Being Stood Up Really Sucks

JohnJ

Repentant Sinner
It's a dead horse, it wont run, but lets kick it anyway.....

I was unaware of any pre-existing problems nor has anyone including yourself ever mentioned what name to use. I asked the APM if he could edit it out and I believe he has done so.

As far as the rest, I've said what I thought happened and I don't see the need to further flog, cane, whip, shellac, nor kick this dead horse.

John J

Originally posted by slinkybender

Now, that is not meant ot totally absolve the person who made the unreliable promise. It's just that sometimes you have to have reasonble expectations, and when someone makes a promise that you know it is unlikely they will keep, you have to temper your expectations and not be quite so dissapointed when the event which you knew or should have known was going to occur ( i.e. the disappointment ).
Slinky you've finally let me down by this reponse. Maybe I had too high expectations of you?
Business is business. "She" said things to reaffirm the meeting for later on into the night and granted things may have gotten out of hand on her side and she was not able to eventually make it, BUT I will say it again,,,,,, Don't pull the guy's chain if you had no intention of meeting him,,,,
Was this a one time event for "her"? You tell me as I don't know her or her history. All I know is John's story (verifyable by other attendees) and I also know there has been no attempted public reply by "her".

To not acknowledge or even reply to John even in email (I assume no email was sent to John since he did not state any was sent) is adding insult to injury. And at this late date, too little too late.

Peace Out
C

P.S. Read John's latest post after I submitted this. I at least want to kick Slinky (figuratively speaking of course)

[Edited by Casper on 08-20-2001 at 10:43 PM]

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Casper,

Just to be clear, I wasn't ( as I said ) talking about the specifics of this situation, since I wasn't there fo all the events. My point was not to exonerate anyone for anything. And anyone who has followed my posts for any length of time will know that I constantly rail at the lack of business-like behaviour all throughout the industry. So, I'm not looking to make excuses for anyone who doesn't exhibit the proper degree of professionalism.

That said, as always, I like to look at both sides and poke holes into everyone's "righteousness". As someone who has owned his own businesses for over 20 years, I can hardly imagine how many silly promises I have been made. In fact, just in the past few days, I was sent an offer which I knew couldn't be correct. Now, I could have assumed that the broker involved knew what he was doing, and that I had been made "promises", but that wouldn't have ended me up with what I wanted. So, what did i do ? I made certain assumptions about what the likelihood was of what eh actual term of a deal might be, and moved along knowing that at least a number of the terms I had been "promised" would evaporate. Of course, the deal is far from being "done", and already two of the terms have changed. Now, I could jump up and down, scream bloody murder, and crater the deal. But that wouldn't end me up with much, would it ????

Does this make the broker invovled anything but an idiot and bad businessperson ? Of course not. But if I took what he had to say on face value, when i should have known better, well, then, to some extent I'd be an idiot, too.

I see guys getting into situations every single day in this hobby, because of various permutations of the "sin" of not thinking about "reality". There is sooooooooooooooooooooo much hearing hoofbeats and thinking "Zebras!!!". And the funny thing is, everyone sees it when it's "the other guy" ( Did you see that post by Arnold Ziffel ? Who is he kidding ? What king of moron is he ? I can't believe he thinks that .......etc.,etc.,etc. ).

Now, this is way too much of an "all encompassing" topic to flush out in this little thread/post, but I'll close with something I said to a disgruntled customer about 15 years ago, when they called me to complain about one of my salespeople: In the history of the world, I doubt that there have been too many, if any, arguments where one side was 100% right, and the other side was 100% wrong. Things just don't work that way. And when you start thinking that you are 100% right about something, that's when you have to watch out for the possibility that there may be more to the situation than you are looking at.

I just hate to see guys getting "hurt" because they walk into some of these encounters without thinking, because getting stood up is hardly the worst thing which can happen in our little euphamisitacally named "hobby". There's plenty of folks who are out there "playing for keeps", and you'd better keep your head up, your ears open, and your wits about you. It's just plain dangerous not to read the road signs before you go around that curve. You can complain all you want about that bridge being out when you find yourself in the river, and you can point to everything "they" should have done to better warn you about that bridge. And you would be right. Dead right.

Man, do I know the feeling! I'm a little too nice sometimes, 'cuz the same person did it to me 3 times in a row! The first time he had the decentcey(sp?) to call & tell me he had an emergency to deal with at the job, but promised to meet me the next day. Guess what? Yeah, no show, no phone call, nothing. So then about 2 weeks after that he calls & wants to make up for his bad manners & meet me at a very nice lingerie store & get me a gift (because the next day was my birthday too) & then we would go do our thing. Well, I waited by the store for about 30 minutes in in 96 degree, humid heat & no show, no phone call, nada. I tried to call him several times with no response. It makes me feel like the asshole & it should'nt because I just try to treat people the way I would want to be treated, but there are too many game-players. Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel. It does suck, but all of us arn't like that. Later,Ruby

SB thanks for your reply to me. I will let it stand on it's own without rebuttal. Maybe we can honor John's request and put this thread to rest ?

Peace Out
C

clean up hitter

SB

But let me alter "your scenario" a bit. You are at a conference with a dozen extremely important clients.

<been there done that>

You are with the one who provides 50% of the revenue for your entire company.

< that being me>

Another of your clients comes up to you and says "You know, I have something I need to talk to you about. Can we have a drink later and discuss my order ?". You're a little drunk, and it doesn't sound too unreasonble, so you say "Sure, why not ?".

<I am perhaps the most dissipate guy on the planet -- no shot this happens in my world. I am obligated to separate being shitfaced from my biz. you disagree SB???>

Well, that number one client ties you up for the rest of the night, with some things which he also thinks is very important. He absolutley will not let you go, and you end up talking to him about his order untill the sun comes up. Now, you stood up that other customer, didn't you ?

<I get drunk with the best of em -- and the best dont use that to excuse conduct. holy man? Nope. mistakes? yup. my point: b2s made herself a disaster zone, and needed to plead and atone -- I have to. in lieu, she disappeared.>

HN

dont you ever get bored with being the friggin voice of reason? nuthin I can disagree with here.

B2S

my bs meter needle just snapped off. first youre invisible then you come out on the attack. your move was to either publicly apologize or stay silent. sorry if *your* day was upset, but imagine how I feel. I actually felt bad when you were getting abused on TBDNY.

all

just my experience ... almost always, someone is *totally* right and the other is *totally* wrong. but separate form that, here there seems to be consensus between the two participants. put popularity aside and the story is crystalline ... or did I miss something?

no axe grinding, but them are the facts

Think again.....

You all amaze me with your extra time on your hands (smile)
I imagine you will all keep going !!!
I tell you a bad thread can read forever. YEA to the moderator, Slinky !!!!!!!