Why IS dns not resolving Utopia guide today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slinky Bender

The All Powerful Moderator
FYI Moniker sent us an email yesterday at 4:23am saying they were "reactivating the domain" but the DNS still isn't resolving for me.

You probably have to redo your DNS with Moniker, point it to their servers again and re-enter the entries. You can also have your DNS hosted somewhere else.

And here I thought the whole problem was some pissed off North Korean who decided to take the site down. The host name still isn't working as of this AM; I found it by searching the name of a spa and UG. Glad to see things are still up and running.

I got the URL info from another hobbyist throuh a PM on another board and have given it to anyone who inquires, also on that board.

It's nice to be back.

Slinky: you might want to consider sending out an e-mail to all the UG members (I believe you have it in your database as part of our registration) to let them know how to get back on board.

So I feel like I missed a chapter.

UG became "page not found" a few weeks ago, I thought "oh no" and checked the DNS history to see what would happen if I popped an IP address into my browser, and got nothing. Same result a couple of days later. But there could be other reasons for that, like a web server hosting multiple web sites and/or going through caching devices.

Tried a few Google searches, nothing, but then when I tried again today I found a pointer to the IP address on a Reddit thread and obviously (and thankfully) it worked.

So over two weeks ago Slinky says here that the hosting company Moniker says DNS should be working again. Well, DNS changes can take a day to propagate around the www, but not more than that. And this is more than a missing DNS "A" record.

For example right now a "dig" [ANY] command for UG shows:

opcode QUERY
rcode NXDOMAIN
flags QR RD RA
;QUESTION
utopiaguide.com. IN ANY
;ANSWER
;AUTHORITY
com. 899 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1493155302 1800 900 604800 86400
;ADDITIONAL

A good lookup would contain NS records which are crucial to tell your computer which name servers are responsible for hosting the domain name. NS is like explaining how to find a phone book. Nothing works without that. Then via that "phone book" the computer should find an A record which tells computers what IP address the name is. Then MX (mail exchange) records to explain how to route email. None of that is here. In a perfect world there might also be CNAME, PTR, TXT, etc. records.

So what happened? Did Moniker cock up the web site itself as well as the DNS? Or just the DNS for name resolution?

I'm sure there's no shortage of web-savvy uber nerds on this web site that can help Slinky, myself included. I'm not quite up to the task of moving a XenForo site but I would not mind helping with the DNS issues and possibly domain registration issues. Remember that the domain name registrar (also looks like Moniker according to a whois command) needs to have the "delegation" information set up correctly and according to whois, that has not been done! That's the part that tells the world what DNS servers are authoritative (responsible) for telling the world how to turn utopiaguide.com into 107.170.79.129, etc. It is entirely possible that the DNS really is set up for the web site but without the delegation info in the domain name registration, it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.