2020 Yankees

Yeah they only won 103 games last year.
103 games won and where did it get them Billy? I as a Yankee fan measure success in Championships won. I feel there are a lot of question marks with the roster, a lot of guys who have choked in crunch time. So in my opinion, a lot of work to do to straighten the roster out and make it WS Champions.

Concerns for me:

1b - Not a voit fan, too many K's, not enough contact for that position
3b - Urshela was a nice story, but the league started to figure him out a bit, it could be pumpkin time for heem
CF - Hicks likely out all year, who is it? Gardner? Did you see how dreadful he was in the playoffs and how much he tailed off last two months of season?
Starting pitching - Need 2 quality starters, 1 being an elite ace caliber type
Bullpen - Lot of innings on most of those guys, not a huge Ottavino fan. Would be great to get Betances back on a 1 year prove it type of deal. Or shift a guy like German/Loisiga maybe even Cruz into a more defined bullpen role.
C - Defensively Sanchez sucks, 32 hrs and a 232 average don't do it for me. Rob Deer "Lite"
Of Course Joanne-Carlo, can't leave her out. He is our Cespedes but we stuck much longer. Guy has to be healthy and stay on the field. Still swings like an animal at balls out of the strike zone (when he's not hurt) he has to contribute during the season, be more protection for Judge in the lineup, make pitchers scared of him again.

Love to hear what you think or any of you guys think. I am a pessimist, so therein lies my bleak outlook.

or win 103 and lose again in the ALCS. Status quo isn't something that suits me as a fan. They have a LOT of unanswered questions with their position players. Torres, DJ, Judge, then a bunch of question marks. Maybe toss Gardner back in there when he resigns.

billyS

Reign of Terror
103 games won and where did it get them Billy? I as a Yankee fan measure success in Championships won. I feel there are a lot of question marks with the roster, a lot of guys who have choked in crunch time. So in my opinion, a lot of work to do to straighten the roster out and make it WS Champions.

Concerns for me:

1b - Not a voit fan, too many K's, not enough contact for that position
3b - Urshela was a nice story, but the league started to figure him out a bit, it could be pumpkin time for heem
CF - Hicks likely out all year, who is it? Gardner? Did you see how dreadful he was in the playoffs and how much he tailed off last two months of season?
Starting pitching - Need 2 quality starters, 1 being an elite ace caliber type
Bullpen - Lot of innings on most of those guys, not a huge Ottavino fan. Would be great to get Betances back on a 1 year prove it type of deal. Or shift a guy like German/Loisiga maybe even Cruz into a more defined bullpen role.
C - Defensively Sanchez sucks, 32 hrs and a 232 average don't do it for me. Rob Deer "Lite"
Of Course Joanne-Carlo, can't leave her out. He is our Cespedes but we stuck much longer. Guy has to be healthy and stay on the field. Still swings like an animal at balls out of the strike zone (when he's not hurt) he has to contribute during the season, be more protection for Judge in the lineup, make pitchers scared of him again.

Love to hear what you think or any of you guys think. I am a pessimist, so therein lies my bleak outlook.
I think you're way off on Sanchez. He is not a bad defense catcher. It seems you are just waiting for a passed ball to be able to say "look see, he sucks".
Like Cashman has been saying he gives the Yankees a huge advantage when he is behind the plate.
I don't think this team needs to be rebuilt but my takes;
I'd like to see a lefty swinging, gold glove type first baseman, Voto or Hosemer maybe instead of Voit.
I've seen enough of Bird, he is another Nick Johnson, I think Ford is a great depth piece but I wouldn't hand him the job.
I love Urshela but I think he has to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Although there have been guys, Justin Turner comes to mind, who figured it out after struggling.
They need to find a spot for Miggy, the guy can rake.
I hate Stanton's contract. Big mistake taking it on. Huge mistake.
Getting Cole would be the best move because he would make every one else better.
I want Bettances back.

Maybe Andujar can play LF? 1B? I like Urshella at 3B. Voit is pretty good. He walks a lot - his OBP is very good. He gets another shot. If he fails you can try Andujar or maybe Ford. Definitely will sign at least one starter. Gardner will play CF untill Hicks gets back. I hate Hicks by the way but they just gave him a big contract and Cashman has an IMMENSE hard on for the guy.

I think you're way off on Sanchez. He is not a bad defense catcher. It seems you are just waiting for a passed ball to be able to say "look see, he sucks".
Like Cashman has been saying he gives the Yankees a huge advantage when he is behind the plate.
I don't think this team needs to be rebuilt but my takes;
I'd like to see a lefty swinging, gold glove type first baseman, Voto or Hosemer maybe instead of Voit.
I've seen enough of Bird, he is another Nick Johnson, I think Ford is a great depth piece but I wouldn't hand him the job.
I love Urshela but I think he has to prove last year wasn't a fluke. Although there have been guys, Justin Turner comes to mind, who figured it out after struggling.
They need to find a spot for Miggy, the guy can rake.
I hate Stanton's contract. Big mistake taking it on. Huge mistake.
Getting Cole would be the best move because he would make every one else better.
I want Bettances back.
I hope I am wrong about Sanchez, but what I have seen over last two seasons is a player who is injury prone, lackadaisical behind the plate, striking out way too much/can't hit the better pitchers in the league, ESPECIALLY in crunch time / Playoffs.

What did Steinbrenner call Winfield back in the day? Mr. May? Not equating the two, because Winfield Way better than Sanchez is or will ever be. But I think it was a reference to Winfield sucking in the '81 World Series and not coming through in the clutch the way Reg did in the late 70's run. Sanchez and a few other current Yanks have struggled mightily in the bigger series. For me, thats where the roster needs to be more refined. Of course they're a great team, but I am not cool with just making the playoffs or the ALCS, I want a fucking Championship, it's been too fucking long. I know I can hear the boo birds now because I am that spoiled Yankee fan, well so what, nothing wrong with winning and wanting to win all the time.

I liked the Bird/Nick Johnson comparison, totally forgot about that guy. Two very similar players with their injuries for sure.

Hopefully the hot stove starts heating up, shit is boring waiting. There should be a deadline on Free Agent signings.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Ellsbury released!
Bird DFA.

They needed the roster space for some studs that need to be protected in the Rule 5 draft.

I liked Bird, I thought he could be a star but he is just to fragile. They could resign him to a minor league contract and see what happens.

Ellsbury released!
Bird DFA.

They needed the roster space for some studs that need to be protected in the Rule 5 draft.

I liked Bird, I thought he could be a star but he is just to fragile. They could resign him to a minor league contract and see what happens.
About time. They can only hold on to them and get nothing for so long. That Elsbury deal make the Bobby Bonilla deal look like a steal.

I know Ellsbury had only one good year in Boston but being there for 7 years. . Not sure why he had that one big time year, then the next 2 werent good, then The yanks signed him to that crazy contract. Not doubt, he was talented and definitely a 5 tool player when healthy. He was just never healthy. Too bad too, because I kind of liked Ellsbury. He will always be hated by Yankee fans because of that contract and produced nothing and has become the worse contract in Yank history, but I do believe is was all about injuries, and I do not believe he was ever healthy enough to play and just didnt. I wish he stayed healthy and see what he could have been.

billyS

Reign of Terror
I know Ellsbury had only one good year in Boston but being there for 7 years. . Not sure why he had that one big time year, then the next 2 werent good, then The yanks signed him to that crazy contract. Not doubt, he was talented and definitely a 5 tool player when healthy. He was just never healthy. Too bad too, because I kind of liked Ellsbury. He will always be hated by Yankee fans because of that contract and produced nothing and has become the worse contract in Yank history, but I do believe is was all about injuries, and I do not believe he was ever healthy enough to play and just didnt. I wish he stayed healthy and see what he could have been.
Maybe.
But my guess is that the one year he hit 32 homers for Boston he was dipping into Big Papi's stash of roids.
He never came close to that in any of his other years. He also had two years in Boston where he only played a handful of game.
He was also asked to do things he wasn't used to. Like the first year he batted third a lot because Jeter was still around.
I can't say I hated him, but I hated the contract. Just like I hate Stanton's contract.

Maybe.
But my guess is that the one year he hit 32 homers for Boston he was dipping into Big Papi's stash of roids.
He never came close to that in any of his other years. He also had two years in Boston where he only played a handful of game.
He was also asked to do things he wasn't used to. Like the first year he batted third a lot because Jeter was still around.
I can't say I hated him, but I hated the contract. Just like I hate Stanton's contract.
I hear you. Horrible contract.

He hasn't been right since his surgery. I see no future for him with the Yankees.
You're probably right, he couldn't get anyone out this season. I just remember the potential and hype with him a few years ago. Crazy how quickly these players can go from stud to minor league fodder. I would think this year is a big one for him, now a year plus removed from the surgery. I'm still holding out hope.