The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

I grew up a Heavy Metal kid. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dio, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Etc…..

It’s funny. Kids today refer to my music as “Old Man Metal”. I guess it’s true. Ronnie James Dio Died close to 10 years ago. Every original member of Motörhead is Dead. Ozzy has Parkinson’s Disease. Even the thrash bands are in their late 50’s early 60’s.

And a lot of these guys still go out there and tour. Even if it’s to much smaller clubs. Some should give it up. They look horrible and they’re musicianship has diminished. Be remembered for who you were, not the walking disaster you’ve become. Vince Neil is a prime example. He’s an old fat man that can’t remember the words to the Motley Crue songs he helped write. Pitiful…

My tastes were way beyond that though. Hendrix, the doors, the stones.U2 the police David Bowie. Dire straits Etc…….

Lots of great musicians out of Long Island
Billy Joel Hicksville
Pat Benetar Lindenhurst
Twisted Sister Bayshore
Eddie Money Levittown
Joe Satriani westbury
Steve Vai mineola
Dream Theater kings park
Blue oyster cult
Lou reed
Vanilla fudge
Also the stray cat’s

I liked the glam side of Motley Crue, Poison, etc....went to a zillion(it seems like that many)shows in the mid 80's of these bands and had awesome times. Girls at these shows were great too! Lol

justme

homo economicus
Van Halen were awesome...and Eddie was a guitar god!
I really can’t listen to metal of any genre, and hair metal is somehow worse than the rest for me.

That said, I would dismiss anyone who disputed that EvH was a singular musical talent. He might not have made music for me, but he had that rare combination of virtuosity and compositional genius.

A couple of greats, Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, singers, songwriters, guitarists and storytellers. Croce died in a plane crash, age 30.

Chapin died driving on the LIE, Exit 40, hit by a truck from the rear. I believe he was driving an older Volkswagen Rabbit. Probably had his guitar thrown in the back seat.

His las concert was to be a free benefit concert in Westbury. Just the kind of guy he was.

Both sang vivid stories about life, so real and true, without fanfare, pomp and circumstance.

And, John Denver, went down in his self-piloted aircraft, but not before he “filled up our senses,” with great music, acting and huge amounts of community, world and selfless service to humanity.

Fricken hippies were great Americans with humongous spirits.

Elvis will always be "The King." He did a lot, and there is definitely some crap, but his influence on everything that came after (especially his influence on the Beatles) cannot be overstated. And his true early rock (Jailhouse Rock, Hound Dog, etc.) and some of his later stuff (Burning Love, Suspicious Minds) make up a truly awesome body of work.

That said, Chuck Berry was probably the real King of Rock 'n' Roll.