ratners.

Although to be honest they weren't any good either their last 20 or so years.

Ozzy said:
With this jewish deli talk there is one place no longer around that needs be mentioned.... at least because of their cheese blintzes......

Ratners.

Although to be honest they weren't any good either their last 20 or so years.
True. Ratner's declined.

I haven't been to Yonah Shnimmel's House of Knishes since I was a kid, so I won't comment.

For good blintzes and knishes nowadays, you have to go to Brighton Beach.

Last edited:
I don't get it. You go to Katz's. You go to bOb Bar. But you don't ever go to Yonah Schimmel's?

I've only eaten there as an adult, so I can't comment on any decline. I never thought the knishes were that transcendent or anything. So that either means that there's only so good that a knish could be, or that it declined.

Last edited:
I don't know what their hours are, but I've passed by there nights when there were club kids stretched down the block on a line from the store.

That was a while ago, though, at the dawn of the New Lower East Side. Maybe they since decided not to bother.