2020 Yankees

I heard on the MLB station that Cashman told Cole and Scott Boras that "The money will be there". That isn't always enough. PLus should Cole blow out his arm in the first year we will have ZERO payroll room to replace him. I am unsure how I would feel about another $300 mill contract (or more).
Quality pitching can be expensive.
The Yankees need a fucking ace. Cole is an ace..

Quality pitching can be expensive.
The Yankees need a fucking ace. Cole is an ace..
I don't necessarily disagree .... BUT .... if he bows out his arm and we are stuck with that contract and Stanton's contract .... you can say goodbye to Judge and maybe even Torres. At some point Hal is going to say no more with the payroll. It is not like it is $30 to $35 mill for 1,2 or 3 years .. he is going to probably ask for 10 years and accept 6 or 7. I guess I would gamble with a 6 year or 7 year contract ...but I realize we can get FUCKED HARD IN THE ASS should he get hurt. Don't be so fast to hand out such large contracts. NOT signing Cano looks to be one of their best moves ever.

But not signing Cano led to us signing Elsbury, I guess it was a little better, saved 90 million. But Cano was more productive than Elsbury was.

I agree with you Steve, that is a boatload of cash and years, and if he gets hurt the Yanks are FUCKED. If that was the real Paxton we saw end of year, with a healthy Severino, Tanaka in a walk year pitching for another contract, and German, I like the rotation. It doesn't mean it cant be made better. I would rather take a flyer on Bumgarner on less years and money, and then add a nice bullpen piece. I still think there is an ace to be had via trade with Frazier, Andujar, and other prospects. I can't fathom laying out all that cash and Cole or Strasburg getting hurt.

I still think we need left handed bat in the lineup NOT named Gardner.

You are right about Cano/Ellsbury. Cashman has made his share of blunders. I actually hope he does sign Cole. I have been thinking about it. Championship teams have a window. The Yankees window is NOW!! They can't wait for ELsbury's and Happs contracts to expire ... They should sign Cole ... because if they do ... they will be far and away the #1 favorite to win it all. They should also sign Didi and Betances. Blow out the payroll now cause it is our best chance to get a championship. If they don't ... chances are we fall short and then they cry poverty and not sign Judge/Torres/Sanchez and our window closes. So I am officially on board with signing Cole for 7 years and god knows how much money. If the Angels want to giv him 10 years and $400 mill - they can have him. There is a line and I think mine will be high enough to sign him.

I'm surprised by how many of you guys want Coal (in spirit of the holidays). Of course I do too, and he is a stud, but if this guy decides that he got his contract and can take his foot off the gas, or gets hurt, Yanks are screwed, for YEARS! 280 million is not a risk I would be willing to take. However, Steve you are right on point, as their window IS RIGHT NOW.

Sounds legit, as I read they brought Petitte in as part of the recruiting process. Yanks must be really serious about getting Coal/Stras.

Should be interesting, but I still think he ends up on the left coast. Of course he has to assure the Yanks he has no West coast Bias, without the Yankees in on the bidding, Boras can't leverage the Angels or Dodgers, where I think he ultimately ends up.

Yanks were smart to bring in Pettite to help recruit Cole. They bring in a Steroid user, who as a free agent left the Yanks to go to the Astros. Real smart.

Question. I know this question is tough to ask here because 80% of the Yanks fans are biased and really dont know Baseball, they just this the world revolves around the Yanks.
Question is, Forgetting the Steroids, is Andy Pettite a Hall of famer? Only one 20 twice. winning 300 and you get in. But nobody will win 300 anymore. He won over 250, should that be the new benchmark?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Question. I know this question is tough to ask here because 80% of the Yanks fans are biased and really dont know Baseball, they just this the world revolves around the Yanks.
Question is, Forgetting the Steroids, is Andy Pettite a Hall of famer? Only one 20 twice. winning 300 and you get in. But nobody will win 300 anymore. He won over 250, should that be the new benchmark?
No. He was never a dominant pitcher. Very good but not great.
That said if they keep lowering the bar, if Schilling gets in then Pettite, Wells, Cone and Kevin Brown have an argument.

He has great post season numbers as well.
I know this should go into a NY Giants thread, but, People think Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer. Really? Average QB, with 2 Super Bowls. Pettite is a far better pitch that Eli was a QB. I know its hard to compare. But I guess, me just even asking about Pettite being a HOF is a compliment to him... No doubt, really good, but I agree, just misses out.

With Mike Mussina getting in last year, there's reason to consider Pettite to the HOF based on statistics. Too bad we got Moose a little too late in his career. Great pitcher? Maybe. I was surprised that he got in so quickly.

But true greatness for pitchers that I have seen include Mariano Rivera, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, Roger Clemens (pre-juice), Smoltz, Randy Johnson. (forgive me for those that I may have missed the last 50 years) So Pettite should not be in that conversation. And the PED violation doesn't help.

Frankly, Ron Guidry is far and away the greatest Yankee pitcher that I have seen but his limited career eliminates him.

BUT, Bert Blyleven is in the HOF at 287-250 which is INSANE if you ask me. It's like Bon Jovi being in the R&R hall of fame. A compiler.

So back to comparison to Mussina and Pettite.

Mussina 270-153 3.68 2,813 K's - HOF
(post season 7-8 3.81)

Pettite 256-153 3.85 2,448 K's
(post season 19-11 3.81)

billyS

Reign of Terror
With Mike Mussina getting in last year, there's reason to consider Pettite to the HOF based on statistics. Too bad we got Moose a little too late in his career. Great pitcher? Maybe. I was surprised that he got in so quickly.

But true greatness for pitchers that I have seen include Mariano Rivera, Bob Gibson, Tom Seaver, Jim Palmer, Roger Clemens (pre-juice), Smoltz, Randy Johnson. (forgive me for those that I may have missed the last 50 years) So Pettite should not be in that conversation. And the PED violation doesn't help.

Frankly, Ron Guidry is far and away the greatest Yankee pitcher that I have seen but his limited career eliminates him.

BUT, Bert Blyleven is in the HOF at 287-250 which is INSANE if you ask me. It's like Bon Jovi being in the R&R hall of fame. A compiler.

So back to comparison to Mussina and Pettite.

Mussina 270-153 3.68 2,813 K's - HOF
(post season 7-8 3.81)

Pettite 256-153 3.85 2,448 K's
(post season 19-11 3.81)
Great post.
I'd add Steve Carlton, Catfish Hunter, Juan Marichal and Nolan Ryan to that list of 70's guys and Pedro to more modern times.

Great post.
I'd add Steve Carlton, Catfish Hunter, Juan Marichal and Nolan Ryan to that list of 70's guys and Pedro to more modern times.
Funny, I was just going to add Catfish but I timed out. And agree with you,those should have made my list. I loved Marichal when I was a kid, the big leg kick and all. Who didn't mimic him in neighborhood wiffle ball games?

billyS

Reign of Terror
Funny, I was just going to add Catfish but I timed out. And agree with you,those should have made my list. I loved Marichal when I was a kid, the big leg kick and all. Who didn't mimic him in neighborhood wiffle ball games?
Some of Marichails stats are sick if you look at some of his starts, complete games and innings pitched.
Tiant was my favorite to mimic in wiffle and nerf ball.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Man, you're not kidding.....

1963-1969 (seven year span)

154-65 ERA - around 2.40 over 1,400 K's

174 complete games
38 shutouts

These are Koufax like numbers.
There was a game in the 60's, I know one of the pitchers was Marichial the other night have been Koufax but they both went 13 or 14 innings. That's two or three starts for today's snowflakes.