Atkins Diet is a JOKE!

Alrighty, I started this so called "great diet" 17 days ago.

I starved my ass, eating eggs and bacon, meat only, no bread or my all time favorite, baked potatos.

I watched in pain as others around me enjoyed their carbs, while my body craved them.

I gave myself until today, Thanksgiving Day, to see if I would get any results..

Well, I just got off the scale. Either it's fucking broken, or Atkins is a joke..( or the fact that I did cheat once, or twice may have something to do with it) But I have not seen any results.

I quit. I am going on Trim spa.( http://www.trimspa.com ) If Anna Nicole can do it, so can *I*

Dr. Atkins( rest your soul) You made me waste 17 days of my life depraving myself of the only thing that keeps me from being crabby ...... CARBS!!!

Tonight, I am eating every single drop of stuffing, and all the potatos I want.

I am going to OD on carbs.

Originally posted by Ny Vanessa
Alrighty, I started this so called "great diet" 17 days ago.

I starved my ass, eating eggs and bacon, meat only, no bread or my all time favorite, baked potatos.

I watched in pain as others around me enjoyed their carbs, while my body craved them.

I gave myself until today, Thanksgiving Day, to see if I would get any results..

Well, I just got off the scale. Either it's fucking broken, or Atkins is a joke..( or the fact that I did cheat once, or twice may have something to do with it) But I have not seen any results.

I quit. I am going on Trim spa.( http://www.trimspa.com ) If Anna Nicole can do it, so can *I*

Dr. Atkins( rest your soul) You made me waste 17 days of my life depraving myself of the only thing that keeps me from being crabby ...... CARBS!!!

Tonight, I am eating every single drop of stuffing, and all the potatos I want.

I am going to OD on carbs.

I'll tell you that this thing really works. It sucks for the first two weeks or so, but then you dont even WANT the carbs.
I get full on an omlette now and just have a couple myoplex drinks throughout the day.
Just one little cheat though can kill it. You have to be somewhat religious about it for the first two weeks and the rest is a cakewalk. Only problem with it is that you're never supposed to go back to how you used to eat.
I plan on going back, my plan is to hit a goal and then hit the workouts harder than ever. It's been too long since I got to go out for drinks, I cant have a lifestyle like that.
I know I'll fuck it up in the longrun too, but I no doubt have results in the meantime.
Happy thanksgiving babe!

Kimmie don’t give up!

It does really work! Started 1/1/03 at 350 lbs. Waist 56. Went off diet in april for summer but watched what I ate and did not gain. At that time I was 320 Lbs. Started again middle of August and now 283 Lbs waist 46. Plan on staying on diet until 7/4/04. My goal is 215. Like uppereastside said you cannot cheat the first two weeks at all! After that there are now many products around with no or little carbs that are very good. Even beer, cheesecake, and ice cream, and even good bread. I average a lost of about 2 lbs per week but sometimes I go for 3 weeks without loosing and then I will drop 10 lbs. Other weeks just lose 2 lbs. Anyhow stick with it as it does work.

Its really hard...

Kimmie,

Its really hard. I can tell you this. The guys at the kickboxing gym have been doing the high protein (yeah, ok, here come the jokes) and low carb diets. Well, know what? Its really really hard to stay on, but after a few weeks, you will get used to it and you WILL see results. For the most part, diet is the main factor but you MUST exercise daily. Here's what worked for us and a friend of mine (she's smoking hot right now):

Breakfast- Eggwhite omlette with spinach or turkey. No breads. Perhaps a slice of bread.

Lunch- Grilled chicked. Thats it. No dressing, etc. Not even a salad. If you didn't eat a piece of bread before, then you can do so now, but not after 2pm. Its harder to burn off the carbs after 2pm. If you want carbs for the entire day, eat a sweet potato. Thats enough carbs for the entire day.

Dinner- Grilled chicken again. Then a piece of fruit. Drink water or sports drinks. Oh yeah, don't forget your multi-vitamins.

Then exercise. An hour of cardio a day is good.

As unrealistic as this may seem to you, its worked for me and the guys at the gym. The temptation is great but if you watch what you eat, you will see results. I hate those Trimspa ads and stuff, but hey, give it a try and see what works best for you. Everyone's body is different and react differently to diets/food. Try everything till you are comfortable in what works.

Sidekicks

Oh, and for the record kimmie, suppliments are great too.
I take a lot of whey protien in a strawberry shake, glutamine, creatine, and yes, I still do ephedra, but only pre-workout.
Myoplex also makes MRP (meal replacement) shakes that taste good, but you gotta look for the carb sense ones. you drink these between meals and you'll feel great.

NOYL

Poster Child for Birth Control (ironic, no?)
Atkins has come out with a bread that contains 3 grams of carb per slice. Not knowledgeable enough to say whether that's good or bad.

Originally posted by jp1064
Isn't the new South Beach diet a modified Atkins that allows carbs?
That's like saying there's a convent where the nuns fuck.

Even the maintenance Atkins diet has very limited carbs.

I did the diet for a month and lost 15 lbs but gave it up for alcohol.

Gives me gas....

Atkins really works! I started April 2003 @ 300 waist 44. Today, 11/27/03 I am proud to say I am 223 waist 36. The first month sucks, but after you get used to it!

Originally posted by NOYL
Atkins has come out with a bread that contains 3 grams of carb per slice. Not knowledgeable enough to say whether that's good or bad.
The bagels give me major gas (no odor), but they are worth it! :)

Beer is ok too! I have 4 to 6 Michelob ultras a day. Only 2.6 carbs each. Also low carb beer Accell from Saranac brewing company is very good and another one that just came out is from rolling rock. Miller lite is also low in carbs. As far as mixed drinks Baja Bobs has low carb drink mixes, which are very good. Btw Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Atkins Bread has an aftertaste and also some carbs. Same with Arnold low carb bread. Do not really care for either. There is a store in Yonkers called Sugar Free Express, which carries a line of bread with no carbs that is great! No after taste and they taste good. Expensive but worth it. Turkey sandwiches tomorrow Oh Yea!

I'm a fanatic when it comes to my diet. Although I do not agree with the Atkins Diet as your body needs carbs for energy, I do belive that a high protein and low carb diet can give you the results that you want. What I do is that I have my major carbs with breakfast(ie:bagel,bread) with my egg whites. Lunch and Dinner contain no carbs. I try to have 6-7 meals a day. 3 regular meals and 4 snacks. The snacks are no carb(or minimal carb) protein shakes or protein bars. The more meals that you have in a day helps your body to increase your metabolism. I also work out 5 days a week and I have 2 off days. My workouts contain exercise with weights as well as 30 minutes of cardio.

The main thing is that you forget the word "DIET". You need to change your eatting habbits for good. Not just for a month or so. People who diet generally get so caught up with strictly following a diet, that when they get off the diet that they tend to eat whatever they want and gain all the weight back. Try to change your lifestyle as far as eatting goes. I'll guarantee that you will lose weight and keep it off. Good luck!...:)

Thanks to all for the advice, support etc.

I went one week before I cheated. I was like a mad woman. I was crabby, moody, and really bitchy. ( so unlike me)

I did not feel full eating a meal consisting of meat only, and veggies. I was still VERY hungry.

I love love love champagne, and I will NEVER give up my one glass before bedtime. NEVER. Not for any diet on this planet.

I ate so many yams, potatos and stuffing today, I feel so guilty :(

Tomorrow I am going back to Day One of induction. I will give this one last shot until Xmas..... but the champagne STAYS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Cloud Nine

I had to open my big mouth.......
I've stayed low carb since July of last year, lost 90lbs, my cholesterol dropped 50 and I havent gained any weight since february.

I never did "Atkins", my doctor told me 1800 calories a day 20% carbs max. Thats about 70 carbs a day (a little over a potato). So all of my carbs came from nuts, veggies and some fruits. I have since stopped counting carbs and calories because I now know how and what to eat. The fat and protein fills you up and doesnt raise and crash your blood sugar so I'm not eating a few cookies one minute and an hour later eating chips because I'm craving.

Everyone is right, you have to get thru 2 weeks and the cravings subside. I was a huge sweet tooth but I stuck to it and suffered for a little bit and now it's paid in dividends.

A few products/tips to help you out.

1) Pure Delite chocolate, this sugar free chocolate tastes like the real thing. (beware, dont eat too much or else you'll be on the toilet)
2) Arnold's low carb multi-grain bread. 6 carbs a slice, tastes better than the atkins bread.
3) Nuts, nuts, nuts- a great snack.
4) Berries, berries, berries.
5) remember to subtract the sugar alcohols and fiber from your net carbs as they dont affect you.
6) If you have an ice cream maker, make a low carb ice cream.
7) Splenda, I cant tell you how great this sugar substitute is. You can bake with it too.
8) Cheese cake made with splenda and no crust. All of the ingredients in cheese cake except the sugar (use granualated splenda in equal amounts instead) is low carb.
9) Diet Rite, great diet soda that doesnt have caffeine and nutrsweet.
10) Make a menu for the week, plan your calories/carbs of meals and snacks ahead of time so youre not calculating constantly. Do your shopping based on that menu.
11) If you feel you must follow a plan like atkins, remember that eating too many calories will make you gain wieght even if you have no carbs. When you feel full STOP eating! Honestly tho, after 2-3 weeks you wont want to eat as much and feel sated with the proteins and fat.

Originally posted by ILoveSex
Beer is ok too! I have 4 to 6 Michelob ultras a day. Only 2.6 carbs each. Also low carb beer Accell from Saranac brewing company is very good and another one that just came out is from rolling rock. Miller lite is also low in carbs. As far as mixed drinks Baja Bobs has low carb drink mixes, which are very good. Btw Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Michelob Ultra isn't beer

Originally posted by Ny Vanessa

I did not feel full eating a meal consisting of meat only, and veggies. I was still VERY hungry.
You shouldn't be hungry. It sounds strange but make sure your meet isn't too lean. I ate eggs and sausage for BF and I wasn't hungry until 1 or 2. Follow that with a bacon cheeseburger for lunch and chicken for dinner. Not hungry all day. Fat takes longer to digest and should keep you full longer.