Any car guys here? Quarantine talk.

If I may what makes your big block lame? I have a 67 Camaro with a 454 pushing close 600 horse and there is nothing lame about about it. I even get these little Honda's and Suaru's turbo out who think they can beat me only to find out they can not. love my American made cars and trucks.
Around 500+ which is why I wrote lame by todays standards. Basically a LS6 with rectangle port edelbrock aluminum heads that I put together back in 2000. If I was putting it together today it would be one of those 540 cube or bigger crate motors.
Meanwhile friends with those newer ford and dodges are driving to the track with the AC on and running 10 second passes with minor or no modifications.

Around 500+ which is why I wrote lame by todays standards. Basically a LS6 with rectangle port edelbrock aluminum heads that I put together back in 2000. If I was putting it together today it would be one of those 540 cube or bigger crate motors.
Meanwhile friends with those newer ford and dodges are driving to the track with the AC on and running 10 second passes with minor or no modifications.
Miss Hamptons ,E town.

Fuel injection is the way to go nowadays.
My LS3 has 2 66mm turbos, makes around 1400 horsepower. Coupled with the s2000s 2800 lb chassis and a turbo 400 trans, we're talking 8 second passes with me Fucking up the launch like its my job.
Lately the Shelby gt350 has been very appealing for a quasi daily driver. Not winters or inclement weather but drive it on nice days since my shop is only 4 miles from home.

One of my friends has a hellcat I admit stock it is fast but it is in the shop a lot for electrical issues...I am old school guy I love my old model cars My 87GN is the newest car and the only non Chevy I own...I am in the process of putting a 396 in my 72 Chevy pick up I use for off roading.

What’s up with these exhaust systems on these cars / pickup trucks today? Hope they get outlawed. It’s ruining the quality of life around here. The N.Y. State inspection should add exhaust noise to their testing. Probably won’t because the political hacks getting money from the automobile industry to keep this shit going. Sickening!

My first car was a 1963 VW Bug. I paid ninety bucks for it. Engine sounded okay to a 16 year old. Soon found out the seller poured sawdust in the crankcase. Used it for a few months. It shook and shimmied. Not safe. Sold it for seventy-five bucks. At that time, the fifteen dollar loss was devastating to my ego and my purse.

Got a job at McDonalds and was able to spend about 250 bucks for a 1967 Volvo 122S Amazon. That was a solid car mechanically. The body was rotted out. Drove it for about three years, big miles before I could not afford the body work, insurance, gas, license and registration and school all at the same time. That was when a Volvo was a Volvo.

But I looked in awe at guys like you back at that time who were in their early teens and would spend most of their days and nights in the garage under a hood or ripping apart an engine and rebuilding cars like a seasoned mechanic. They all had loud muscle cars and rode those Chevys, Fords, Pontiacs with all the pride and grace of an Apache warrior, challenging other road warriors on the strip with a six pack, a joint, 8 track cartridge and one of his chicks in the passenger seat.

Oh My God, the 60's and 70's. Steppenwolf, "Born To Be Wild."

What’s up with these exhaust systems on these cars / pickup trucks today? Hope they get outlawed. It’s ruining the quality of life around here. The N.Y. State inspection should add exhaust noise to their testing. Probably won’t because the political hacks getting money from the automobile industry to keep this shit going. Sickening!
Everyone should drive teslas and hybrids and buy 15$ coffees also.

Question for the Tesla and electric vehicle owners..

Did you decide to purchase or lease these vehicles based on performance (Tesla) or because of the fuel efficiency...??

And with fuel prices down significantly, the logic behind an electric or hybrid vehicles presenting operating savings may be moot for the near future

Did you decide to purchase or lease these vehicles based on performance (Tesla) or because of the fuel efficiency...??

And with fuel prices down significantly, the logic behind an electric or hybrid vehicles presenting operating savings may be moot for the near future
If you can write off I would lease. I keep cars for looooong time. Solar on your house means you pay nothing for fuel. Gas won’t stay low for ever. Performance is out of this world. Nothing on the street can beat it to 100.

My question is.. How much does your electric bill go up? versus the cost of gas
Electric cars are cheap, when the electricity costs are low... unlike our high rates here

I'm a car guy who does amateur racing. Have driven mostly manuals my whole life. I love the sounds, feel, etc. Recently purchased a Model 3 Performance. With the latest major software upgrade it's producing 500 hp and over 500 lbft of torque, all of it from zero rpm on up. Acceleration from a standstill makes the blood rush to your head without a sound from the tires (all wheel drive) and only a faint electrical whine from the dual motors. At any speed it throws you back in your seat. Zero to 60 in 3 seconds and under, depending on the surface and state of charge. I've beaten Porsche's, Hellcats and the like off the line. If you care to go over 110 mph the others will catch up and pass. One does have to get used to the quietness and lack of drama due to the vehicle's total competence.

The handling, steering feel, stability in windy conditions, quietness, seating comfort and the way it tracks dead straight on the highway puts other performance cars I've owned to shame. The technology in the car will blow you away and the build quality is extremely good.
The car and it's features improves over time due to software updates that usually arrive monthly.

Range is not an issue. They claim 322 miles optimally. I plug it in every night. Full "tank", charge actually, every morning. I can drive without worry.

I bought the car for environmental reasons. My electric costs are less than half former gasoline costs. The only maintenance on the car is to change the cabin filter once a year, rotate the tires every 10K miles and change the battery coolant every 5 years. That's it! Money saved!

ONE MAJOR DISADVANTAGE FOR SOME MONGERS: If you have a significant other or wife and they have the Tesla app on their phones, your whereabouts can be tracked down to the direction the front of your car is facing. To have any access to a Tesla, you need the app on your phone. That is your key, plus a back-up card you keep in your wallet should the app fail. Therefore, if someone else also drives the car they know where you are!

billyS

Reign of Terror
Question for you car guys;
I notice most of the little quick cars now, the Honda's, the smaller Benz's, the ones that zip around the Parkways racing each other.

They seem to all make backfiring noise when they accelerate.

I know the muscle cars of the 70's and 80's didn't do that (unless they needed a tuneup) and neither did the Honda's that sounded like lawnmowers in the 2000's.

So what's up with all the backfiring? It's pretty common so it must be intentional.

I notice most of the little quick cars now, the Honda's, the smaller Benz's, the ones that zip around the Parkways racing each other.

I know the muscle cars of the 70's and 80's didn't do that (unless they needed a tuneup) and neither did the Honda's that sounded like lawnmowers in the 2000's.

So what's up with all the backfiring? It's pretty common so it must be intentional.
It’s a reflashed computer program they all love. It’s also why every Honda CR-V is a potential catalytic converter victim.

There is a new technology similar to shot spotter that will mail big fines to violators. To be continued