2020 Yankees

Betts asked for 12 years and like 420 mill. To me - he isn't worth it. I think maybe Trout ... that's it. Maybe not even Trout. They haven't won anything with him and he seems to have a problem staying on the field. In the last three years he has driven in 255 runs .. thats an average of 85 a year ... NIce ... but not $40 million a year nice. Betts can try to get that on the open market. Personally I hope Betts has a bad year and getting a lot smaller contract. Anybody who turns down hundreds of millions of dollars and gambles on staying healthy and having a good year is crazy.
In 2017 Boston (reportedly) offered Betts an 8 year, $200 million extension, which he rejected. Recently it was reported that he was offered a 10 year, $300 million extension. Quite the upgrade in Boston's offer, and makes one think he was wise to hold out.

Betts rejected this latest deal, and I can't say that I blame him. He may be a few years older than Harper and Machado were when they hit free agency, but he is definitely a better ballplayer than either of them. His counter offer, while you may believe to be silly, is only that - a counter offer. It doesn't mean he will only take 12 years, $420 million. Agents for players do this all the time as it is a well established negotiating tactic. Don't begrudge a guy for asking.

I don't put much value in RBIs as a statistic (and haven't since the early part of the century), but if that's the way you're evaluating a lead-off hitting Gold Glove OF, I would respectfully say you may want to look at another method of evaluating him.

He led the league in Runs the past two seasons. Last season he posted a .391 OBP and a .915 OPS. He fields his position exceptionally well and is a great runner on the base paths.

I would disagree that averaging 149 games played over the past 4 seasons constitutes a problem staying on the field. As for not having won anything with him, he was the AL MVP when they won the World Series!!!

This last piece may not be of great importance, but when it comes to marketability in a day and age when so many athletes are getting themselves in trouble and many others coming off as just flat out boring, Mookie seems like a genuinely good guy with a passion for the game, who is exciting to watch and seems to enjoy himself on the field, and is well regarded by teammates. The type that could easily be the face of the franchise, fan-favorite, and combined with his many other talents away from the game, would easily be one of the most marketable players in baseball if they got their act together.

Maybe Mookie doesn't make sense for the Red Sox at the price and years he's ultimately looking to get; that's fine too. I just don't see the harm in a player looking to get what they believe they're worth, or rather, why anyone would wish such a player ill-will.

In 2017 Boston (reportedly) offered Betts an 8 year, $200 million extension, which he rejected. Recently it was reported that he was offered a 10 year, $300 million extension. Quite the upgrade in Boston's offer, and makes one think he was wise to hold out.

Betts rejected this latest deal, and I can't say that I blame him. He may be a few years older than Harper and Machado were when they hit free agency, but he is definitely a better ballplayer than either of them. His counter offer, while you may believe to be silly, is only that - a counter offer. It doesn't mean he will only take 12 years, $420 million. Agents for players do this all the time as it is a well established negotiating tactic. Don't begrudge a guy for asking.

I don't put much value in RBIs as a statistic (and haven't since the early part of the century), but if that's the way you're evaluating a lead-off hitting Gold Glove OF, I would respectfully say you may want to look at another method of evaluating him.

He led the league in Runs the past two seasons. Last season he posted a .391 OBP and a .915 OPS. He fields his position exceptionally well and is a great runner on the base paths.

I would disagree that averaging 149 games played over the past 4 seasons constitutes a problem staying on the field. As for not having won anything with him, he was the AL MVP when they won the World Series!!!

This last piece may not be of great importance, but when it comes to marketability in a day and age when so many athletes are getting themselves in trouble and many others coming off as just flat out boring, Mookie seems like a genuinely good guy with a passion for the game, who is exciting to watch and seems to enjoy himself on the field, and is well regarded by teammates. The type that could easily be the face of the franchise, fan-favorite, and combined with his many other talents away from the game, would easily be one of the most marketable players in baseball if they got their act together.

Maybe Mookie doesn't make sense for the Red Sox at the price and years he's ultimately looking to get; that's fine too. I just don't see the harm in a player looking to get what they believe they're worth, or rather, why anyone would wish such a player ill-will.

OK ... What happens if he gets hurt this year ..... then he signs a one year deal with someone to show he is better and then has an off year or gets hurt again??? You can kiss $300 mill good bye. You can kiss $200 mill good bye and you can kiss $100 mill good bye. Then is he smart? Also .... I don't think a leadoff hitter deserves $400 mill or $300 mill. That kind of money goes to the top 5 players in the game.

I was talking about Trout when I said he couldn't stay on the field and they haven't wonanything with him.

No one player is worth that money.
If a team does pay him then they wont be able to pay anyone else. Then he will be crying about how bad the team is.
It never works out
Btw. Lets see how well he hits now than he doesn't know what pitch is coming

I am kind of with you hardandslick. Look how A-Rod's contract handcuffed the Yankees. I think Betts is a good player ... but if you are talking $400 mill - you have to be Mike Trout. Arenado and Rendon are both better players than Betts. I can see them getting 10 years and $300 mill. I just don't think Betts is in that same category. He is a very good young player. I think it is foolish on any players part to refuse hundreds of millions of dollars and gamble staying healthy for a couple of years. You see it all the time. I would have taken the money and ran. Listen - he already probably has enough money to never have to work a day in his life. I guess no matter what he will be fine.

I am kind of with you hardandslick. Look how A-Rod's contract handcuffed the Yankees. I think Betts is a good player ... but if you are talking $400 mill - you have to be Mike Trout. Arenado and Rendon are both better players than Betts. I can see them getting 10 years and $300 mill. I just don't think Betts is in that same category. He is a very good young player. I think it is foolish on any players part to refuse hundreds of millions of dollars and gamble staying healthy for a couple of years. You see it all the time. I would have taken the money and ran. Listen - he already probably has enough money to never have to work a day in his life. I guess no matter what he will be fine.
I said previously . No player is worth it. You just went through it with Cole. He is of coarse not worth that contract, but he is a great pitcher, Dominant. Right now, I dont think you guys are worried about his contract, unless he blows out his are... Betts? Steve, I agree with you, but you know, its like that next man up thing. He will hit free agency at the right time, and someone will over pay....

With Cole - he is definitely worth more than Betts ... and .... with Cole - I think Yankees are now favorites to win it all. And .... if they win it in 2020 it was worth it. If they win one or two championships over the length of Cole's contract and he plays a key role in it ... definitely worth it. Let's see. Betts is not the difference maker. I think only a real ACE can be the difference maker - like Randy JOhnson, Sandy Koufax, Whitey Ford, Max Scherzer. Aces that excel in the postseason. Other than that ... I am not big on pverpaying for position players. Stanton's contract is HORRIBLE! A-Rod - the Yankee renewal - was horrible. Hard to find good contracts that are 10+ years and like $300 mill.

With Cole - he is definitely worth more than Betts ... and .... with Cole - I think Yankees are now favorites to win it all. And .... if they win it in 2020 it was worth it. If they win one or two championships over the length of Cole's contract and he plays a key role in it ... definitely worth it. Let's see. Betts is not the difference maker. I think only a real ACE can be the difference maker - like Randy JOhnson, Sandy Koufax, Whitey Ford, Max Scherzer. Aces that excel in the postseason. Other than that ... I am not big on pverpaying for position players. Stanton's contract is HORRIBLE! A-Rod - the Yankee renewal - was horrible. Hard to find good contracts that are 10+ years and like $300 mill.
No, I agree with that, and Im not saying Cole isnt worth more than Betts, although a position player plays every day. I was just saying about Coles salary, and gets hurt... Only because you mentioned big contracts and what is they get hurt. Plus, Betts may be worth more than a Cole to certain teams. Of coarse Cole was worth much more to the yanks than a Betts. Cole was the perfect signing for the yanks. And yes, they have to be the favorites to at least get there, ad probable win it.

Its starting again with the injuries, just earlier this year. Huge void after the way he pitched end of last season. Ridiculous they wait this long, Sevs last year, Paxton this year. Can we just get a healthy team for 1 month straight to see how dominant they can be? This SUX!

OK ... What happens if he gets hurt this year ..... then he signs a one year deal with someone to show he is better and then has an off year or gets hurt again??? You can kiss $300 mill good bye. You can kiss $200 mill good bye and you can kiss $100 mill good bye. Then is he smart? Also .... I don't think a leadoff hitter deserves $400 mill or $300 mill. That kind of money goes to the top 5 players in the game.
So a player should blindly accept any extension offer a team gives them? If, if, if.... Ok... He was offered $200 million initially, then 2 years later the Sox offer him $300 million. He doesn't see that $300 million offer if he had agreed to the $200 million original offer. A little patience and his value has gone up $100M. Harper and Machado both declined club offers for extensions and it seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

I don't know what your top 5 position players look like, but Betts is on my list taking into account his speed, hitting, defense and age. Can't have anyone from the Astrisks on that list after what we learned about that team.

I guess it is subjective ... but no way in hell do I turn down multiple hundreds of millions cause I MIGHT be able to get another hunderd mill if I wait .... BUT ... I may wind up with nothing if I get hurt. How much different will his life be if he takes say $250 mill as opposed to $350 mill? He's filthy rich either way. How much different will his life be if he takes the $250 mill last year when it was offered, as opposed to not taking it and winding up with nothing cause he got hurt?

Betts is also kind of inconsistent ... yeah he hit 340 when MVP in 2018 and he knew what pitch was coming ... other than that ....he is definitely under 300. Plus a real big deal to me is how you perform in the potseason. And he sucks in the postseason. Take a look at his postseason numbers.

Again ... just to clarify ... I think he is a really good player ... just not top 5 in the game and I am not giving him $350 mill ... and probably not $250 mill either.