An Ode to hvb

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Ozzy
So now unless someone forces an unequivocal apology out of you, or I receive an ***** from Bender that GOH isn’t who I think it is and the post is removed….. I'm going to go on every fucking low life board on the internet and post it.
Am I reading this correctly???

If Bender *****s you that GoH isn't HvB but he refuses to take down the post, you're still going to post HvB's personal info?

And I thought I was destroying all my PMB goodwill...

justme

homo economicus
Originally posted by Stitch
The "1s" keep conversations alive, maintain the esprit de corps, assume leadership positions. The "2s" provided genetic diversity. They're needed to keep the "1s" from going stale or beginning to bore one another.

By the way, you're too kind about my role as a "2." But you're spot-on that that's my place here.
Right. I think one of the big hurdles will be reattracting some of those '2' posters who have undoubtedly found better things to do with their time.

You've been a really important contributor. I don't think I overstated.

That post by Ghost of HVB was orginally written by CL Man..

I saw it late last nite. The name was obviously changed.

I dont want Ozzy to go on a rampage and do something he will surely regret.

Wwanderer

Kids, don't try this at home
I think you guys have actually figured out the dynamics of a healthy board. ...
The "1s" keep conversations alive, maintain the esprit de corps, assume leadership positions. The "2s" provided genetic diversity. They're needed to keep the "1s" from going stale or beginning to bore one another.
On further reflection, I am also increasingly fond of the model/description. I think it gets several things right. Of course, it is obviously a bit oversimplified in various ways, including breaking what is clearly a continuum into two distinct groups, but it is as good a crude model as I have ever heard I think.

(I'd note that "chat regulars" play the role of what are being called "1s" here in many net communities. The times when a thread grows very rapidly due to two or more of the "1s" and some others having what amounts to an online conversation in nearly real time by making an extended series of posts responding back-and-forth to each other is very much like what goes on in a lively chat room and is also a major way that the "1s" accummulate such high post counts. The interface here is a lot clunkier and less natural feeling than a chat room, but of course it has the advantage that the results are recorded so that the conversation can be read, and sometimes restarted, later.)

Re the "2s" I am also increasingly inclined to think that their importance/contribution is easily underestimated, at least to the extent we define "1s" and "2s" solely by total posting frequency or participation in a large fraction of active threads. Or maybe the notion just needs a little re-formulation; it is not so much the total number of posts as the total number of interesting/memorable/entertaining/etc posts that ought to count. Put more bluntly, there are UGers with less than a 1000 posts whose presence or absence makes more difference than others with several 1000s, imo. And I think that jm is right that the "2s" probably turn-over more, are more easily permanently lost and may well be harder to initially attract or win back than the "1s".

-Ww

Wwanderer

Note that both CL MAN and GoH are now banned; I did not notice when or why this happened, although it looks like GoH had only a single post.

jm, I agree with your basic premise that too much blame for "UG's decline" is laid at HvB's door; I think there was more to it than that. However, this thread must surely demonstrate her (at least semi-) unique ability to generate Board drama and strife. Look what just talking about her, nevermind to/with her, is doing here. I still don't understand the mechanism, but I think that the effect is undeniable. And I predict that things will be getting quiet around here again if the sort of stuff in the last few pages of this thread continues to escalate for long.

-Ww

Don’t forget the 8’s. Those are the miners.

One thing I really don't understand....

Putting so much of one's emotional energy into a board...Making it all so personal and taking everything so personally...I mean, IRL usually provides enough emotional sturm und drang.
The board is divided into two types of users. For one group the ‘hobby’ is seeing strange women, receiving a mood altering bbbj or whatnot, and going back to daily life.

For the other group the ‘hobby’ is the board itself. These are the self-referential posters. They’re apparently less concerned with finding a quality provider and more concerned with calculating post percentages, keeping track of who has slept with Cat Ballou or mounting a lengthy post mortem Chewbacca defense of hvb.

The two groups share the same message board but use if for vastly different purposes. The second group is a sort of parasite of the first group, for it’s the first groups output that provides the second group’s sustenance.

(And now I’ve posted twice in a row which is the first sign of madness)

Originally posted by justme
Am I reading this correctly???

If Bender *****s you that GoH isn't HvB but he refuses to take down the post, you're still going to post HvB's personal info?

And I thought I was destroying all my PMB goodwill...

YES.

justme

homo economicus
I cannot deny that I have spent entirely too much time on this thread.

Still, I think it would be a mistake to suppose that more of my posts have been about UG than about the topic of prostitution.

If I have been drawn too deeply into a metadiscussion, it was only because I became offended at what I saw as a staggering lack of honesty.

On the other hand, I'm positive that I will post thoughtfull replies to any more substantial threads that anyone would like to begin.

Originally posted by justme
I cannot deny that I have spent entirely too much time on this thread.

Still, I think it would be a mistake to suppose that more of my posts have been about UG than about the topic of prostitution.

If I have been drawn too deeply into a metadiscussion, it was only because I became offended at what I saw as a staggering lack of honesty.

On the other hand, I'm positive that I will post thoughtfull replies to any more substantial threads that anyone would like to begin.
I can't understand why you just can't accept my reasons for not liking this woman. Why do I have to have an agenda or making up invalid or irrational reasons to dislike her. I have plenty.... You want me to make a list....

The threat she made not withstanding... aren't her laundry list of character flaws (which YOU pointed out btw) enough reason for anyone to dislike her? I didn't like her before the threat. Didn't like her when she was on JAG, and didn't like her the day she came to UG.

You know me almost 7 or 8 years... and allot better than 99% of the people here.... and you don't know by now that I despise uppity snobs? People who think their shit don't stink or think they're more deserving than the a poor schlep on the street because of their social status or education? You don't see me going after her for of all things... the way she puts down or goes after the less fortunate. Makes no difference if you agree with me that they are less fortunate than her.... I believe that, and that's why I can't stand her.

Yeah... I've been a thug no different than her... But at least I own up to it and until the last week or so I've avoided pretty much any controversy since I came back here 6 months ago. But I never went after innocent bystanders or the less fortunate... and as CL MAN proves once again... nearly every time I get into it with someone... they end up discrediting themselves without any help from me. So I don't go after innocents with intent like she did.

And I’ve painted myself in corners before…. I’m still not fully convinced a women didn’t write that post…. Maybe HVB is humping Mopar now. And there’s details in that post that lead me to believe that the person who can get me out of this corner might know GOH and at one time may have made some off the cuff mention of a detail or two not realizing it would ever be used against me.

And not 4 nothing.... but if that post were about you... wouldn't you want it down? Wouldn't you deserve to have it taken down? It was taken down last night... why not now especially since todays was posted under an alias with one post. What point is it serving to leave it up?

Wwanderer

One thing I really don't understand....
Putting so much of one's emotional energy into a board...Making it all so personal and taking everything so personally...
Hey dude, how many deep mysteries of the universe do you expect us to solve in one week?

-Ww

justme

homo economicus
And not 4 nothing.... but if that post were about you... wouldn't you want it down? Wouldn't you deserve to have it taken down? It was taken down last night... why not now especially since todays was posted under an alias with one post. What point is it serving to leave it up?
If that post were written about me, I'd rather it stayed up because I would assume that it reflected more poorly on the author than on myself.

justme

homo economicus
Ozzy -

I'm not questioning your right to dislike HvB. I'm not questioning anyone's right to dislike anyone else.

What I'm questioning is what I think are a set of myths that I believe are simply not true.

And you know my way before I changed ? I KNEW you were someone who's changed his name and has come back to stir trouble....
Speaking of people who've come back under more than one assumed name to stir up trouble....

Originally posted by The Ghost of Ozzy
Never said we did.. the gist of that opst was addressed to Kimmie (although some pertained to you)

2. (a) i'm not judging you

You absolutely have. You've done it to JL in that stripper thread and you've done it to several in this thread. Obviously if you can't even admit to what you're doing than this is a dead issue and I won't beat any horses.

(your insecurity about who you are and what you do is so obvious it's heartbreaking.)

Please refrain from psychoanalyzing me. If I wanted that I'd pay $300 an hour and go see a witch doctor with a degree. This is what Kimmie* does, and if she does it one more time I'll analyze her and she won't like what embarrasing things Dr. Ozzy has to say.

And if you or anyone think I have anger issues IRL than why not ask Slinky who has probably spent close to a thousand hours with me... if I've ever raised my voice to someone.

(*as do most woman (prostitutes) who come to these boards, because their usually so fucking damaged themselves that they've spent half their life lying on a couch)

(b)you do this ALL the time. WHY?

I absolutely do not. I don't judge people. I tell plenty what I personally think of them, I tell plenty to go and fuck themselves... But I DO NOT JUDGE ANYONE. This is the single biggest reason most woman in this business that I've gotten to know personally give when they're asked why they like Ozzy.

If you or anyone don't believe me, than ask April or the nearest member of Team Brazil.

3. i don't know who they are, but do you think you're the one that defines what this or any place is? a sanctuary hardly. you know where to find sanctuary, but you refuse to go there.

I don't define anything... This place is what it is. A place for people to discuss prostitution, the various woman who are involved in it, the various services woman provide and various other aspects of this business.

It's not a place for anyone to shake a finger in anyone elses face and tell them how evil or wrong they are for participating in it.

i see you think i am threatening you,

What you posted about receiving or being in possession of *my* personal information is tantamount to blackmail (you claim to be a lawyer than you should know this). You chose to post that so *I* and others could see it. You could have responded to those people who sent it to you thru the same e*mail from which you received it. The only purpose served in posting about it was to show me and the rest of the board that you were privy to my personal info.

Again (even though I said I would not discuss the matter),

1) There's is absolutely no way you have received any valid info on me whats-o-ever. I for reasons other than this board or business have always been extremely careful about that sort of thing. Shit! my own home phone isn't even in my name.

2) You know how bent I got just from tank posting my first name on JAG... How do you expect me to react to your post about what you claim is *MY* personal info being passed around back channel?

And you can perceive this as as a threat or not... But I will find out who sent you what you think you have because fortunately the internet is both a hackers paradise and big brother, ******s are basically saved on servers for up to 30 days sometimes.... and with one phone call to a good friend who has the will and the know-how, and one favor owed, I will be privy to every ****** you have received in the last 48 hours. I'll also be privy to all those IP addresses (thus their names and address) of those who felt it was their business to invade my privacy.

Lets see how they feel when I start dropping their names and address all over the place like bombs.
That post was made in July of 2003 and what happened subsequently? Hvb was outed along with a few other posters and UG posting as well as all PMB posting declined. So, if we were to look at facts rather than prejudiced opinions wouldn't the more likely conclusion be that Ozzy and not HvB ruined UG and drove off posters.

Now, Ozzy threatens outing HvB again. Can anyone predict what the likely outcome of this will be?

Oh, and to all the boys with their heads in the sandbox, I hope you sleep comfortably at night knowing that Ozzy has your personal info, too.