Best Dive Bar in NYC

...But there is/was no McDonalds on 2nd Avenue...
You're right. I was reacting to RbH, but relooking at m's description of the place that she meant, I don't think that it was Sly Fox/Karpaty. Whatever -- there used to be no shortage of dives in the East Village.

But there is/was no McDonalds on 2nd Avenue....there is one on 3rd next to Continental (used to be Continental Divide), and there is one on First Avenue betw. 6th/7th.
You read my mind there. I was thinking what a dive that place is from looking outside; it looks grungy and suspect. Inside, it looks like any other bar and it's not so bad since there's a functional jukebox and a projector screen for some entertainment. You can't beat the prices there at $2.50 a shot but their bathroom is just like many other bars; very, very disgusting.

I haven't been there in a while but I used to frequent the Coyote Ugly on 10th and 1st pre-movie. Went in there a few times after the movie and hated how it commercialized the place and never went back....in it's heyday, it was a great dive. Anyone go there recently?
I stopped by on three different occasions last summer. The place was mostly empty (maybe 2-3 customers) one fat barmaid, a bunch of dirty bras hanging on the wall, and no girls dancing on the bar or anywhere else for that matter. They turned the juke up loud, trying create the impression that the place had some life left.

But there is/was no McDonalds on 2nd Avenue....there is one on 3rd next to Continental (used to be Continental Divide), and there is one on First Avenue betw. 6th/7th. I have a feeling that Masquerade may be referring to the "International Bar", which unfortunately now is gone, too.[/url]
yep, i think you're right, i am mistaking the place in question for the International Bar. i almost cited that in my last thread as a venue i wish were still around. it was the only place i've been to in the city that served Milwaukee's Best by the can.

Also, thanks to JYRIS for correcting me on the Sly Fox not being Polish...thanks. i almost slapped my forehead when i read that - i KNEW it was called the Ukranian National home! sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned P&G on Amsterdam and 73rd Street (can't search for it because the name is only three letters long)? If you go in there in the afternoons, you'll find a bunch of old drunks sitting at the bar watching and betting on the races. It's pretty divey — good place to watch a ball game while tying one on.

International Bar

yep, i think you're right, i am mistaking the place in question for the International Bar. i almost cited that in my last thread as a venue i wish were still around. it was the only place i've been to in the city that served Milwaukee's Best by the can.
Well, the International Bar has reopened in the same spot. 2 dollar cans of Schaefer! Happy Hour from 12 to 8pm. Some German guy is putting in a German Sausage Place next door, where Casalinga used to be. The only thing preventing him from opening are the various permits and inspections he has to comply with. They share the backyard, so I'm looking forward to Beer and Sausage. I realize that the hardcore old timers will be highly critical of the new bathrooms and the rather young crowd hanging out at night, especially on weekends. But then, that's really the case everywhere in the EV. Daytimes are still better than most places, though. And the Juke Box kicks ass as ever.

http://www.sheckys.com/newyorkcity/search/international_bar_1_1577.asp

Last edited:

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
So, I don't really know if this place is a dive bar, but it definitely once was when it was The Claddaugh in Woodside. I hung out there all through the late 90s. Then it turned to Tres Coronas. For the last 8 years, it's been a Latin place. I would say the first 3 or 4 years, this place was jumping. Hot barmaids, place was packed with a bunch of Spanish guys all trying to bang one of the two waitresses.

Now, it is one of the last remaining non-dollar a dance joint on Roosevelt. ANd there are maybe 6 or 7 clients in there on a Friday or Saturday night. All of them trying to hit on the not-so-hot barmaids. You can kind of blend in with the barstool if you wish. The jukebox is one of those that's hooked up tot he web, so you can hear any music you like...

NY Magazine has a short piece on dive bars in New York:

http://nymag.com/guides/cheap-living/dive-bars/
This article mentions Nancy Whiskey as a dive bar. I disagree. I have been there only one time but I think it is much more of a no frills, basic, take your pretentious ass elsewhere bar if you don't like it here but if you would like to stay your pretentious ass is just as welcomed as the asses of all of these other people who don't think their ass is anything special. Inexpensive - to be sure. I put up a $20 bill and asked for a Ketle One on the rocks. If I recall correctly, I got $15.50 change. When I was asked if I would like another, I asked if perhaps I was given more change than I was entitled to on the first. I was told - no, this is Nancy Whiskey. I then had what I thought was a pretty good burger. Maybe the "dive" classification for any of us is a result of the comparison of a particular place to those that we normally frequent?

How'd we miss this place?!?

Jimmy's Corner, 44th btw Sixth and Broadway. Supposedly owned by a former boxing trainer, Jimmy Glen. Very narrow, long bar with a small room in the back, filled with boxing photos. Surprisingly bright for a dive, but a dive nonetheless. The drink prices are surprisingly low—it's a real drinker's bar. I've always been treated well there, but someone I met recently told me they were not so kind to her. So, like so much of the service in this town, YMMV.