Bad Beat Stories.

I play mostly Ring games, and Tournaments, almost exclusively on-line, and I will go in early with almost ANYTHING, just to see how the table is... be a little aggressive, steal a few blinds, before a flop, if there are no raises, and even if there is a raise, but not too big, ANYTHING is possible. How many bad beat stories involve the Big or Small Blind??? I bet at least 75% of them, the Blinds are the most Dangerous with a 2s 6h 10c flop...or something similar to that, I have seen MANY KK or AA beaten by 2 pair, say 8's and 3's , by one of the Blinds...

See??????

One of the things which drives me NUTS is going all in with a small pair and some idiot call with A4off, and then the board hits 2 pair.

See??????

One of the things which drives me NUTS is going all in with a small pair and some idiot call with A4off, and then the board hits 2 pair.
I am talking about after the flop, not before, if I am BB and have say, A3 off or 33 or 22 and someone goes all in before the flop, I will probably fold, unless it is a small stack and he only doubled my BB or so... I played last night, and I folded a few small pairs after either calling or raising, when a big stack went all in, it depends how the guy going all in is playing... Before a flop, if someone CALLS all in with say 83 off, and hits 2 pair, that just SUCKS!!! but AFTER the flop, if the raise wasn't too big, and the blinds are still in....well the best advice I EVER got was " Beware the Blinds "... Ya never know... I love watching the Tilts after their KK or JJ gets beat by 2 pair or a straight... LOL...

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
mm,

I think his point was that WC asked why anyone would even see a flop w/T5off, and the "See?" was that while you didn't say you would call the BB with t5off, you did indicate that early on you will limp with "somewhat unplayable" hands to see what you can hit on the flop, just to see if you can hit 2 pair and crush someone with top (or higher) pair.

There is a problem with that strategy, though: if someone limped in with a small pp and hit trips when you hit 2 pair, you're dead and probably won't be able to let the hand go. I remember on time I was BB with something like 54off. The flop comes 544. Of course he limped with pocket 5's. What do you think the result was?

You are def right, but the odds of the BB or SB hitting trips is very low, and If there is a draw out there, flush or straight, I am playing nice and tight... Also, if the flop is say, 5s 8d Kc, and I hit the 8, and he bets on the Big side, I probably will just through it away... I see your point though,and it has happened....

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
Lost a chunk last night at a cash game- first time in a about a year that Ive lost a huge pot with a set over set scenario. It still smarts 16 hours later.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Set over set doesn't bother me. I am resigned to the fact that, when it happens in a cash game, either I will double up, or I will go broke. It's not very common, but it's common enough.

The one's that still hurt me the next day are the runner-runner ones for ridiculous beats.

This hand happened to me last week.

I had 78 of clubs and the flop was 4c 5c 6h

I flopped the nut straight with a straight flush draw. Got 2 people all in. One with A 8 for top pair. and one with JJ. Unfortunately, one of those Jacks was the Jack of clubs, and the turn and river were both clubs giving him a higher flush than me.

If I remember correctly, he was less than 5% on the flop to win that hand.

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
Sorry. right. It was A6. A6 was short stack with 150. JJ had about 1000 and I had about 800. Preflop action was as follows.

2-5 NL. After limpers, JJ from SB made it 30, 3 callers. $120 in the pot. (I was the button)

On flop, JJ bets 100. A6 pushes for 150. other player calls. I reraise to 300. JJ pushes and other player folds.

Worked out exactly as I wanted, except the 4.65 percent coming in. :)

On the flop, JJ bets 100. A 6 pushes for about 50 more. One more caller, and then I reraise to 350.

actually sounds like everyone sort of played correctly.

those are the bad beats i don't mind as much, even if they are low %. The one's i hate are when it's a total donkey call and then the suckout. And then "that's poker". Every time i hear "taht's poker" I want to put my fist thru someone's face.

... and my (bad) luck continues...

Live 3-table NLHE tournament last night.
Built up a decent chipstack by stealing blinds and unwanted pots.
About an hour in, I manage to get AA all in preflop against 99 and 22 (shortstack). Flop comes K92, no help on turn or river and I'm crippled.

I keep chipping up and get myself a moderate stack again... about 3300 chips.... Blinds are 75/150 and I'm dealt 77 in late position. UTG+2 goes all-in for 950. Two passive players call and then I decide to push all in to isolate w/ dead money. It works. Both passive players fold and UTG+2 shows A4o. Flop contains a 4, river is another 4 and UTG+2 says, "That's poker."

A couple of rounds later, I manage to get knocked out of the tournament as SB vs. BB. (BB has like 50 more than me). I had A7 and flop is 8c 7h 4s. I push and get called by Kc5c... WTF(!)... Turn and river are two clubs and motherfucker makes his flush.

No hobby money this month!

Last edited:

Cloud Nine

actually sounds like everyone sort of played correctly.

those are the bad beats i don't mind as much, even if they are low %. The one's i hate are when it's a total donkey call and then the suckout. And then "that's poker". Every time i hear "taht's poker" I want to put my fist thru someone's face.

Yeah BUT you WANT people to make horrible calls. Long run youll be +EV!!

Single table, it's getting late (blinds 200/400). Talbe been going all over the place changing. Still 5 players. BB is chip leader with 4920, I'm UTG with 2365, next 1875, button 2910, SB 14340.

As first to act, I push all in with AhJc, fold fold fold, BB chip leader calls with Js9d (WTF?????)

Flop: Ad5sQd
Turn:10D
River: 8c

Un fucking believable.

Potential worst bad beat of all time:

single table, 9 player. down to three players. high stack is 5250, second 4625, me 3625.

second posts SB of 100, I post bb of 200, leader folds, sb limps, I check with 9s3s.

Flop come 8s10sJs - I hit my flush (and pick up a straight flush draw). He checks, I bet 600, he rasies to 3000, I go all in for 425 more.

He turns over QcQd and I'm 98.18% to his 1.82%

turn 10c.

river 10h.

anyone else lost worse than 98.18 tp 1.82? I'm not even sure what can be worse than that?
Even the odds of losing quads to a gutshot straight flush draw on the river is 97.73% to 2.27%

OK, a challenge: come up with a worse beat than that (there must be, but I can't think of it).

I put almost exactly that beat on someone in a live game a couple of months ago.

Pocket Queens hitting runner-runner tens to boat up against a made flush.

Brutal.

Cloud Nine

KK vs 77
Flop comes 772
turn K
River K

Odds on the flop. 989 to 1.

Didn't see it happen, but heard it from a friend.
was sitting at a table about a year ago on FTP .25/.50 cash nlhe

saw a very similar situation

Ad4d one guy
7c7d the other

flop was 4 4 4

all in action and it went runner runner 7 7

according to cardplayer's calculator that's a 0.10% chance of winning when they got the money in

Waterclone

Go ahead. Try me.
was sitting at a table about a year ago on FTP .25/.50 cash nlhe

saw a very similar situation

Ad4d one guy
7c7d the other

flop was 4 4 4

all in action and it went runner runner 7 7

according to cardplayer's calculator that's a 0.10% chance of winning when they got the money in
Like I said. According to my calculator, 989 to 1 = 0.10% Actually, 0.1011122346% :)

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
Single table, 2 left, about even (me 8,000++ him 7,000-). We're jabbering and I've convinced him I'm going all-in every hand.

me BB: KQs
him: SB: K8off

he doubles BB to 1600, I push

JT873

Next hand:

me SB:AA
him BB:52off

I push like 1100, of course he calls

KT582

Chances of losing BOTH those (from pre-flop all-in) less than 3%

I think you should have came in a little stronger pre-flop with those bullets. He probably would have folded. You had a great starting hand but he had crap and let him improve cheaply.