New Board Software Questions

Noticed that when I click on a thread to view the first review/comment on the listing is not the most recent, but rather the first post in that thread from day one. How do I set up my viewing so that the most recent post appears at the top of the page and the rest of the posts are listed from the most recent to the first one ever made?

There is a "conversation" page in the new software - is this similar to the private message feature on other forums and is it active here?

It looks like we need to reload our avatars - is that correct?

Sculptor69

I just posted a reply in the Craigslist/Backpage section, and I messed up making the quote look like a quote. I did NOT see an edit button available to me, even though I checked immediately afterwards and a minute later... Is there still an edit feature? Also, can I (or you) somehow fix my post?

Prefer the old board setup. You can not find the most recent posts. This new software sucks. I believe that if it is not broke, then do not fix it.

New post window is missing .
Don't understand what you mean by "window," because there is a NEW POSTS link at the top of the page. Clicking on it brings you to a chronological listing of the most recent posts. Then there is a statement cut-off that indicates where the older posts that you have already seen begin. Also, there is a preference option to mark the forums that you have read. It's the first link shown.

Noticed that when I click on a thread to view the first review/comment on the listing is not the most recent, but rather the first post in that thread from day one. How do I set up my viewing so that the most recent post appears at the top of the page and the rest of the posts are listed from the most recent to the first one ever made?
Sculptor69
There used to be a preference option to view threads with the most recent post at the top so that the postings appeared in reverse order. This made it easy to see the most recent comments. It was especially good, because you didn't have to click on the last page in a thread to get at the most current. That option does not appear to be available in the preferences for the new software.

There is, however, a feature that on each thread that allows you to pick up reading from where you last left off. I tried to use that to skip past all the comments I had already read, but I wasn't able to navigate it properly. I found that sometimes it was taking me a few comments above where I wanted to be. I guess I will have to familiarize myself with it more to use it successfully.

Having formatting icons prominently displayed right on top of the reply box, just like in a word processor, is a great feature of the new software.

Not being able to see members post counts under their screen names is a hindrance. Post counts lent credibility to members. Also lacking is a link to view members other posts. Maybe these are features that will be available later but just haven't been turned on yet.

Don't understand what you mean by "window," because there is a NEW POSTS link at the top of the page. Clicking on it brings you to a chronological listing of the most recent posts. Then there is a statement cut-off that indicates where the older posts that you have already seen begin. Also, there is a preference option to mark the forums that you have read. It's the first link shown.

Window appears now after more refinements to new software. I know it will take some time to shake things down. So don't get so up tight .

Window appears now after more refinements to new software. I know it will take some time to shake things down. So don't get so up tight .
Up tight? It may be new software, but it doesn't help with the same old misunderstandings. I thought I was merely pointing out what I saw and how I used it. And my last post contained a comment that pondered the exact scenario you describe about more refinements.

Thanks guys keep em coming. Post counts are live , I'm adding/fixing stuff as I have time.

Allen
Thanks for that explanation, Allen. I'm sure this has been a daunting task and I realize that the board would have been down considerably longer had you incorporated all the features before going live.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to the membership if you would list the features that will be coming down the pike, so we would know what to expect. Also, you should consider removing the question mark after your title in order to instill more confidence to the members that you're up to the task. ;)

Need option to sort oldest to newest instead of newest to oldest. If I come into a thread already in progress i like the ability to read it in chronological order by scrolling down as I read.

Definitely not a fan, and I've seen a number of boards go from very popular to no more from changing software, so best wishes, but I'm not liking it.

Members need to give the new software some time before making judgement. The features that users are asking about all appear to be in place. I have not found a single feature from the old software that is lacking here. You just have to familiarize yourself with the functionality of the new software in order to implement the preferences you want. If you can't figure out how to tweak it to your liking, just post a question here and either the webmaster or another member will be sure to explain it.

The layout of the board is another matter. That has certainly changed. And it may take some time to adjust to it. For me, the whiteness of the background is stark. And that is made even more evident by the openness of the type. I have to see if I can go into my browser and change the background color to reduce this contrast. The biggest issue I have with the layout is discerning one post from another. The light blue lines between posts are not enough of a distinction for me. Perhaps this can be changed through my browser also. If not, I am going to heed my own words and see if time will allow me to adjust to the the new layout.