2020 Yankees

Its starting again with the injuries, just earlier this year. Huge void after the way he pitched end of last season. Ridiculous they wait this long, Sevs last year, Paxton this year. Can we just get a healthy team for 1 month straight to see how dominant they can be? This SUX!
He may be back in late May so it's not that bad. Should he stay healthy the remainder of the season, the reduction in innings may actually be a benefit.

The average fan doesn't understand "worth" or "value" of any of these professional athletes. Most think they should be happy to play for no more than a million a season, regardless of their productivity and revenue they help generate for clubs that rake in millions in profit before even selling a ticket.

Boston didn't offer Betts all that money because they put a spun a wheel and landed on a random number. I'm not saying I'd pay him $420 million, but I understand exactly how a team could arrive at a $350 million deal for the next 10 years for a player of his caliber at his age.

I don't believe MLB has released the report about the Red Sox sign stealing yet, and who may have been involved, so I'll withhold judgement.

He hasn't been great in the playoffs, I'll give you that. But over the last two years, he's got 158 Extra Base Hits, 264 runs, and a .991 OPS. He's like 26 years old, which, if I remember my Bill James reading correctly, is when the average player begins to enter their prime years.

You have your opinion and I understand that. I won't try to convince you otherwise at this point. Out of curiosity, who do you have in your top 5 position players right now?

WHen Judge is healthy is better than Betts ... let me correct that .. he is FAR better than Betts ... but that is when he is healthy which seem s to be a problem with him. I will not label Judge "injury prone" ... YET. However ... if he misses any significant time this year he is officially "injury prone".

I will give you players who I would rather have than Betts:

*********************IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER***************

Trout
Bellinger
Yellich
Harper
Lindor
Rendon
Arenado
Bregman is about the same player - more power - but he is a cheater like Betts
Altuve is better but he is also a cheater like Betts

So Betts ... may crack the top 10 .. but he is also about the same player as Boegarts and Devers who are on his own team. They both had better years than him this year.

OK - that was right off the top of my head ... now let's think some more:

Pitchers I would rather have than Betts

Cole
deGrom

Probably not Scherzer and VErlander because they are older.

Betts is close to being a top 10 player who probably was cheating when he won the batting title and he is bad in the playoffs. IN my miond you don't get over $250 mill if you can't perform in the playoffs. YOu can get $200 mill ... but anythign more than that you had best be able to perform in the postseason.

I don't think we are far apart ... Bottom line ... let's revisit this in a couple of years. My guess .... he doesn't come anywhere NEAR $400 mill.

WHen Judge is healthy is better than Betts ... let me correct that .. he is FAR better than Betts ... but that is when he is healthy which seem s to be a problem with him. I will not label Judge "injury prone" ... YET. However ... if he misses any significant time this year he is officially "injury prone".
Sorry Steve, but these are the facts.

Betts has won five straight golden gloves.
Betts has been an MVP candidate five straight years.
Betts lifetime BA is .301.
Betts is a contact hitter, strikes out 12% of the time.
Betts has played has never missed significant time.

Judge has never won a golden glove.
Judge was an MVP candidate twice in four years.
Judge has never batted higher than .284.
Judge strikes over a THIRD of his at bats.
Judge has missed significant time the last two seasons.

Judge remains a great talent and an exciting player, but is still a work in progress,

Mookie Betts is a top three player in the AL.

Lol let's just agree that they are BOTH great players! Most Yankee fans of course are going to pick Judge and Yankee haters and Mets fans are going to pick Betts.In my opinion they are both awesome players and would be happy with either one in my team!

Judge remains a great talent and an exciting player, but is still a work in progress,

Lets see how Steve handles this post...lol

I hear you... Remember though, Others teams were also doing it. Dodgers, Yanks, and supposedly a few others, and when the Commish told everyone to stop, Boston and Astros continued. So, we then have to look at those players, 3 years ago and a little before that also...

I will give you players who I would rather have than Betts:

*********************IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER***************

Trout
Bellinger
Yellich
Harper
Lindor
Rendon
Arenado
Yikes, Harper over Betts? Lindor is great, but Betts is a better hitter (higher OBP and OPS), but they play very different positions. Arenado is a defensive wizard with a nice bat, but take a look at his career Home/Away splits. It's pretty jarring to see those numbers drop outside the friendly confines of Coors Field.

From what we understand about the Sox sign stealing, they used the video replay room to look for sign patterns, and then when a runner was on second base, it would be communicated to the hitter what was coming. From the preliminary description we have, that sounds like something a lot of teams were doing, and far from as intricate as what the Astros employed (this required getting a runner on base after all).

Unless you are inferring that Betts somehow had knowledge of every pitch from every AB of his MVP season, that's not even close to a fair knock on him, especially when we know how many other teams were doing the same thing.

Hunter - I think you are looking back at the FIRST time the Red Sox were caught cheating. We don't know what they were doing exactly in 2018. But if Cora was hitting garbage cans and maybe buzzing players in HOuston .... You can guess he was doing something similar in Boston.

**********I DO NOT HAVE JUDGE ON MY LIST*********

**************I SAID WHEN JUDGE IS HEALTHY*********

..... I will also add ...

When Judge is healthy and Betts doesn't know which pitch is coming. The one year Judge was healthy he was #2 in MVP to the cheater Altuve.

Sorry but you guys are blowing Betts WAAAAAAAY too much.

Let's see what happens this year when Betts isn't cheating.

Hunter - I think you are looking back at the FIRST time the Red Sox were caught cheating. We don't know what they were doing exactly in 2018. But if Cora was hitting garbage cans and maybe buzzing players in HOuston .... You can guess he was doing something similar in Boston.
There were reports published already that outline and what the Red Sox were alleged to have done in 2018. I summarized that in my post, but you continue to insist Betts knew every pitch that was coming that season. There was nothing in the published reports about the team using a drum or garbage can banging.

So uless you know some kind of inside information that hasn't been published yet, you are right that we don't know what exactly was going on, so to assume guys knew every pitch they were getting that year is wrong.

billyS

Reign of Terror
So who do you guys like for the 5th starter?
I see Montgomery grabbing it.
Although I think Loaisiga has the best stuff but he seems to break down after a few inning. I think he can be a Chad Greene type reliever, multiple innings.
Devi needs a full year at AAA.
Dark horse might be Clarke Schmidt.