The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

I have never been a fan of Moz. He’s got an intriguing voice and writes good lyrics, but he doesn’t give the music enough space to breath; he sings over everything. I used to say that the Smiths were at their best when Morrissey shut up.

That said, I agree that Marr’s best composition work is with the Smiths. Although the first Electronic album is probably my favorite with him on it. Full disclosure: I am a massive New Order fan.
I, too, am a massive New Order/Joy Division fan.
FWIW, I have a very good friend who got into a bit of a spat with Moz over the years. I'd give more details, but don't need someone looking up my friend and tracking it back to me. Point is, they had issues and eventually buried the hatchet. Seems some of the BS about Morrissey is just BS. He's a jerk, but not that big a jerk.

I had the good fortune to see the Smiths in 1984. June, I believe, at a free concert at the GLC. Great show. Billy Bragg was an opening act.
Saw many great shows in London, including the famous Black Flag fight. Classic stuff.

I love the R&R HoF for two reasons: the induction ceremonies always have amazing performances - especially the collaborations (ahem, Prince) AND because the museum is kind of fun.

Other than that, it's hard to think of a less rock and roll thing to do than to put on a suit, make speeches, pat yourself and others on the back, and politely applaud.

In other words: Sex Pistols kind of did it right.
I think my favorite R&R HoF speech has to be Alex Lifeson's "blah blah blah" when Rush finally got inducted in 2013...

There was a thread a few weeks ago which spoke about our UG personas and what we really are like without keyboard..
Reading through this thread I find some tastes in music quite interesting..
it’s all good

What are your thoughts to Meat Loaf being in the HOF? My thinking is that the incredible success of Bat Out of Hell and subsequent Hell II, should give him serious consideration.

Two or three hit songs should NOT get you in. To me he’s basically a one (or two) hit wonder.

Whether or not you like his music. Jay Z built an empire and has tons of hits.

Two or three hit songs should NOT get you in. To me he’s basically a one (or two) hit wonder.

Whether or not you like his music. Jay Z built an empire and has tons of hits.
If you're referring to Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell sold something like 80 million copies, the third largest selling album in history.

That would be my argument. Not saying it's right, but I think it's deserving.

justme

homo economicus
But it's Rap, Hip Hop.
Not Rock and Roll

Now go ahead and attack me for being old.:rolleyes:
I think the people at the Hall would tell you that they induct people who have influenced rock and roll. It's hard to argue that Hip Hop hasn't had a profound and lasting influence on R&R.

That said, I actually agree with you. In the current regime, they seem to be averaging an artist every two years or so. It almost feels like a quota system and it hardly gives the genre the respect it has earned.

The Hall's inaugural class was in '83, or 35 years after Big Mama Thornton moved to Houston and started experimenting with new styles of music. Cool Here was an established party DJ in '73. Maybe it's not complete coincidence that Grandmaster Flash was inducted in '07 or just about 35 years after Hip Hop's birth. Coincidence? Anyways, we are almost 50 years into Hip Hop's history and 15 years past the first induction. Imagine if the Hall had under a dozen artists in 1998.

So I think Hip Hop needs its own Hall or ceremony or whatever just so there's enough room to give legends like Rakim or KRS-1 to get recognized for their lasting and massive contributions to music and culture.

billyS

Reign of Terror
It's hard to argue that Hip Hop hasn't had a profound and lasting influence on R&R.
If you want to argue that R&B had a profound and lasting influence on Rock and Roll, I would whole heartily agree.

But if you say Hip Hop/ Rap, which gained popularity early 80's had an influence on R&R which has been around since the 50's I'd disagree.
I'd argue it's the other way around especially since a lot of Rap artists "sample" Rock songs on a lot of their tracks.

But it's Rap, Hip Hop.
Not Rock and Roll

Now go ahead and attack me for being old.:rolleyes:
First there was Blues then Rock n Roll then Rap

I think the people at the Hall would tell you that they induct people who have influenced rock and roll. It's hard to argue that Hip Hop hasn't had a profound and lasting influence on R&R.

That said, I actually agree with you. In the current regime, they seem to be averaging an artist every two years or so. It almost feels like a quota system and it hardly gives the genre the respect it has earned.

The Hall's inaugural class was in '83, or 35 years after Big Mama Thornton moved to Houston and started experimenting with new styles of music. Cool Here was an established party DJ in '73. Maybe it's not complete coincidence that Grandmaster Flash was inducted in '07 or just about 35 years after Hip Hop's birth. Coincidence? Anyways, we are almost 50 years into Hip Hop's history and 15 years past the first induction. Imagine if the Hall had under a dozen artists in 1998.

So I think Hip Hop needs its own Hall or ceremony or whatever just so there's enough room to give legends like Rakim or KRS-1 to get recognized for their lasting and massive contributions to music and culture.
Music crosses over Johnny Cash is in Country music HOF and RRHOF.

justme

homo economicus
If you want to argue that R&B had a profound and lasting influence on Rock and Roll, I would whole heartily agree.

But if you say Hip Hop/ Rap, which gained popularity early 80's had an influence on R&R which has been around since the 50's I'd disagree.
I'd argue it's the other way around especially since a lot of Rap artists "sample" Rock songs on a lot of their tracks.
There is definitely a conversation between the two music forms. It’s simply ignorant to say that in the last 50 years, no rock and roll musician had been influenced by what was going on in the rap world. Blonde released Rapture 3 years before Run DMC’s first album.

Rock would be boring if it didn’t evolve. And that evolution would be myopic if it didn’t borrow from what was happening in all music forms. Funk, disco, rap, and electrónica have all come into being after rock and rolls first strums and they all have echoed back into rock.