Best Sandwiches in NYC

You must have been pretty damn hungry to drop a Jackson for what was no doubt a mediocre-to-downright-awful turkey club. You couldn't hold out till after Maria's third set then head over to Donovan's for a burger?

I hardly ever agree with Ed Levine. A lot of the time, it seems he hasn't even been to the places he's writing about.

I generally agree that when it comes to meatballs, the County of Kings reings supreme. The meatball hero at Espositio's Pork Store on Court Street is my favorite in the 5 boroughs.

I've never had a meatball hero at Frankie's, but it's bad for everything else (they don't even use fresh mozzarella), so I'm dubious.

I go to Caputo's all the time and didn't even know they had a meatball hero on the menu. I don't think they do. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Fiore's in Hoboken has the best mozz. It make's almost any sandwich amazing. The roast beef and gravy special on thursday and saturday are the best. You may encounter a long line but it'll be worth it. I am also fond of their corned beef special on tuesdays.

It's at 4th and Adams.

Joey D's deli on College Pt Blvd. just north of LIE...best sandwiches hands down, I've never been disappointed hot or cold, and every sandwich is unique...we have the daily specials menu faxed to our office every day..btw, they deliver.
FrankM- Did you know that Joey is no longer the owner? He sold it about 3 months ago after his mom who was the cook became ill. She made some great cookies and hot dishes and used to work the register.

I statred going there based on your review back in August and went there steady up till December. I stopped going for a while and went back and things werent the same. Now I know why. Frank did you hear anything.
Joey is driving trucks again. What a shame. One of the nicest most sincere genuine guys I ever met.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
I ventured downtown yesterdauy with my daughter. Had some fun at ABC Park then walked a few blocks to Katz'. I've never been there before, but as per Ozzy's and Wooly's suggestions, I hit this joint up.

The pastrami was 13 and change, a very decent sandwich. I never put condiments on my food, but my daughter loves mustard. Since we were sharing, I told My three year old never touches any coldcuts, but she chomped away at the little pastrami slices I gave her. She gave the place a "thumbs up".

Gavy

Last edited: