2017 Mets

It's been very lonely in Metsville lately. But finally we have something to be proud of tonight. Mets climb out of the cellar on the backs of the Braves, scoring 16 runs without a single home run. Great RISP ratio.

Reyes back in the groove. A couple of brain farts on the base paths though by him and Walker.

As a bonus, we beat Colon. Looks like that was one that we let get away that I won't be regretting. Still smarting from letting Murphy walk though.

Another bright spot is that Wilmer was reactivated after battling a staph infection. But Mets' pitchers still have a staff infection as DeGrom gives up 5 runs. All in all, though, a satisfying win. But no where near the elation that Yanks fans are feeling.

Hey Banacek, I tape and watch every Met game with exception to Sunday's slaughter fest on behalf of the Nationals. Watching what Murphy had done last year and what he is doing this year is a difficult pill to swallow. He had a phenomenal 2015 post season but nobody had seen this where he would be hitting 340. Shockingly our strength which was supposed to be our starting pitching staff has pitched to a 5.45 ERA since 4/14/17. DeGrom last two starts where he has walked 6 and 5 respectively has been so uncharacteristically. Hearing Harvey's post game comments where he spoke of positives that he saw was a real head scratcher!!! Nelson Figueroa was spot on for blasting him after that terrible performance.They just haven't played good baseball in all aspects of the game. I do believe they will right the ship and start playing good fundamental baseball. The starting pitching I believe will come around as well as there bats. Losing Syndergaard was a tremendous blow to this team and hopefully we will soon see a healthy Matz and Lugo in about 4 weeks. Wheeler pitches tonight and despite his @ 4.50 ERA he has pitched better. He still needs to work on his control and pitch count but I do believe he too will come around.

I generally like Terry Collins but sometimes I just don't agree with his managerial moves or lack thereof. To most Mets fans when you see early on that Familia is having command issues with his sinker you need to move quickly and get him out of the game. Also, why not make late inning defensive replacements. Should we have TJ Rivera playing first and Flores at third. They certainly have better defensive options at those positions. When Lagares isn't starting he will sometimes put him in Center and move Granderson to right and sit Bruce. Why didn't he think about the same thing at first and third yesterday? TC stays with someof his relief pitchers too long and others like Blevins pull very quickly. Yesterday was one of those games they shouldn't have lost!!!

And now Familia... done for season.
As much as everyone says to build through pitching I am starting to think you have to build through offense and patchwork pitching because of all todays arm issues. 5 potential great, highly touted pitchers in 2 years could turn out to be 1

With all the issues pitchers have nowadays, I don't see how any tean can afford to give out multi-year contracts. Then again, I imagine insurance covers their asses when a pitcher goes down. And so they probably don't really care and just charge it off as a cost of doing business. And we, the fans, pay for it at the gate, in merchandise, or in cable fees. The little guy gets screwed and these delicate babes get rich.

Yeah insurance covers about 90% when a player goes down. Sunday's lost was devastating to watch. It is amazing how the entire bullpen imploded. This is why relief pitchers rarely get 4 years or longer contracts. Most relief pitchers are very unpredictable year to year. They need to consider getting a guy like Fister and sending Gsellmann down to triple A. Keeping him up at this level is doing him more harm then good. Don't be surprised that we will see Wheeler at some point this season closing games with his inning restrictions. They have to hope that both Matz and Lugo come back pitching well. DeGrom will be fine and I am not worried there. Harvey is a concern as he may need a shrink. He certainly lacks confidence and his demeanor on the mound isn't good at all. The bats are starting to come around and Cespedes will be back in about 2 weeks but the pitching staff at this point is a big question mark. The Diamondbacks have played pretty good ball so far this year and leads the league in stolen bases. Lets see what happens this evening.

Okay I know I am asking for sarcasm especially from Anti-Mets fans but where the heck are all the Mets fans? We are now getting to look at Amed Rosario at short and Dominic Smith will be up shortly. We all know that this was suppose to have been our year to compete and that the Yankees were rebuilding for the future. Fortunately the Yankees have played good baseball overall and has an excellent chance of making the post season while the Mets have been a BIG disappointment!!! Despite the terrible year and the lack of consistency and health of our pitching staff I am still confident that the Mets weill get it done in 2018.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
I will admit I have no use for the Mets. That said the amount of injuries they have had the last two years is shocking to me.

I will admit I have no use for the Mets. That said the amount of injuries they have had the last two years is shocking to me.
You are absolutely correct. I am sure some people have heard about the workout program that both Cepedes and Syndergaard did in the off season. Well both players have now changed their position on how to prepare for the season. The Mets have had inordinate amount of injuries to key players these past two years. Hopefully things will change in 2018 and like lightweight mentioned that we get healthy.

I think pitching ... especially young unproven pitching without track records .... have a chance of suffering injuries. If they provide 2 or 3 solid years of no injuries ... then you can project years of good service. I don't know if there is one like that on the Mets staff ... Maybe DeGrom. That is why I was not so hot about Sonny Gray. AND that is why we were able to get him without giving up the top prospects. Mets are going to have a hard time keeping all these guys on the hill. I DOUBT that you will get 30 starts out of half these guys.

I think pitching ... especially young unproven pitching without track records .... have a chance of suffering injuries. If they provide 2 or 3 solid years of no injuries ... then you can project years of good service. I don't know if there is one like that on the Mets staff ... Maybe DeGrom. That is why I was not so hot about Sonny Gray. AND that is why we were able to get him without giving up the top prospects. Mets are going to have a hard time keeping all these guys on the hill. I DOUBT that you will get 30 starts out of half these guys.
The track record certainly hasn't been good for any of these guys thus far with the exception of DeGrom. But you might be right LISteve!!! Of course I hope you're not but hopefully these guys do whatever take to stay healthy on the field.

Hi Lightweight, I am an avid Met fan and watch most of the games and listen to sports radio a lot. What came out about 3-4 weeks ago was that Syndergaard, Harvey and Cespedes acknowledged that DeGrom's workout with running and using the bands might be the best route to stay healthy throughout the year. I believe Cespedes also changed his strength and conditioning trainers. I know most Met fans are annoyed at their lack of energy this past weekend and I am sure like me you were disgusted in how they played. They have a lot of question marks and possible changes that will be made.I imagine that from now until the end of the season will determine who they will keep and who they will get rid of. I am hopeful about Bruce as he seems to always give a 100%. As far as the rest of them I still have to see Walker turn things around. I do think that he represents their best 2nd base choice defensively.

Mr. Wiggley I am a Met fan first but I don't dislike the Yankees. I know most Met fans hate the Yankees and vice versa. You know the Yankees play the Mets later this month, I believe how would your hatred for the Mets might come back and bite you on the ass!!! Lol!!!
Yes it will

I was at 2 of the games VS the Dodgers and if it were not for great tail gates, it would have sucked. Also, the stadium was filled and there were a lot of Dodger fans there. Never saw so many fans of a visiting team as I did VS dodgers. Not with any sport.

Mr. Wiggley

But what do I know I'm a bad guy
LW try going to a Giants- Cowboys game.maybe 60-40.
Always been an issue in a city as diverse as NY. Fans from all over live or move here.

I am a true Yankee fan that hates the Mets but I can be subjective about them. I think Sandy has done a great job considering the restrictions he has had to work with. I think they made a mistake with Cespedes. Now that he has a long term contract I think you will see a considerable slide.