The Smiths; and other musical favorites and opinions of aging mongers

What baffles me, is that waking up early this morning, I found myself for some reason, and not recently hearing The Moody Blues, pondering your last quoted poem by Graeme Edge.

I googled him. He recently died on November 11, 2021, at the age of 80. An amazing personality and an amazing drummer. RIP
Yes, Yes he was. My elder brother & I called each other. Had a moment of silence and than chatted for a 1/2 hour about the many times we listened together & concerts we'd seen. To us there is Noone better in terms of complete Musical & Lyrical Genius, than The Moody Blues. One can argue that they have equals if you'd like but None better.

Yes, Yes he was. My elder brother & I called each other. Had a moment of silence and than chatted for a 1/2 hour about the many times we listened together & concerts we'd seen. To us there is Noone better in terms of complete Musical & Lyrical Genius, than The Moody Blues. One can argue that they have equals if you'd like but None better.
The Moody Blues, Oh My God, Greatness Personified. And, a drop of acid, catapulted them into the realms of otherworldly.

Their music kept me alive, kept me stable in the lonely years of my youth. They had that power; they had that substance. It was a time like no other.

It would be like putting Roger Maris in the baseball HOF.
It's funny, but he is "in" the HOF for his single-season HR record (I know he had a little section up there for a long time, though I'm guessing he still does now). I know he isn't in for his career or anything like that - but he did do SOMETHING that was HOF worthy, and they acknowledged it.

I actually think it's funny when people talk HOF stuff. For example, when discussing a QB that belongs in the HOF, I love to point out Jim Plunkett was incredibly mediocre but is "in" the HOF for his SB MVP honor and quarterbacking 2 SB champions. When someone points to an Eli Manning as HOF worthy, I point out that he led the league in INTs 3 times, but never led in another meaningful category. Then they say "2 SB MVP awards". Fair enough, but there's a lot more that goes into this calculation. By the SB MVP reckoning, I like to say Nick Foles is "in" the HOF 3 times - for being a SB MVP, throwing 7 TDs in 3 quarters of a game, and for setting a single season record of TD/INT ratio (though that was surpassed 3 years later by Brady).

I now Plunkett and Foles are not IN the HOF, but if you go, you'll see them in there for all these things. So they are "in" the HOF, though not for their career performance.
When it comes to Rock and Roll - what's the criteria? Lots of reasons to put MeatLoaf in if your criteria is fuzzy (the Foles and Plunkett "in" concept) but none, really, for his overall impact on the industry or genre. He was a good, and interesting, act. Great as Robert Paulson, too.
Personally, I think after the first 5 years they should have limited the R&R HOF to 1 act a year, and then had additional categories for R&R related concepts (Blues, Hip Hop, New Wave, Punk) that were more randomly assigned with no guarantee of getting in any particular year. Pretty soon every damn garage band will be in the R&R HOF.

I'm still waiting for The Sonics to get in. Never had a hit, but one of the most influential bands for the punk movement out there. 60's Punk, for lack of a better term.

Early Beatles meets late 70's punk.

I like your recipe, @billyS. But, mine is slightly different.

My recipe for the Sonics in “Strychnine,” is approximately 70% Little Richard, 10%, The Kinks, and the rest being a flavor packet of the drug-infused primal scream (with a tad of psychedelia) of the 60’s backlash and breakout from the entrenched military and bourgeois entrapped, repressed lifestyle of the 50’s.

Enjoyed it immensely. It is a pure snapshot of where the sixties were going. Very honest and exciting piece of rock & roll.

I like your recipe, @billyS. But, mine is slightly different.

My recipe for the Sonics in “Strychnine,” is approximately 70% Little Richard, 10%, The Kinks, and the rest being a flavor packet of the drug-infused primal scream (with a tad of psychedelia) of the 60’s backlash and breakout from the entrenched military and bourgeois entrapped, repressed lifestyle of the 50’s.

Enjoyed it immensely. It is a pure snapshot of where the sixties were going. Very honest and exciting piece of rock & roll.
You got that right, this screams of Little Richard who may be the original punk.

OTOH, Johnny Marr is the man.
Johnny Marr has announced that he will be releasing a 16-track double album, entitled 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4', via BMG on February 25th 2022.

Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' is the first full album of all-new Johnny Marr music since 2018's acclaimed UK Top Ten release, 'Call The Comet'. Preceded by opening track 'Spirit, Power and Soul', the album's electro-soul M.O. playlisted by BBC Radio 6 Music and BBC Radio 2, described as "an exercise in progressive creative ambition" by DIY, "invigorating" by Uncut and with "defiance in its DNA" by CLASH - 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' is divided into four chapters. All 16 songs make up a fantastically expansive work with a deliberate beginning and end.

Zeppelin actually wrote Rock And Roll when they started jamming this song because they were frustrated not being able to finish recording Four Sticks:

This is pretty shocking due to the obvious similarities. And, it wouldn’t be the only accusation against Led Zeppelin with respect to their blatant, unabashed “borrowing,” from founding the fathers of rock & roll.

And by their own admissions, all the Brits, the Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Eric Burdon, Winwood, along with the yanks, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, all repackaged the black sound boiling up from the southern underbelly.

The story goes, tracing rock & roll back to its inception, it started at the abrupt ending of the Civil War.

During the Civil War, the troops marched into battle accompanied by a marching band of brass and drums.

At the finality of the war, there were heaps stockpiled of abandoned brass instruments that the blacks grabbed hold of and started to improvise. It started out as early gospel, blues, later jazz and it morphed into rock & roll.

The Beatles are on record as saying “No Leadbelly; (Huddie Ledbetter) no Beatles.”

Johnny Marr has announced that he will be releasing a 16-track double album, entitled 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4', via BMG on February 25th 2022.

Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' is the first full album of all-new Johnny Marr music since 2018's acclaimed UK Top Ten release, 'Call The Comet'. Preceded by opening track 'Spirit, Power and Soul', the album's electro-soul M.O. playlisted by BBC Radio 6 Music and BBC Radio 2, described as "an exercise in progressive creative ambition" by DIY, "invigorating" by Uncut and with "defiance in its DNA" by CLASH - 'Fever Dreams Pts 1-4' is divided into four chapters. All 16 songs make up a fantastically expansive work with a deliberate beginning and end.
I'll be sure to add that one to the library!

What I like about his playing is how deceptively simple it is from a basic chordal perspective. Cemetery gates is at heart just a C/G/D progression, and you can play it like that, but if you listen to what he’s doing the parts are so much more complex. And his strumming on bigmouth is super tight.
it’s like Brown Eyed Girl, every Jamoke at the Jam can cover the chords, but rarely anyone knows the real parts.