Best Dive Bar in NYC

Old livers don't die; they're pickled and marinated. Pool table, good juke box, beer under $4, an old guy with no teeth. All the makings of a good dive bar.

My past and current favorites:

The old Siberia (when it was in the 42nd st. subway), Night Cafe, Milano's, Rudy's, of course, The Subway Inn, Reif's Tavern....

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
Old livers don't die; they're pickled and marinated. Pool table, good juke box, beer under $4, an old guy with no teeth. All the makings of a good dive bar.

My past and current favorites:

The old Siberia (when it was in the 42nd st. subway), Night Cafe, Milano's, Rudy's, of course, The Subway Inn, Reif's Tavern....
Milano's is one of my favorite bars in NYC. Night Cafe, is that up on 105th and Amsterdam or thereabouts? Is that place still going?

I've never heard of Reif's Tavern, where is it?

M'lady's in Soho at Prince and Thompson is worth dropping by if you're in the neighborhood. It's not really a dive, but it's cheap and has a pool table.

There was a great dive bar under the train station at Coney Island. Beer in a a glass was $.50 or $.75 a glass. You could get Nathans before or after.

Mr. Wet Wooly said:
The one on Surf Ave? If so, it's still there. I like it. Something tells me beer isn't .75 anymore though.
I figured it was not there anymore because they built the new station at that location. I will have to look for it.

Rockabilly, punk rock twist. Not all my scene, but they rock. They've been there for years on Sundays.

Wasn't keen on the couple of bands I've heard on other nights.

Check it out.

Last edited:
The Eagles Nest in Middle Village. Such a dive that they don't serve hard liquor and only have one beer on tap. They do have about six taps though.

Gavvy Cravath

Moderator Emeritus
Old favorite: Carolin's on 43 Avenue, just before you hit Roosevelt. This was in Woodside and closed about 7 years ago. It's a sushi joint now. $2 bottles and a pool table. My friend hooked up with the most amazing woman I ever met one night. She was in her mid 20's, a killer body, some sort of Latina with long black hair and killer lips. What the hell was she doing in this place that catered to 6 regulars at night (I gather this was an old man's bar during the day) and all of the regulars were over the age of 50 except my boy.

Anyway, now I haven't hung at a good dive in a while, but Michael's on Roosevelt and 52nd is a decent night for good bang for your buck. THe jukebox is "OK", yet you have to sift through that G*d awful Irish music...

Gavy

Station Cafe on 61st. in Woodside was my favorite dive in Queens, but I haven't been in ages. You have to see it to believe it.

Best Latin dive bar is on 106th between Third and Lex. Unmarked black door up a few steps. Lively crowd.

Last edited: