Work Wi-Fi concerns while surfing UG at your job

pokler

Power Bottom
Had you made that clear to begin with, you wouldn't have even had that question. But, yeah, one more question then. How come your concerns about this hobby don't extend to having a burner phone for use in mongering? Or do you just use your iPhone for surfing and a burner phone for calling/texting? Oh, wait, that's two questions. Sorry about that.

My apology if you find the questions annoying, but you opened yourself up to it with all the preaching you do about the stupidity of others. Just trying to get a full picutre on your assessment of "safe sex."
You know I love all this attention. Keep asking. Yes burner for calls to high risk placed like PH , Google voice for hj places. Never use regular phone for calls only surf.

You know I love all this attention. Keep asking. Yes burner for calls to high risk placed like PH , Google voice for hj places. Never use regular phone for calls only surf.
I love how you have such order to hobbying. You could publish a manifesto of the gentlemen's guide to hobbying that would make Hugh Hefner proud. Genius could, too, with his one-crime-at-a-time theme. Perhaps I should start a UG Manifesto thead for you guys to post it.

Regarding the thread topic, regardless of the agreed upon fact that it carries a risk, I'm convinced that a large portion of browsing and posts originate from work.

I'd be curious to know if anybody, member or lurker, has gotten terminated due to browsing UG. I'm not suggesting that it won't happen in the future, but I'm curious if it already has happened.

Corporate structure is also a big variable here. Many situations are vastly different from large corporate structures.

.....With all you rants about protecting your livelihood from dismissal due to indiscretions in hunting for hookers in person, how come indiscretions about looking for hooking online don't pose the same threat for you?
There is a big difference between what I do outside of my employment on my own time using my own resources (or those of Dunkin Donuts Wifi) and that of doing my thing using the resources of my employer who has made it clear that I have no right to any privacy whatsoever. My ( and just about any other employer I would assume) has the right to monitor all my communications using company resources (phone, computer, email, internet, etc).
And in my case (although not all others on this site) has the right to know who I see, talk to, communicate with, etc, anyone who is outside the country and all my activities when I am outside the country.

I have it easy. Any sex related website is already blocked where I work. I have no choice but to pick up a signal off the street and go in through my optimum account. Hell, half the damn news sights are blocked too.

Does anyone know if using Firefox private browsing help prevent the higher ups from seeing what I'm doing?
NO! It's the same concept as Chrome's incognito browsing. When you open a new incognito tab, you'll see this, "... you aren’t invisible. Going incognito doesn’t hide your browsing from your employer, your internet service provider, or the websites you visit." All of the URLs accessed by the router can be logged onto a company server and reported to the boss. And I wouldn't put it past some employers to use keyloggers as well. When you close the private browsing (or incognito) window, you'll delete the browser history and cookies from the local computer only. If you read most company's computer use policies, they'll make it clear that there should be no expectation of privacy. Using the company's desktop to browse what's new on Utopia Guide, even with private browsing, is probably not the way to go if you want to keep your job.

pokler

Power Bottom
Yes. I'm an air traffic controller. Hold on a sec.
"Control to Tennessee 06589. You are too close to Western 5 4 9er. Tennesse do you read me?"
Shit, another one down. Oh, well.
Now what were you saying, pokler?
Well with the UG pension plan you'll be financially secure so no worries.

Consumer Reports recently posted an article on protecting your privacy where they recommend doing web searches through a browser that doesn't track your history. They pointed out that even when you use stealth mode in Google, they themselves still track you. It just doesn't show up in your history.

Anyway, CR recommended DuckDuckGo. So far I've only used it to go to this site. Has anyone had any experience with it that they would like to share.

Last edited:
True, but it's a public network for the whole facility so think it would be hard to trace to my phone.

I need to research so I can hit on way home. Small window. Ukrainian just texted though...hmmm.

This one does have that nice mild look I like too.
I used to do this for a living. If you are on our network we know exactly who/where you are and exactly what are you looking. Network sniffers let us see each packet, source destination and data, in real time. Triggers can be created to watch for specific addresses or text in the data. Don't do it. Especially if a work phone or computer.

If you Google anonymized browsing, looks like there are several levels of privacy available, from software to hardware, depending on your needs and level of paranoia. (including fact based, realistic fears) Tor seems a good fist step, but with a lot of caveats.