2012 Mets

I don't think it was such a bad call. In real time, the ball looked foul. With the benefit of slow motion replay, it looked like the ball was slicing into foul territory and as it did so, barely grazed the line. It is the kind of call that gets missed many times every year because it's a close play and there is no instant replay in baseball on such calls. You never hear about it on those other occasions. To me it is not that big a deal. If you microanalyze other no hitters there are blown calls, lucky plays, etc. and if you try hard enough you can asterisk all of them. If you try hard enough you can asterisk a whole bunch of World Series as well, starting with last year when the Rangers lost because Nelson Cruz was afraid to run into the right field wall and let a ball that was an out drop in. If a defensive replacement had been inserted in right for Cruz, the Rangers would be 2011 WS Champs.
It was a horrible call and the ball mark makes it not such a difficult call and no need for slo-mo replay when it's right there at the umps feet. He refused to look at the ball mark and that's against how the league wants umps to call those down the line balls. After the Galaraga fiasco the league told umps to quickly check the spot of impact if it's too close to call. This ump failed to do that. Base runners continue to run and fielders continue to field the balls cause that's what they're taught from little league, there's no need for the ump to make the call in that split second.

wasn't the Galaragga call just a blown safe/out call at first? I don't recall that it was fair/foul related.
You're right. I was thinking of another play from the playoffs a few years back. Someone mentioned Galaragga in this thread and I confused it with that. But umps are told now to watch for ball marks and other such types of evidence that remain after or during the play.

It is OK to hate when you have reason! Bill Maher is a disgusting individual with little regard for decency. Yet Barry took his millions while calling for decorum. Can you say "hypocrite"?

One of my clients offered me an extra ticket he has for Yankees-Mets Friday night at Yankee Stadium. This will be my first Yankees-Mets game. The pitching matchup will be Johan Santana, in the 1st game since hurling a no hitter which was the 1st in Mets history, against Hideki Kuroda. Both teams are playing well and fighting for their respective divisions which are the 2 best divisions in baseball. This should be fun!

I am a Yankee fan and I have to admit this has been a surprise. It is all about pitching. Johan and Dickey have really made the difference. This is a definite step in the right direction. They need to make some moves in the off season to go for it in 2013. The Mets get an A for the first half. It may be a lot to ask them to replicate that record in the second half .... but if they do we could be seeing the Mets in the postseason!

Once they get rid of Wright they will be in good shape. He is just bad karma and he still represents the loser mentality that was Beltran and Reyes.

Dump Wright to a contender and get some good prospect ready for the majors.

Let's go Mets!!!

They need to sign Wright to a long term deal. He is the face of the franchise and The Mets have never had a position player spend their whole career as a Met, especially one as talented as Wright. Kudos to him this year for cutting down on his K's and also improving his throwing immensely.
Letting Reyes walk has not hurt them. Tejada in many ways is a better player than Jose. Not as exciting, but Ruben does a lot of the things which don't show up in the box-score that leads to wins, like making the pitchers work, getting on base, etc. He is much more disciplined than Jose and he is still only 22.

YOu do't want Wright as the face of the franchise. He has the stench of loser on him. signing him to a long term contract would be an immene mistake. Good money should not be wasted on him. Let's see what ALderson does.

I would trade him for 2 quality arms that are close to being ready for the big leagues. You are going to have to replace Johan soon as you are on borrowed time with that arm.

I was correct about Reyes. I am correct on Wright. His trade value is high right now ... TRADE HIM!

LI Steve should not post about sports anymore after this last one.

Everyone here knows I'm far... very far from a Met fan. But Wright is the best third basemen in the league and probably in the top 10 over all considering his attitude and class on the field and in the clubhouse. The exact opposite of Reyes, Bonds and tons of other "dogshit" players I've discussed in the past. He's only lost because the Wilpons have surrounded him with shit for most of his career.

PS... there is little to no trade value on a player about to become a free agent. Unless someone wants to give up a few young arms for a month or two of service from Wright.

Last edited:
Some players can't shake the stench. He is one of them. You all blasted me on Reyes ... now look at his stats. I am right on the money with Wright as well. I don't even care if he wins the MVP. When the Mets are ready to take it to the next level he will show his losing stench and ruin their season.

I cite A-Rod as an example. Please note that he had one "decent" postseason out of MANY!! A-Rod was aweful for the Yanks and now they are stuck with his contract. He has a similar stench.

Besides ... his trade value has peaked! You can probably get a few premium prospects for him. Last year, ALL OF YOU were saying the same thing and now that he is doing well for half a season you think he is a great player? Ozzy ... it is YOU who should not be allowed to post.

You remind me of George Steinbrenner saying in 1987, "I just won you the pennant by getting you Steve Trout."

Last edited:
The season is rapidly going into the toilet. Typical Mets. They play well for the first half, get everyone excited, then the shit hits the fan after the AS break. So far looks like nothing's changed since Alderson took over

They are not as close as many had thought and now is the time to deal Wright to get a stud pitching prospect. It has always been about good starting pitching.