Any car guys here? Quarantine talk.

billyS

Reign of Terror
There is a new technology similar to shot spotter that will mail big fines to violators. To be continued
Fines for people driving cars that backfire?

So the cars backfire on purpose? Does this make the car go faster or these idiots just like the sound?

I’m truly an oddball muscle car guy. If it was rare , I had it.

1974 Buick Apollo GSX (unicorn)
1968 Buick GS400
1972 Buick GS350
1970 Buick Skylark w/ 455
1975 Pontiac Ventura GT (rare)
1974 Pontiac Ventura GTO (unicorn)
1968 Pontiac LeMans
1992 Pontiac Firebird
1973 Olds Omega (rare)
1977 Buick Lesabre Turbo Coupe (rare)
1975 Chevy Nova SS
1987 Monte SS
2011 Chevy Camaro 6 Speed manual (currently own daily driver)
1968 Ford Falcon w/ 302
1972 Plymouth Satellite 318
1974 AMC Javelin 304
1968 AMC Javelin SST 290
1974 AMC Javelin AMX 304 4 speed
1972 AMC Javelin SST Pierre Cardin 390 nitrous in the trunk . well over 500 hp (currently own and in my garage).

It’s a reflashed computer program they all love. It’s also why every Honda CR-V is a potential catalytic converter victim.
Just curious (I don't really care about the noise unless it's outside my house at 3am and the ones I heard are no where near as loud as bikes), does the new program affect NYS emissions?

I’m truly an oddball muscle car guy. If it was rare , I had it.

1974 Buick Apollo GSX (unicorn)
1968 Buick GS400
1972 Buick GS350
1970 Buick Skylark w/ 455
1975 Pontiac Ventura GT (rare)
1974 Pontiac Ventura GTO (unicorn)
1968 Pontiac LeMans
1992 Pontiac Firebird
1973 Olds Omega (rare)
1977 Buick Lesabre Turbo Coupe (rare)
1975 Chevy Nova SS
1987 Monte SS
2011 Chevy Camaro 6 Speed manual (currently own daily driver)
1968 Ford Falcon w/ 302
1972 Plymouth Satellite 318
1974 AMC Javelin 304
1968 AMC Javelin SST 290
1974 AMC Javelin AMX 304 4 speed
1972 AMC Javelin SST Pierre Cardin 390 nitrous in the trunk . well over 500 hp (currently own and in my garage).
I'm sorry to see you are mostly a GM guy.

Fines for people driving cars that backfire?

So the cars backfire on purpose? Does this make the car go faster or these idiots just like the sound?
Not faster they just want the noise. Program plays with timing and fuel tables to make them sound like fast and furious. I used to drive open headers on the street so I just smile when they come by. The stupid things you do when you’re young

Just curious (I don't really care about the noise unless it's outside my house at 3am and the ones I heard are no where near as loud as bikes), does the new program affect NYS emissions?
No because it’s a tune. You can put back to factory when you want. Problem is the backfires damage the catalytic converters so the gut or remove them then they figure who needs a muffler? Now when emissions come they get midnight auto to steal your moms converter at 2 in the morning.

I was raised on Mopar.
Very very pricey, even for rust buckets . I aquired my 72 Satellite from a friend who owed money and was gonna get evicted. It was cool.

The Javelin was only around for 6 years (2 seater AMX only 3). And it won the Trans Am Racing series 3 times in that short period. They’re still affordable. They turn heads everywhere. And most importantly , they’re super rare . I’m the only AMC guy in the parking lot. And if there’s another, we talk AMC.

I’d rather be the guy that sticks out in the crowd (when it comes to muscle cars).

My last car sports cars were Mazda RX7's. I don't know if it is properly called a muscle car but had decent acceleration, top speed of well over 130mph (that I could personally verify as I didn't want to exceed that to find out) and had perfect 50-50 wheel weight distribution due to the fact that the rotary engine was so small at 80 CU in (not a typo!)— imagine something slightly bigger than a basketball. Had 2 rotors each with 3 chambers,(so equivalent of 6 cylinders) all of which would fire each rpm. No not really a two cycle engine as there was separate intake w/compression, firing with the equivalent of a down stoke, and the equivalent of an exhaust stroke.

The 5 speed manual transmission took some getting used to as there was not the torque drop off typical of cylinder engines that indicated it was time to shift. Red line on tach was 7000-8000 rpm but was told that cold safely go higher as engine had no valves (thus no camshaft), no crankshaft and no oil splash sump. Since the engine was so small the majority of the transmission was under the dashboard so you had more room in the cabin .

Also, when I 1st got the car I would sometimes reengage the starter while the engine was running as it was so smooth that the only indication that it was running was the tach. Not kidding, I think the heater/air conditioner fan induced more noise/vibration than the engine.

Another down side is no trunk, was a 2 seater with a rear deck. Had some interesting sessions in that car where the girl would ride me CG with her head sticking out the sunroof. Obviously this limited time of day/locations where such could occur. As they say "where's there a will, there's a way"

Major disadvantage was engine life as you needed to replace rotor seats (equivalent to piston rings) at around 70K mi. They didn't tell you that in the manual but I had 2 of them and had to do that and knew of other with same experience. Luckily they just replaced the whole engine short block with another rebuilt - a couple of hour job.