First Impressions

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
So I am getting really confused with how restaurants are rated on Long Island. I am such a foodie. I’m down to try all kinds of cool things. Most importantly I prefer good food over a good presentation! Well so far, this is my experience with 3 restaurants I heard so many great things about - Mind you this is my first impression!! And they all failed... smh:

Insignia:
This place has their presentation skills down to a science.... I got some Australian Ribeye or something... the steak was cooked perfectly to temperature... but it was so salty that I literally could not eat it. When I’m spending this kind of money for a meal, it should be right the first time. I did not eat it and I told the wait staff I was not interested in anything else. Complete turn off from going back...

Blackstone:
I didn’t like most anything about this place... apparently after talking to other people, I went on the worse night... a Thursday??? Wtf. Anyways... the bar was so overcrowded that people we’re backed up to my table... with a bunch of people with their chest puffed out and their stomachs sucked in and their noses high in the air... like really, y’all put your clothes on the same way as everyone else... calm down... but whatever... Then I order the Lobster Bisque soup. It was good. Had a lot of lobster in it. And I order the filet, medium; Oscar style..... presentation is beautiful, once again; the steak is cooked well done. Seriously? I at least ate it but it was a disappointment. Sub par at best.

One 10
I completely loved almost everything about this place. THE ENTIRE BAR STAFF WAS SEXY AS F*CK!!! The place was beautiful. The vibe was great. But without ringing too many bells for them... they were steady when I got there towards the end of the evening. I ordered at the bar. My app comes out almost immediately. Great cheese and meat tray. And I’m drinking coffee and Kailua (or however it’s spelled) and finally after an hour and they are 5 mins from closing I ask if I can just get my check because my meal never came out. So everyone is scratching their heads trying to figure out why... I flagged down the manger. I explained to him how great my entire experience was ... EXCEPT for the fact I never got to eat.... So, I must say, he went way above and beyond.... he not only covered my entire meal, he got them to make it and packed it To-Go, and he gave me his Business Card and a $50 comp card. So I will go try them again... they said the printer failed and no one saw it in the cue or something.... But overall, this was the best experience.... I did try the Chilean Sea Bass when I got back to my hotel... I didn’t like it but I can’t blame them. It was the first time I have ever tried that kind of fish and maybe I just don’t like it.

Anyways... it’s just interesting that on this Comp card... all 3 of these restaurants are listed. So unbeknownst to me, they are all owned by the same person/people. Hmmmm... Do I give them another try? Is this really just a fluke? IDK. Anyways:eek::eek:

Yes all 3 are owned by the same family. One 10 is the newest of the bunch. They also now own Jewel which is right in the same area. I have only been to Blackstones. Never had a bad meal but for the record I stick to their sushi or crabmeat cocktail to start and then get the Dover sole. All of these places are over priced in my mind. PS I never liked Jewel was good in the beginning but went down hill in year 2. PSS You might be able to get new clients at the bar there lol I have seen pros there before

Sophia, yes they are all owed by the Scotto brothers. I agree with you they are all full of people with their noses in the air. Not my cup of tea.I don;t like people who judge others.Yes they are the top restaurants in Suffolk county(go figure) But there are better ones. :)

I could of told you insignia is overrated and blackstone sucks, stay away from jewel as they changed owners so menu has changed for the worse also. You should come with me to Vincent's or tellers one day with me.

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
I could of told you insignia is overrated and blackstone sucks, stay away from jewel as they changed owners so menu has changed for the worse also. You should come with me to Vincent's or tellers one day with me.
Tellers - I just heard of this one the other day... let’s go ;) Pick a night (or maybe time of the day) that’s not busy at the restaurant or is at least not packed

Vincent’s Clam Bar is one of my favorites! Their lobster ravioli is amazing... although that place stays crowded. I generally get my meal “to go” from there.

Tellers - I just heard of this one the other day... let’s go ;) Pick a night (or maybe time of the day) that’s not busy at the restaurant or is at least not packed

Vincent’s Clam Bar is one of my favorites! Their lobster ravioli is amazing... although that place stays crowded. I generally get my meal “to go” from there.
Yea Vincent's clam bar has some good food and portions are crazy lol. I would imagine it's less busy after the lunch rush hour so we can try to meet at one of those spots or ruth Chris also on one of your slow days if you have any lol:rolleyes:;).

@ Belle - All those places you went are overrated and just a place to be seen. Same for Tellers, Prime, and H20, both of those restaurant groups are now simply volume driven get them in, get them out. They need to turn those tables to cover the insane payroll to staff these monstrosities.

Check out The Linwood in Bayshore. If you ever head out east there is "The Trattoria" in St James, and the Frisky Oyster in Greenport - Their Oysters Friskafella are simple and a bucket list appetizer. The Trattoria is VERY nondescript and not fancy, its BYOB. But the food is legit. Lastly, if you ever in Huntington Village, try Osteria Da Nino, or Cafe Red - Both are operated by the same owner.

Sophia Belle

Trickle Down Economist
@ Belle - All those places you went are overrated and just a place to be seen. Same for Tellers, Prime, and H20, both of those restaurant groups are now simply volume driven get them in, get them out. They need to turn those tables to cover the insane payroll to staff these monstrosities.

Check out The Linwood in Bayshore. If you ever head out east there is "The Trattoria" in St James, and the Frisky Oyster in Greenport - Their Oysters Friskafella are simple and a bucket list appetizer. The Trattoria is VERY nondescript and not fancy, its BYOB. But the food is legit. Lastly, if you ever in Huntington Village, try Osteria Da Nino, or Cafe Red - Both are operated by the same owner.
Thank you!

You forgot to review po10ial steakhouse. ( joking) all 3 owned and operated by same family. Try macs in Huntington for some different steak options ( 60 day dry aged cowboy cut ribeeye for example) as most places only age for 30 days
Take a trip to manhattan and try cote it's a Korean bbq place with dry aged meats. Very good food Michelin star rated where you can wear shorts and a t shirt or a suit

I agree that Paces and Rare 650 are excellent. IMHO Tellers is overrated and noisy. My go to place for a five star meal is Primi Italian Steakhouse in West Islip. It’s a hidden gem. Valet parking. Nice atmosphere and great steaks and chops.
Obviously great is subjective but I’ve been to every place mentioned here and think Primi is on par with the best.
Enjoy

So I am getting really confused with how restaurants are rated on Long Island. I am such a foodie. I’m down to try all kinds of cool things. Most importantly I prefer good food over a good presentation! Well so far, this is my experience with 3 restaurants I heard so many great things about - Mind you this is my first impression!! And they all failed... smh:

Insignia:
This place has their presentation skills down to a science.... I got some Australian Ribeye or something... the steak was cooked perfectly to temperature... but it was so salty that I literally could not eat it. When I’m spending this kind of money for a meal, it should be right the first time. I did not eat it and I told the wait staff I was not interested in anything else. Complete turn off from going back...

Blackstone:
I didn’t like most anything about this place... apparently after talking to other people, I went on the worse night... a Thursday??? Wtf. Anyways... the bar was so overcrowded that people we’re backed up to my table... with a bunch of people with their chest puffed out and their stomachs sucked in and their noses high in the air... like really, y’all put your clothes on the same way as everyone else... calm down... but whatever... Then I order the Lobster Bisque soup. It was good. Had a lot of lobster in it. And I order the filet, medium; Oscar style..... presentation is beautiful, once again; the steak is cooked well done. Seriously? I at least ate it but it was a disappointment. Sub par at best.

One 10
I completely loved almost everything about this place. THE ENTIRE BAR STAFF WAS SEXY AS F*CK!!! The place was beautiful. The vibe was great. But without ringing too many bells for them... they were steady when I got there towards the end of the evening. I ordered at the bar. My app comes out almost immediately. Great cheese and meat tray. And I’m drinking coffee and Kailua (or however it’s spelled) and finally after an hour and they are 5 mins from closing I ask if I can just get my check because my meal never came out. So everyone is scratching their heads trying to figure out why... I flagged down the manger. I explained to him how great my entire experience was ... EXCEPT for the fact I never got to eat.... So, I must say, he went way above and beyond.... he not only covered my entire meal, he got them to make it and packed it To-Go, and he gave me his Business Card and a $50 comp card. So I will go try them again... they said the printer failed and no one saw it in the cue or something.... But overall, this was the best experience.... I did try the Chilean Sea Bass when I got back to my hotel... I didn’t like it but I can’t blame them. It was the first time I have ever tried that kind of fish and maybe I just don’t like it.

Anyways... it’s just interesting that on this Comp card... all 3 of these restaurants are listed. So unbeknownst to me, they are all owned by the same person/people. Hmmmm... Do I give them another try? Is this really just a fluke? IDK. Anyways:eek::eek:
Consider Capital Grille in Garden City. Great steaks and seafood, lively bar, excellent service and private rooms for groups of 6, 10, 15 or 20.