2017 Mets

I was at 2 of the games VS the Dodgers and if it were not for great tail gates, it would have sucked. Also, the stadium was filled and there were a lot of Dodger fans there. Never saw so many fans of a visiting team as I did VS dodgers. Not with any sport.
Mr. Wiggley is right that there are a lot of Cowboy fans in NY. It stems from their great teams in the late 60's and 70's. Most young people when they choose a team to follow they select a team that is doing well at that time. This is so true with the young Yankee fans that are between the ages of 20- 30. I have quite few nephews that fall into this age category that lived in different states and they chose Yankees and not the teams playing in their state.

As far as Dodgers fans you have a lot of a carry over from the Brooklyn Dodgers years parents who followed the team and their children following along with their parents. You see this all over NY, kids following Packers, Seahawks, Colts, Steelers, etcetera. Poor Jets!!!!

I am a true Yankee fan that hates the Mets but I can be subjective about them. I think Sandy has done a great job considering the restrictions he has had to work with. I think they made a mistake with Cespedes. Now that he has a long term contract I think you will see a considerable slide.
Certainly looking at his lack of production this year and his bout on the disabled list it is hard to argue against you. When the Mets acquired him in 2015 from the Tigers he had an incredible run with the Mets to complete 2015 season. He was one of the main reasons why we one the division. In 2016, he had another very good year despite his hamstring issues and once again was instrumental in getting the Mets to the postseason. If the Mets are going to comeback next year we need Cespedes to be that ballplayer he was in the second half of 2015. The signing of Cespedes was necessary and I HOPE that he comes back with a vengeance and has a healthy strong 2018 season. This is not to say that I would like to see him finish strong for the rest of this season. Supposedly, he loves it in NY, he loves being a Met and he loves the fans. If this is true then we will see better results then what we have seen thus far this year.

Mr. Wiggley is right that there are a lot of Cowboy fans in NY. It stems from their great teams in the late 60's and 70's. Most young people when they choose a team to follow they select a team that is doing well at that time. This is so true with the young Yankee fans that are between the ages of 20- 30. I have quite few nephews that fall into this age category that lived in different states and they chose Yankees and not the teams playing in their state.

As far as Dodgers fans you have a lot of a carry over from the Brooklyn Dodgers years parents who followed the team and their children following along with their parents. You see this all over NY, kids following Packers, Seahawks, Colts, Steelers, etcetera. Poor Jets!!!!
Very few Brooklyn Dodger fans followed them to LA. Most just rooted for anyone playing against the Yankees. Some picked up the Metropolitans when they came to town. There are numerous documentaries on how upset and angry dodger fans were after the move. Some wore black and mourned for over a year, which I think is a little excessive.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
I would certainly nominate the Mets as the hard luck teem of MLB the past two seasons. Love him or hate him that poor bastard Collins will lose his job and it's really not his fault.

My dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan He never took me to a ballgame because he was so bitter. I saw my first game with the cub scouts. The Yankees were playing in Shea Stadium at the time. Because of my father's bitterness I never got a chance to see the old original stadium.

I would certainly nominate the Mets as the hard luck teem of MLB the past two seasons. Love him or hate him that poor bastard Collins will lose his job and it's really not his fault.
This is the last year of Collins contract. I believe he is the second oldest manager in baseball today. I doubt if he will return after this year as it was a difficult year with all the injuries. If he does sign it will only be for one year at a time.

My dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan He never took me to a ballgame because he was so bitter. I saw my first game with the cub scouts. The Yankees were playing in Shea Stadium at the time. Because of my father's bitterness I never got a chance to see the old original stadium.
Very few Brooklyn Dodger fans followed them to LA. Most just rooted for anyone playing against the Yankees. Some picked up the Metropolitans when they came to town. There are numerous documentaries on how upset and angry dodger fans were after the move. Some wore black and mourned for over a year, which I think is a little excessive.
Good point TheRicker, now that you mention it I remember hearing about fans being disgruntled over their move. LISteve my dad was also a Brooklyn Dodger fan and when they left he became a Met fan and of course me and my brothers windup being Met fans as well. My dad still followed the Dodgers however and quite honestly although I wasn't born until the 60's I too followed them as did my brothers.

Jay Bruce to Cleveland for a 30th round pitcher. Embrace the tank!
The only reason the Mets made this trade was to save money and to try and boost their depleted farm system. Bruce for whatever the reason was viewed to much as a one dimensional player and showed very little interest by other teams. He is a free agent after the season and I hope that the Mets will consider bringing him back. He has been one of the most consistent player on this team and they have nobody in their organization that can duplicate his production. IMO he is a better defensive player then what he is given credit for. I also like the fact how he hustles in the outfield and how he runs out every ground ball hit. He plays the game the way the game was meant to be played.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
Good point TheRicker, now that you mention it I remember hearing about fans being disgruntled over their move. LISteve my dad was also a Brooklyn Dodger fan and when they left he became a Met fan and of course me and my brothers windup being Met fans as well. My dad still followed the Dodgers however and quite honestly although I wasn't born until the 60's I too followed them as did my brothers.
You know what always amazes me with the whole Dodger thing, the Giants left also and it seemed nobody gave a shit.

The giants were too close to Yankee stadium. Not much of a fan base I guess. Nobody cares about the baseball giants still. Except Chris Russo and some dick that I work with.
Not to be a dick, but the Yankees were too close to the Giants. Both teams shared The Polo Grounds way back when, but when the Yankees started being more successful and, more importantly, sold more tickets the Giants kicked them out. The original Yankee Stadium was built where it was to taunt the Giants as it could be seen clearly from The Polo Grounds.

The only reason the Mets made this trade was to save money and to try and boost their depleted farm system. Bruce for whatever the reason was viewed to much as a one dimensional player and showed very little interest by other teams. He is a free agent after the season and I hope that the Mets will consider bringing him back. He has been one of the most consistent player on this team and they have nobody in their organization that can duplicate his production. IMO he is a better defensive player then what he is given credit for. I also like the fact how he hustles in the outfield and how he runs out every ground ball hit. He plays the game the way the game was meant to be played.
The Mets had a better offer from the Yankees but would have had to eat some money. Wilpon said no. They are still cheap. Sell the team now Wilpons and let the fans have a break. Stick your thumbs in your mouths and pout about all the money you lost when you should have known better.

LW try going to a Giants- Cowboys game.maybe 60-40.
Always been an issue in a city as diverse as NY. Fans from all over live or move here.
I agree. I was at a Jets Steelers game and same thing...
The Mets had a better offer from the Yankees but would have had to eat some money. Wilpon said no. They are still cheap. Sell the team now Wilpons and let the fans have a break. Stick your thumbs in your mouths and pout about all the money you lost when you should have known better.
You are right. Not sure though if Wilpon got involved... I think the budget is so tight, they saved that little extra money for next season... Or they would have less to spend. Take the better fucking offer... It was a matter of like 3 or 4 million.

LW try going to a Giants- Cowboys game.maybe 60-40.
Always been an issue in a city as diverse as NY. Fans from all over live or move here.
I agree. I was at a Jets Steelers game and same thing...
You are right. Not sure though if Wilpon got involved... I think the budget is so tight, they saved that little extra money for next season... Or they would have less to spend. Take the better fucking offer... It was a matter of like 3 or 4 million.
I am a true Yankee fan that hates the Mets but I can be subjective about them. I think Sandy has done a great job considering the restrictions he has had to work with. I think they made a mistake with Cespedes. Now that he has a long term contract I think you will see a considerable slide.
You , LIsteve, are never ever subjective about the Mets...lol.. Never..

Hey LW ... I was 100% on the money with Reyes though! Best move the Mets made was NOT to sign him. Now they have him back at the major league minimum. He is hitting 220 and stinks ... but at least you aren't paying him his ridiculous salary.