Why bother getting married in this day and age.

This is an interesting thread. Have never gone the sugar baby route. When I briefly downloaded seeking arrangements, there were a lot of bots. Also makes me think about how many women my age are selling pussy. Like I tell young men, go to college to find a wife. It's ugly out there.
Getting married is viewed by many Gen z and younger millenials as an antiquated institution.

billyS

Reign of Terror
All the young guys I talk to have no interest in getting married because they only see a downside.

The antiquated divorce laws still heavily favor the woman and they know this.

Woman will still entertain the thought because they know finding the right sucker means getting paid the rest of their lives.

I know a lot of guys chafe at that 6 6 6 standard a lot of Gen Z woman stick to.

That’s one of the problems the laws here favor the women . The men could do mistake a minimal one the woman tries to get even with you or can be any other scenario but that it’s something small once divorced it’s filed no matter what for the men the law on the court it’s going to favor the woman and they won’t give a dam about the men . They will be financially secured. That’s the problem here that’s the problem!! . But yea also it’s not good to end up alone and old . Cheers brothers for the best !

That’s one of the problems the laws here favor the women . The men could do mistake a minimal one the woman tries to get even with you or can be any other scenario but that it’s something small once divorced it’s filed no matter what for the men the law on the court it’s going to favor the woman and they won’t give a dam about the men . They will be financially secured. That’s the problem here that’s the problem!! . But yea also it’s not good to end up alone and old . Cheers brothers for the best !
I know a woman (a teacher) who made a bit more (his legal business was mostly off the books so it looked like he made less) than her husband and had to pay alimony to him.

There are also things called prenups that trump divorce courts.

On the opposite side here—

I know of about a dozen or so of my siblings friends who are recently married or engaged to be

In the age group of 50 plus of couple I know, I would say 80-90% are still married.. Maybe not completely happily, but economics and other reasons prevent divorce.

This is why we have UG and monger

billyS

Reign of Terror
I know a woman (a teacher) who made a bit more (his legal business was mostly off the books so it looked like he made less) than her husband and had to pay alimony to him.
Were there kids involved?
Did they own a house? If yes, who got the house?

There are also things called prenups that trump divorce courts.
Most middle class guys don't even think about a prenup, much less want to or even afford a lawyer to draw one up.

Were there kids involved?
Did they own a house? If yes, who got the house?

Most middle class guys don't even think about a prenup, much less want to or even afford a lawyer to draw one up.
She got the kid (daughter couldn't stand father), he got house and alimony.
New York's Equitable Distribution Law recognizes marriage as an economic as well as a social partnership. The law requires that a judge divide property as fairly as possible. The Equitable Distribution Law talks about two types of property for purposes of divorce: marital property and separate property.

She was shocked when the verdict came down.

NJ is equitable distribution too.
It can get very sticky if business assets are involved.

Also favors joint custody vs sole parent for kids.
As long as there are no other issues like substance abuse, domestic violence etc fathers
do have as much a right to their kids as the mother and a good lawyer can do wonders.

That being said the best way to avoid it all is a prenup. Failing that the next best option
is a negotiated settlement. It may be painful to leave some stuff on the table
and you won't get the deal you want but it is better than slogging it out in divorce court.

I can understand some part of equal distribution but when a woman goes for more than what is necessary is wrong. I feel that if both parties worked and contributed to household that yes equal. Then you have the stay at home wife which is very rare these days and she goes for more than she knows what he can afford is disgusting in my opinion.

billyS

Reign of Terror
Then you have the stay at home wife which is very rare these days and she goes for more than she knows what he can afford is disgusting in my opinion.
Those are the cases that disgust me too
I've known a few guys who fell prey to this. One guy had it coming, he got caught cheating and even when she gave him an out he was arragant about it.
Another one the wife was just a fat cow who was vindictive.

I can understand some part of equal distribution but when a woman goes for more than what is necessary is wrong.......
It's not equal distribution (as you posted) but equitable distribution. The classic example is the wife who worked and supported her husband while he went to med school and as soon as he got licensed to practice medicine he divorces her and marries the hot nurse he met.
Marital property in the State of New York and is subject to equitable division (at least economically) in the event of divorce. The value of the license at the time of a divorce must be divided equitably.

In my case the value of my ex's pension earned during the marriage, as was my stock in my fledging (at the time) company, were marital assets subject to equitable distribution. We called it a Mexican standoff and waived each other claims.

It's not equal distribution (as you posted) but equitable distribution Sorry for the misunderstanding of the terminology I still find it wrong for a woman to go after more than what she knows her husband can afford. As for both spouses earning comparable salaries and agree to waive I agree unless children are involved then child support should be done fairly to see that the child or children do not do without.