What does the past decade of Yankee baseball say?

RoosterC74 said:
First off, I think many people are way over-reacting to the Yanks losing. They were close to moving on, and the Angels played well.

As for the Yankee Farm System, they did bring along a few folks: Mo, Bernie, Soriano, Jorge, Jeter, etc. However, you still have to remember that they traded or bought O'Neil, Brosius, Key, Knoblach, etc.

As for the age of the Yankee Pitching Staff it certainly was old this year. However, Pavano ain't no senior citizen.

Yeah, O'Neil, Key, Knoblach is really the same as trading or buying, Johnson, Clemens, A-rod, Sheffield....etc. I think they could have paid O'neil, Brosuis, Key and Knoblach with what we pay just A-Rod. Also, I'll take O'Neil over A-Rod in any CLUTCH situation.

RoosterC74 said:
Ain't the BOSOX the 2nd highest payroll. Not all that much different than the Yanks. Again, the BOSOX also ran into a hot team-the ChiSox. In a short series almost anything can take place. And the Braves spend a few bucks also.

Sort by:
Median salary
Total payroll
Top 25

Year / Total Payroll

Team Total payroll
New York Yankees $ 208,306,817
Boston Red Sox $ 123,505,125
New York Mets $ 101,305,821
Los Angeles Angels $ 97,725,322
Philadelphia Phillies $ 95,522,000
St. Louis Cardinals $ 92,106,833
San Francisco Giants $ 90,199,500
Seattle Mariners $ 87,754,334
Chicago Cubs $ 87,032,933
Atlanta Braves $ 86,457,302
Los Angeles Dodgers $ 83,039,000
Houston Astros $ 76,779,000

Yes the are second, but its an 85 million dollar difference. Remember the 1996 Yankees had a payroll of 96 Million.

Last edited:
Daddycools list confirms the idea that spending gets you in the game, but does not guarantee ultimate victory in any way shape or form.

So, what's a logical policy?

I'd say cap spending at $100 million......

I would say 125 million shoud get you the right balance of superstars and everyday good/better players. But you really don;t need that cap to be offical becuase only 3 teams are above 100 million. The owners have a cap in place, but they just choose not to use it, or shall I say only George does;t use it. DON"T PAY THE BIG SALARIES!! Someone asks for 252 million dollars, fucking laugh in their face and say no.

The real point is that if the Yanks just pocketed the money or invested in the "science of assessment" (my business) or put the bucks in the minors, they would be no worse off. And I'm not trying to help them. But even when the Sox won last year, there was the tiniest twinge of regret that we didn't have more homegrown players and that so many left once the season was over. I think all of baseball would be better off relying more on the players they developed in their own systems.

Last edited:
They forgot how they became successful in the mid 90s to 2000. Instead of investing in their future by drafting and keeping home grown talent like Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, etc. in a desire to win today an any cost we bring in David Wells, Jeff Weaver (who pitched a lot better for LA), gave up too easy on a young pitcher like Javier Vasquez in exchange for a proven, yet fragile big time lefty called Randy Johnson.

SlickWilly said:
Well, this should be interesting -- Houston versus the Chicago White Sox. On paper, it looks like it will be the Sox. They have such great pitching.
I am not sure that the White Sox has better pitching.
Houston starting 3 (and with travel days you only need 3 starters) were all in the top 10 in ERA this year. Oswalt just won the NCS MVP and Clements and Andy Petit's experience in the WS with the Yanks will probably come into play.

This could very well be the fourth year in a row that a Wild Card team has won the WS.