Best Burger (Tristate Area)

I have to admit that the best burger is one I made myself as per a recipe in NY Magazine.
Use 80% chopped meat. Make into patties, don't press too hard.
Brush melted butter on both sides and sprinkle salt and pepper over the butter.
Put in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to set.
Throw them on the grill and turn only once so they are cooked once on each side. Do not press the burgers on the grill. If you do they will lose all of the juice. Cook to medium and eat right away.

Can't remember the name, but the place is on b-way... west side of the street just off (south of?) 8th street.

Smith & Wollensky I don't like their steaks, but the burgers are hard to beat.

Last edited:
All American in Massapequa, LI.

My sister drove up to see us 2 weeks ago and brought a bunch up with her. Anytime of the year, there's a line outside the joint.

There's also a burger joint inside a hotel on W 57th street that is great.

robnotbob said:
All American in Massapequa, LI.

My sister drove up to see us 2 weeks ago and brought a bunch up with her. Anytime of the year, there's a line outside the joint.

There's also a burger joint inside a hotel on W 57th street that is great.
There was a big article in ND on this place a week or 2 ago. There were rumors being floated that the place was closing down. People from all over the country were calling, writing, visiting thinking it was the end of an era. Alas, it was just that...a rumor.
The burgers are ok, the place is a throw back to the fifties drive up places.

If you're asking about burger places, not steak houses that serve great burgers.....Jackson Hole comes to mind. Also, the chain Soup Burg in the city used to serve up mean burgers....haven't eaten there for years so not sure current status.

Smith & Wollensky charges about $25 for a buger... any more than that and you and the chef should be shot for being stupid and pretentious.

Some of my favorites:

Burger Joint (Hotel Parker Meridian), Corner Bistro, Donovan's (Woodside), Piper's Kilt (North Bronx), Peter Luger's (lunch menu only), Smith & Wet Wooly, the place on 8th and B'way -- the Astor Place Soup and Burger or something like that.

When you're stoned, nothing beats White Castle; when you're sober, White Castle is just God awful. I strongly believe the chemicals they put in the burgers are made to satisfy whatever craving the THC hallucinogen creates in your brain. Hey, they made a movie about it, which was a 2 hour commercial for WC while getting stoned.

jjhunsecker said:
Or does he mean Silver Spurs , on 9th and Bway ?
No; it's the Soup and Burger Astor Place DIner, something like that. The name is kind of obscured. It's famous NYU hangout, 24 hour. Great burgers, HUGE. Best diner burger around.

Anyone remember Prexy's? It was right next to the Old NY Coliseum. Great burgers, and all the fixins right in front of you. Fresh pickles,onions,relish's, in small containers the counter. MMMmmmm I can smell them cooking right about now.

Last edited: