Best Pizza in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, Bx, Manhattan, SI and Long Island)

morgan2 said:
was that the place where the lady would make the chicken parm fresh and dip the whole thing into the tomato sauce? i saw a show on tv that showed such a place. if it isn't this pork store, does anyone know what place i'm taking about?

That was the place (Corona Heights Pork Store). A few doors down from the Lemon Ice King. I think it closed cause she lost her lease. Didn't some spanish place open up there.

btw... right across the street was the Sabrett distributor. If you ever had Gus's foot long hotdogs out of the blue truck on woodhaven (he's been there 50 years) in front of the cemetery... thats where you could buy them... in 5 lb packages only... (maybe a dozen dogs).

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
And whats with the virginia ham...... If I told Vito at Sapienza to throw that on he'd kick me out of his place. Matter of fact I don't even think they stock virginia ham in most good Italian pork stores.
The salumeria next to the old CHPS (r.i.p.) certainly carries vir ham. Try it, dude. I thought the same 'till I tried it. The prosuitto is good but its taste can overly dominate everything else. I don't give a shit about authenticity, just taste!

Thats why you throw the hot cappy on there. The prosiutto is only on board for the fat. Wouldn't be an 'artery clogger' without it. And arecchio isn't on board for the authenticity either.... it's there to be dry and to deflect the oil into the bread. Regular soft provolone or mozzarella sponge up some of the oil and turns it into something that tastes like mushy ham and american.

The roasted peppers and garlic are the seasoning...

See.... there is a science to it.

Last edited:
There was a brick oven place in either LIC or Astoria which was the best, forgot the name. Last time I was there was in 96.

Place on 14th ave in College Point think it's called Freddys, not bad.

Bay pizza on sheepshead bay road very good.

Spumoni garden, not bad , once a year event .

Rosas, OK.

Last edited:
Ozzy said:
And thats peeled and mashed garlic 'cloves'..... none of that gound up or powdered shit.
You need to go to DiFara's. He peels fresh garlic cloves and cuts basil right off the stem with a scissors right onto your pizza. The oregano he grows right in the store.

hobbyaddict said:
Stopped at Spumoni Garden this weekend on my way to Coney Island. Had the sicilian tray. Unique pizza. Never had anything like it. More sauce than cheese. Ethereal, light crust. The corner slice was especially good. Couldn't leave without trying the rainbow spumoni. Tastes good after pizza.

And I love the atmosphere in that place. The guido-ism on display there is amazing from a sociological perspective. Like something from a movie. Almost like a caricature. There's no grease on the pizza; it's all on the customers.

hobbyaddict said:
There was a brick oven place in either LIC or Astoria which was the best, forgot the name. Last time I was there was in 96.

Place on 14th ave in College Point think it's called Freddys, not bad.

Bay pizza on sheepshead bay road very good.

Rosas, OK.
I think the freddys that you're referring to is in whitestone, on 150th street. Best garlic knots on earth.

Has anyone been to the original Patsy's on First Avenue recently?

Years ago, it was my favorite pie in Manhattan. On Sunday, I went back and found it mediocre, a bit undercooked (I know, should've asked for it well done), and the paper thin slices were soggy.

The place is now renovated with young, pleasant Latin waitresses (which, if you've eaten at the old Patsy's, would seem absolutely absurd).

What gives?

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
<snip>The place is now renovated with young, pleasant Latin waitresses ...What gives?
I have family and several friends in the restaurant industry. They all say the same thing -
These days if you want to own a restaurant...you better learn to speak Spanish, because that's what all your employees will speak.

Sign of the times - in fact, friends in the construction industry say the exact same thing. SO much of the blue collar work force is now Spanish speaking (leagal and otherwise).

BTW - I used to work in that neighborhood and used to hit Patsy's regluarly - it's a shame to hear they've gone downhill.

OK - The PC police have finally gone too far. Now I'm mad.

Noooooo!!!!!!

Slice reader Gabriel S. just *****ed me: "Went by Di Fara looking for a slice today and saw that they were shut by the board of health yesterday. Do you have any details?"

I just called Dom DeMarco proprietor of legendary Brooklyn pizzeria Di Fara. He was at the restaurant, and he confirms that the Department of Health has closed the place "for little things."

"They say I've gotta wear gloves now—and a hat," Mr. DeMarco said. "It's all little things, like everybody else."

Despite the crap news, Dom seemed pretty chipper, taking things in stride. "I'd only wear a hat if I were bald. I'd rather pay the fine than wear the hat."

Mr. DeMarco estimates he'll be open again for business by Tuesday.

"I think it's their way of forcing me to take a little break," he said, jokingly.

Just had a pepperoni and mushroom pie at Lucali's on Henry St. and it was outstanding. Light crispy crust and rich tasty cheese. Puts the East Harlem Patsy's (which has been bad since Jose left) and Grimaldi's to shame.

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Anything new? I was at this place on Parsons near "Elechester" (the coops for electricians in Flushing). I was completely caught off guard how good the pizza was.

That's my contibution to this jam...

definitely difara is Brooklyn though after reading this board, seems like it has been shut down by the board of health. now this place had the best pizza as far as I'm concerned but I can understand the board of health shutting it down since the place was a dump and the last time it was cleaned was probably in the 80's but when you can away with high prices and high demand, keeping the place clean must not be a priority. when and if it does open back up, the hour plus wait is worth the pizza pie, even if you do have to pay a couple of lap dances kind of money for it. I think time out ny rated it the best or one of the best pizza places in the 5 boroughs a few years back.