2019 Mets

He played college ball with jeff Wilpon's son
Wonder if that played a part in the deal.

Also need to post a mea culpa. The Phils are the ones that received the cash consideration. So the Mets paid Philly to take Vargas off their hands and only received a weak-hitting AA catcher for their compensation.

I heard an explanation on the FAN before.
The Mets are afraid to throw in the towel on this season and have people stop coming to games and stop watching SNY. That would cripple them financially.
How bad a shape are the Mets in financially that not selling as many tickets for the remainder of the season would cripple them financially?

From what I understand baseball teams make a good deal of their revenue through their regional sports networks, of which the Mets are a majority owner in SNY. A third of the season mired in low ratings would cripple them? For a team that has $340M in annual revenue?

We know that the team took a big hit from the Madoff fiasco, but without knowing who said it on air (fan? Host? Reporter?) I can't help but think this is just another crackpot WFAN theory.

Stroman contract runs out in 2020, he is an unrestricted free agent in 2021.

I view him as an innings eater type, 3/4 starter type. He could actually do pretty well in the NL I think. But if he wants to be a Yankee I bet the Yanks will give him a look and try to get him at a bit of a discount. He will be 30 in 2021, so at best maybe he could net a 4 year contract.

Correct. Because Mcneil will be at third next season and Smith? probably will be traded for bullpen help off season.
I would love to see McNeil back at third and Frazier gone; although, I think they would miss his presence in the clubhouse. Smith has been fantastic off the bench so they could keep him in that role. He had been playing good defense before that last week. His injury explains that for me.

I would love to see McNeil back at third and Frazier gone; although, I think they would miss his presence in the clubhouse. Smith has been fantastic off the bench so they could keep him in that role. He had been playing good defense before that last week. His injury explains that for me.
He was hitting well. Not sure he is athletic enough to be a good outfielder. If he can, that would help.

I have been impressed with Smith, especially his bat. Hernandez was saying he is actually a pretty good defender at 1B, he doesn't belong in the outfield.

Trading Smith for a nice bullpen piece would be a win for the Mets. It's CF and C that are glaring holes along with that bullpen. Maybe They can land Grandal next year. They were close this past off season. CF, is another problem.

Hicks and Garcia for Thor

Defense and Diaz blow a save and spoil a gem of a performance by Thor. If ever there was proof that the moves by BVW are too little - too late, this is it. Lugo came in and bailed out Thor but Diaz falters again. Even if the Mets manage to win this one, their weaknesses are glaring tonight.

Cano does not hustle at all. I don't mean just in running out ground balls. Just now scoring from second it looked like he was jogging.

Did he do this as a Yankee?