Best Sandwiches in NYC

Pastrami on rye... Katz

Cuban... Some Spanish dump on Jerome ave west side of street bet 183st and Fordham.

Roast Beef hero... Ragtime Deli Howard Beach.

Godfather (chicken cutlet, prosciutto, parm cheese and peppers)... Bosworths (or is it Boswells?) Oceanside LI.

Agree; Katz's, best pastrami on rye. One of the few places that does live up to the hype. God bless Abe, but don't talk to me about the Second Ave Deli. Not even in the same league.

Cubano: Union City Cafeteria in Union City, NJ. Ok, ok, not in NYC, but close. In NYC, I recommend El Margon on W. 46th st. (last vestiges of the old Times Square along with Jimmy's Corner) and Esquina Criolla on Junction Blvd. (one block south of Roosevelt) in Corona (used to be an old Cuban neighborhood). I've heard Latin American Cafeteria (right on Junction and Roosevelt) compares, but I've never been.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Agree; Katz's, best pastrami on rye. One of the few places that does live up to the hype. God bless Abe, but don't talk to me about the Second Ave Deli. Not even in the same league.

Cubano: Union City Cafeteria in Union City, NJ. Ok, ok, not in NYC, but close. In NYC, I recommend El Margon on W. 46th st. (last vestiges of the old Times Square along with Jimmy's Corner) and Esquina Criolla on Junction Blvd. (one block south of Roosevelt) in Corona (used to be an old Cuban neighborhood). I've heard Latin American Cafeteria (right on Junction and Roosevelt) compares, but I've never been.

You can pick just about any of those places along Roosevelt for a traditional latin type sandwich.

There's two places in the city I went to with Bender... One on I think 23st or 14th st off 7th ave that serves jerk chicken and pork. I've only had a regular meal, but a sandwich in there must be pretty fuckin good.

The other was a BBQ joint on the UES, it's fairly well known I just can't remember the name. Excellent bbq'd pulled pork.

I'm thinking you must be talking about Sulcet on 14th just west of 7th (south side of the street, right by the subway entrance). Except I don't recall their serving jerk chicken. Their cubano and media noche sandwiches are fabulous.

justlooking said:
I'm thinking you must be talking about Sulcet on 14th just west of 7th (south side of the street, right by the subway entrance). Except I don't recall their serving jerk chicken. Their cubano and media noche sandwiches are fabulous.

Where HAVEN'T you eaten?

Ozzy said:
The other was a BBQ joint on the UES, it's fairly well known I just can't remember the name. Excellent bbq'd pulled pork.
Jimmy's?

Hey Ozzy...the "godfather" sandwich you mentioned. Is it that particular place that calls that type of sandwich a godfather or is it known that way among a bunch of delis? Two delis I frequent in NNJ make a godfather sandwich with the spiciest of cold cuts but no chicken or anything like you described.

Really thats just what they call it. But I've seen so many variations of a "godfather" sandwich... (most of them invloving an assortment of cold cuts). I guess there is no standard. It's not like a ham and swiss.

Ozzy said:
You can pick just about any of those places along Roosevelt for a traditional latin type sandwich.
Maybe so; but the quality varies greatly.

One of the best sandwiches in NYC is the Chilean pork sandwich at the J&T Pizzeria on Roosevelt Ave. around 68th, south side of the street. Get the extra large one. Light, airy, Chilean bread, tender sliced pork that melts in your mouth, avocado, sauces, etc. Delicious. I might have to go get one tonight! The steak sandwich there is also good, but I prefer the pork.

The 'completo' there is good too. The South American hot dog. It's a big hot dog with sour cream, avocado, crushed potato chips and various other things I can't even remember.

I used to live at 222 W. 14 right down the block from the Sulcet and know those ladies well. That's a good sandwich but it doesn't compare to the J&T or Union City (they use the traditional Cuban bread).

Well it was definitely in the Chelsea area, on the south side of a two way street (which would make it either 14th or 23rd), just east of 7th and near a subway if I'm not mistaken. Bender definitely knows, he'd been there before.

I could be confusing things, maybe even mistaken, but I think it was near Aria spa... like a block east on the same street.

There's a West Indian place on 16th st., but that's not a two way street.

If that's not it, it might be on 23rd, because I can't think of anything like that on 14th east of 7th ave. on the south side.

It's definitely a Jamacian style place, it's been packed every time I went by there and usually has people standing out front waiting to get in.

Negril sounds very familiar but I couldn't be certain.