Best Burger (Tristate Area)

Broiled vertically?
After thinking about it, a hamburger restaurant that serves it's hamburgers on toast, won't allow it's customers to put the condiments of their choice on their burgers (haven't they heard of "have it your way" or "The customer is always right"?) The only thing special about this place is that they served the first hamburger in America, big deal. I prefer to visit museums, not eat in them. These jerks deserve to go out of business.

Some of my favorites:

Burger Joint (Hotel Parker Meridian), Corner Bistro, Donovan's (Woodside), Piper's Kilt (North Bronx), Peter Luger's (lunch menu only), Smith & Wet Wooly, the place on 8th and B'way -- the Astor Place Soup and Burger or something like that.

When you're stoned, nothing beats White Castle; when you're sober, White Castle is just God awful. I strongly believe the chemicals they put in the burgers are made to satisfy whatever craving the THC hallucinogen creates in your brain. Hey, they made a movie about it, which was a 2 hour commercial for WC while getting stoned.
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle. Funny movie.

They're big and juicy but damn, they're kind of bland. I just can't understand how that's possibe. I've been eating Shake Shack several times these past two weeks to enjoy the warm weather. Small but flavorful patties.
I've seen how they make their burgers. They place a large metal cover over the entire burger while it's on the grille, lifting it only when they have to flip the burger. Their burgers are steamed as much, if not more then they are grilled. They cook faster and are juicer but end up tasting blander.

The best burger on LI is at Waterzooi in Garden City. It's a thick burger on a great roll which doesn't need the fixin's but they come. The one thing this burger offers other don't are the incredible Waterzooi Belgian Frites ( They were invented in Belgium not France) and the great Belgian Bier selection.

FYI You can only get it at the bar area.

I go to Waterzooi often. Always have their signature mussels, never thought of ordering a burger there. Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. I don't eat mussels so I have to try other things. It's only at the bar. Maybe you can request in the main dining room. I may have to try it Saturday. May just have to drink the biers and have waffles.

Last edited:
I've seen how they make their burgers. They place a large metal cover over the entire burger while it's on the grille, lifting it only when they have to flip the burger. Their burgers are steamed as much, if not more then they are grilled. They cook faster and are juicer but end up tasting blander.
same way they cook Big Macs.

Thanks for the info. I just couldn't understand how they could be so big and juicy and yet be so bland.

By far the best burger is at Peter Luger's, but only available at lunch. The same meat as their steaks (you can taste the aged beef), but the problem is that if you are there, you want to order the steak. It even comes with amazing french fries.

The Shake Shack is pretty good too (notwithstanding how they cook the meat), and the atmosphere and additional available items (shakes!) make it a great experience. If you're around 57th Street, try the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel.

By far the best burger is at Peter Luger's, but only available at lunch. The same meat as their steaks (you can taste the aged beef), but the problem is that if you are there, you want to order the steak. It even comes with amazing french fries.

The Shake Shack is pretty good too (notwithstanding how they cook the meat), and the atmosphere and additional available items (shakes!) make it a great experience. If you're around 57th Street, try the Burger Joint in the Parker Meridian Hotel.
Luger's hamburgers are superior, but at $30 per, they would have to be.